It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Boycott the Olympics - Dennis Miller

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Transcript here

It's a long transcript so I'll give you the basics.

Dennis Miller suggested this ... and honestly it sounds excellent to me.

He said - no one should boycott the olympics All the world leaders and all the olympians should go. At the opening ceremonies, all the athletes should get together and all wear an armband in support of Tibet. (Something with the Tibet flag??) Or even better - he said to wear part of those monk robes that the Tibetian monks wear. This goes for the athletes as they are marching in as well as the visiting world leaders.

All of China would see the world united in support of Tibet.
So would the Tibetians.

It would be telecast and it would be VERY hard for the communist Chinese to get their grip around all the athletes and all the world leaders.

If it could be pulled off .. wow!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That would be fine, the case is that most likely you will only end up see Western politicians and Western athletes wearing that armband.

Then it would backfire even more, all the people of China will see a confirmaton of what we have seen for the past weeks. "The West is against China, and China have plenty of friends who are not as biased as the West."

Keep the Olympics and Politics seperated, it is because of the miss-understanding of someone's else culture like Dennis Miller which are causing the word's differences getting worse and worse.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You would think after Dennis Miller bombed on Monday Night Football he would steer clear of any discussion having to do with sporting events. Maybe the Olympics will die out just like MNF and Miller's career did. One can only hope!

Peace

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Dennis Miller bombed on Monday Night Football

I know. His career stank. BUT ... it's an interesting idea.

Everyone goes to the olympics.
Wear something in support of the athletes.
All of China would see it.
So would Tibet.

No boycott... but a statement is made.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
China doesn't care about boycotts because they know that most people in the free world would rather watch reruns of Mr. Belvedere than the Olympics. The Olympics isn't even a viable propaganda tool anymore because nobody cares. Women cyclists with full beards are not must see TV.

Peace

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Unfortunately, getting all the world leaders to agree on something is quite a difficult thing to do - it would have to be something done at grass-roots level, kinda like those MakePovertyHistory Wristbands that were distributed at LiveAid*.

Perhaps then the world leaders would take notice, once their citizens were making a show of support.

Perhaps it's something the internet generation could pull off.

*hint, hint*.

*Although the wristbands didn't actually do much to makepovertyhistory, there were a few individuals in the political establishment who took notice, and even started wearing the wristbands themselves.

Maybe that's how the problem should be approached - some sort of massive celebrity fest.

You might even get Bono to make an appearence before he goes back into his cryo-chamber.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
The Olympics isn't even a viable propaganda tool anymore because nobody cares.

Well .. you have a point. I don't know what the numbers are as far as who watches. I don't.

But .. I kinda agreed with the fella. If athletes would go and band together. Even something small like an armband .... the Chinese people themselves would see it.

I thought it was a good idea.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'd listen to another source, but Dennis Mller? That pathetic has been- comic, if you can call him that?
Fox news ambassador of ill will?
O'Reilly's lap dog?

Just how does he qualify to go from telling a few jokes to being FOX POLITICAL ADVISOR????

He's a donkey, but a Bushie and i guess thats all it takes.

Personally, i dont give two hoots about what he has to say.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I agree with the idea in principle - the problem is it's probably unworkable in practice.

Our glorious leaders (sarc) would never allow the athletes representing their countries to have a political view or agenda, and any whisper of something happening would probably be clamped down on pretty hard.

Sad but true, our governments are more concerned about china's suddenly delicate sensibilities than the views of he people they purport to represent.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is a cheap shot, so hopefuwwy Dennis will not cwy if he weeds dis:

Boycot the olympics?

How about boycotting Dennis Miller?

OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

And the Tibetan Monks are certainly not laughing.... at Dennis Miller's comedy. OHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Maybe Dennis Miller should take example from those monks, and take a vow of silence! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I'm very tired, so ummm..... Dennis Miller is kind of lame. THERE! I just said it.

He could suggest the most beautiful concept in the world, yet his face would be forever stuck in that sarcastic expression, and I would probably just think he was comparing conspiracy theorists to cheese doodles or some other incoherent sarcastic comment, in which he uses about fifty different adjectives and adverbs per sarcastic phrase.... does he even say nouns? Or does he just talk sarcastically in adjective and adverbs?

