It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy snow breaking plows in Yellowstone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Heavy snow breaking plows in Yellowstone

www.jacksonholenews.com

Yellowstone officials say heavy snow has resulted in the breakdown of two bulldozers as road crews attempt to remove snow from park roads before they open for spring.

The park has since rented two machines in an attempt to clear roads from Mammoth to the West Entrance and south to Old Faithful by opening day May 2.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Is it just me or is there seriously something wrong with "Spring". I think we may of went from Winter back to Fall, that or Winter never ended.

Last night Here in Shreveport, LA we got FReeze Warnings on the news. Freeze warnings in Louisiana in the middle of April.

Right now the Current Temp here is 53 degrees. What the heck kind of spring is this? I think the cold air wiped out alot of the bugs that hatched a couple of weeks ago. What kind of affect is this going to have on other animals and even plants?

www.jacksonholenews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I don't think its ever been this cold in april/spring.

hmm i wonder.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

They're breaking down?!

This looks like a case for average joe America to go out and shovel snow!

Come on America, Put your backs into it!

p.s; In England, it snowed @ the start of this month, and there's apparently more on the way.

I'd wait until the end of the season before we start making rash judgements, though.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I thought there was global warming?

The weather seems as if it's going haywire, but this sure looks more like a local cooling than a global warming.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Well, I live close to Bogalusa and yes, we had frost, also. I spent all afternoon yesterday covering my garden which includes many, many rows of corn that is already almost a foot high.

I have lived all over the country, and this does not seem really that odd to me. Last year we had a cold snap where I am now in April also, that caused me to cover my garden.

I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and it was not uncommon to have freak snowstorms in April at times.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well I live in Florida and it is not normal for it to have been in the 30's last night. Looks like its going to be around 38 tonight again.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have seen cold snaps before but theyre usually isolated but this is crazy.

Look at weather.com's national temp map.

www.weather.com... st&presname=undefined

58 in southern California on the border
62 in Miami
38 in Seattle
40 in northern Maine

Its nationwide.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The record low here on the south Georgia coast was 40F 1954. If the weather prediction is right we will break that record tonight with a low of 39F. The record high was 90F in 2006.

I'm hoping for no frost as my garden is planted and growing well.

I consider myself fortunate as I'm not shoveling snow. My best to you that are on the business end of a snow shovel.

I predict a hot summer and lots of wind for my area. Already making my evacuation plans in case of a hurricane. It's good to have a plan amid chaos.

Happy summer to you all.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Gentlemen, i believe i have found the culprit.

Okay, that was a vain attempt at humour.

On a serious point, what do you think are the chances that this cold snap will have a knock on effect on Agriculture?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It does seem like it's a country wide cold snap. I find it interesting that it is warmer in South Dakota than it is in Louisiana, though.

Ah well, looks like I might be covering my garden up again tonight, just to be on the safe side!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This isn't altogether unexpected.
One of the reasons global warming is often referred to as a climate shift is because while the average temperature may rise worldwide, individual regions will experience weather that normally wouldn't occur there. That includes strangely cold temperatures as well.

I don't know if this one incident is a direct result of the climate shift, or whether this one might just be a freak incident to itself. But you will see allot more incidents like this in the future.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

So where is Batman?

The affect on Agriculture is my biggest worry. Its bad enough that the bees are dying, flowers don't smell anymore, and fuel costs are driving up food prices.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Well, despite my name (Robin) i'm afraid I haven't been in touch with batman for quite some time now.

I think he joined that Justice League bs, and now he's 'too important' for Climate change.

So, if this is as serious as people are speculating, what do you think will happen first as a direct result; Environmental Terrorism, or Food Riots?

P.S: Where are the AutoBots when you need them?

Optimus would get this sorted faster than you could say "Gather the Energon Cubes!"

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Tell Batman I'm selling his local Batsignal for Food Supplies.

If things get really bad, it will be food riots. This has already been shown to be the case in numerous countries around the world. Low income or No Income people will be the most likley to take to the streets. When welfare, foodstamps, and minimum wage no longer cover enough food for families things will turn quite bad, real quick.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I don't think it will get that to that point just because of this.

However, i think that the riots will probably happen faster than you think, provided the Establishment doesn't lie to us about the food stocks...

p.s; i would, but he doesn't use an answering machine anymore - he's got one of those new Justice League Communication Relays and those are only available for justice league members.

Pfft, Elitism, i swear.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

The weather seems as if it's going haywire, but this sure looks more like a local cooling than a global warming.

A slightly warmer globe is able to create more severe storms because of the excess energy held in need of dissapation. More severe storms means higher high pressure systems and lower low pressure systems. The resultant winds between tight pressure gradients create deviant localized weather. So though the surface as a whole is slightly warmer; the mesoclimate is more extreme in all directions. Desertification further worsens the problem as trees once acted as a recoil buffer to slow storms.

plant a tree, walk,

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

You guys are sooo reliable with this "joke" that it is finally funny to me. When one looks into the "Global Warming" issue, one finds that the term global warming does not accurately describe the situation. Climate change is a much better descriptor of the events forcast to unfold. Our military takes climate change very seriously, and they are interested in protecting the United States. The US military has different motives than corporations.

Still need more evidence? Stay alive and you will see it if you have eyes to see.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
There's actually quite an interesting little passage i have in a book on double-speak on this, i'll see if i can find it.

*post reserved for 5 minutes while i hunt down the book in my 'library'*

K- got it;

[From Unspeak - Words are weapons by Steven Poole]

Climate Change

Sometimes there are smoking guns. In the arena of science, there is plain evidence of political groups and corporate interests mulling over the right 'unspeak'* strategies. US pollster Frank Luntz, for example has produced a wide range of documents advising Republicans on the kind of persuasive political language they should use. One such memo, leaked in 2003, treats the language of environmental Policy. A section headed WINNING THE GLOBAL WARMING DEBATE reads in part:

The terminology in the upcoming environmental debate needs refinement [. . .] it's time for us to start talking about 'climate change' instead of global warming [. . .]

1.'Climate Change' is less frightening than 'Global Warming'
As one focus group participant noted, climate change 'sounds like you're going from pittsburgh to Fort lauderdale.' while global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge.

This is what Luntz , elsewhere in the document, called the strategy of 'redefining labels'. according to this view, 'global warming' sounds sinister and menacing: it may conjure a picture of a red-hot Earth, swathed in hellfire. 'Climate change', by contrast, is what happens when you go on holiday, or switch on the air-conditioning at home, or the 'climate control' in your sports utility vehicle.

Mods, my apologies for the extensive quoting.

Apologies also if a member of ATS is the author of this book, it does seem like the kind of thing that would come up on these forums.

My point is that the political language has changed - remember how people always go on about how the political establishment has changed with the times in order to challenge the new breed of internet activism?

This is it.

For the people advocating 'climate change' over Global warming - sure, if you want to be technical about it.

Just so long as your aware that there are people who are two steps ahead of you, utilising your technicalities to be a weapon in their fight to stay in power.

*The Book does infact make comments on newspeak, which appeared in 1984, and apparently there are numerous homages to George Orwell's masterpiece. but n/m that.

Double-speak, Newspeak, Unspeak, it all means the same thing.

right?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Pfft, would've found it faster if it wasn't for aristotle's philosophy of politics and a book on religious experiences catching my eye.

edit; anywho, it's a really good book, and i'd advise ALL OF YOU TO HUNT IT DOWN AND BUY IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN BECAUSE IT HIGHLIGHTS THE PRIMARY WEAPON OF THIS POLITICAL ESTABLISHMENT.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join