Dennis Miller ripping post over........ now.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Excellent idea, FF. Miller is a genius. This is a good, non-violent way to show solidarity for the Tibetans. Much better, imo, than attacking the torch bearer.

Starred and flagged.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Excellent idea, FF. Miller is a genius.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by jsobecky] Genius my foot. my toes. my rump!
On a bad day with no oxygen to breathe, i am smarter than he is.

Here! Have some light!!

[edit on 17-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This guy did some serious research on Dennis Miller. He used to be a huge fan of Miller's until he did some serious investigating:

www.bartcop.com...

Anyone who supports Dennis "the hippie fascist" should do the same research. What you will find about Dennis Miller is seriously frightening.

No joke.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
Dennis Miller is kind of lame.

Sure. BUT .. he had an interesting thought. I thought it was pretty good.
It probably can't be done .. but who knows. Stranger things have happened.

It's non violent. It doesn't boycot the games so the athletes still get their day to play. It makes a statement.

I like it.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk3000
Anyone who supports Dennis " ...

Oh .. I'm not supporting Dennis Miller. I'm saying that he actually had a thought that was pretty good. I kinda like it. As was said earlier .. it probably can't done. But it is a good idea.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yeah but Dennis forgot the punchline!

Everybody already boycotts the olympics... without even trying. Badaboom!

Seriously, I think that's not a bad idea. I just like ripping on Dennis Miller. I don't honestly have any qualms about him, but I just think he's funny for the opposite reason he thinks he's funny.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by dk3000
Anyone who supports Dennis " ...

Oh .. I'm not supporting Dennis Miller. I'm saying that he actually had a thought that was pretty good. I kinda like it. As was said earlier .. it probably can't done. But it is a good idea.

I hear ya- so did Hillary Clinton- then she had another thought.......

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Man, what a depressing thread.
First, am I the only one curious if that poster from China is really from China? I wouldn't think a site like this would go over very big in China.
Oh, thats right, I am a dumbass that believes everything the media tells me. How is China's war going against.....against....who the hell are they fighting against again? Tibet? Really? What is the death toll today?
Where are the arm bands for Darfur? You hear some crap about Tibet in the news and you think it is the crisis de jour.

You don't boycott the Olympics because it is the only damn decent thing we can do as a world community.....oh thats right it is obsolete.

I really don't mind any of you spouting a bunch of dumb crap but if you want a better world or even want to pretend you give a sheit about a better world then at least understand it better.

Even if you believe that China is......now what exactly is our problem with China? They out produce us? They own our debt? They are too big?
How exactly does a Communist Country rise to such "threat"? Does capitalism sound familiar?

Guess who you guys sound like? Those pesky al queda folk that "hate us because of our freedom" (please don't tell me any single person here still buys that crap.) OH, there is a huge difference between most of us American's and Al Queda....we just bitch and moan about our ignorance and they go out and blow #e up with their ignorance.

Dennis Miller was once a brilliant voice of liberalism and then he one day sold his soul.....but he sucked on Monday Night Football ( I really wanted him to be good...but no argument, he sucked)
Now on Faux I can barely listen to his sychophantass.

China wants to be a partner in the world financialy and left alone socially
and keep their culture in tact. How many of you want the same thing for our Country. Who the hell are we anymore? How many of you are out for number one? Who isn't?

Back in 1985 I had a huge Soviet Union flag on one wall and a huge American flag on the other in my college dorm room....I was expressing my First Amendment right of free speech and I was saying, "I'm not buying into this propaganda cold war bull#e" How many of you today think our MSM is much better than Pravda? How about comparing at least Fox news to Pravda?

Embarrassing China is just an ignorant thing to do. Thank-God we aren't hosting the Olympics this summer....What color arm band would you like to see the rest of the world wearing protesting Iraq? Oh, sure we could find ways to respond....like we could change French fries into American fries...Oh...we already did that one.....well I'm sure Rush and Fox and whomever could come up with something for each Country that disrespected us like that.

Stop being hypocrits.

top topics

join