It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Healthcare Programs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well....so much for socialized medicine - looks like its going to take Canada's budget down the drain.

TORONTO STAR
Feb. 25, 2004. 01:00 AM
Premiers fear collapse of health-care system

CAROLINE MALLAN AND DANIEL GIRARD
STAFF REPORTERS

VANCOUVER�Canada's premiers say the health-care system will begin to self-destruct by the end of the decade without both an overhaul and a cash influx from the federal Liberals.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said in an interview that he worries that other initiatives, such as a literacy program, an agreement to break down inter-provincial barriers and plans to work together on emergency preparedness will go unnoticed in the seemingly never-ending health-care fray.

This is NOT what needs to happen here in the U.S., This news bolsters my case that socialized government health care provides the minimum service for the maximum cost.

Premiers fear collapse of healthcare system

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Socialized Medicine unaffordable? You're kidding me all to hell!

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Socialized Medicine unaffordable? You're kidding me all to hell!

Its our brothers in Canada that said it!
I said this though "government health care provides the minimum service for the maximum cost".

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I said this though "government health care provides the minimum service for the maximum cost"

This is the ONLY problem I have with it.

Anyone knows that if the government gets involved in something it will cost 10X as much and take 10X as long.

Can ANYONE name me ONE program that the government runs that is not a total F-up?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I can't.

Government insurance is a huge mistake. Unfortunatly in this country you (allegedly) have to work for what you get.

Keep it that way.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Truly, gotta be on the conservatives team on this national health care--speaking as a person who's at the doctor at least five times a month...got em on my speed dial...i don't want to loose my benefits to some government run bureaucracy.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
is not recognizing that over 44million people are without insurance in this country and what a financial strain that it now puts on EVERYONE in some shape form or fashion.

What do we do about it?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What do we do about it? hmmm.

Nothing. I can not force someone to get a job, nor can I make them provide for their kids.

I can not make them get health insurance. I'm one without health insurance, and I sure do not want it given to me.

I'll work for mine thanks.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
KJ's right. It's a cold harsh world...of course there should be more access to free clinics and the like but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because some can't afford excellent healthcare. I listened to Dennis Kucinich and it kinda pissed me off when he said "medically necessary". I have asthma and I don't wanna have to wait for some government official to tell me a trip to the emergency room is "medically necessary"--that's why I don't deal with HMO's.

Poor folk should have access to doctors and hospitals but everyone shouldn't be required to live like a poor person if they are capable of affording better healthcare and the best medicine. I would love to see some price controls on the cost of medicine and treatment to level the playing field but I don't support a full blown national healthcare system.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
is not recognizing that over 44million people are without insurance in this country and what a financial strain that it now puts on EVERYONE in some shape form or fashion.

What do we do about it?

Although I do agree there are people that fall through the cracks in the system, I strongly disagree with the statistic of 44 million.

Medicade and Medicare is available as well as free treatment mandated by law at each community hospital that all taxpayers currently support, I believe many of the so called "44 million" utilize these services.

The real problem as I see it is currently employed either with no insurance or underinsured, This has an easy cure that no one seems to talk about, the current law will
not allow private individuals to band together to form groups with buying power - if people were allowed to do this many more would be able to afford coverage either as individuals joining a larger group or as members in small companies that band together and do the same.

This would save small business owners as well as individual employees a substantial amount of money spent on insurance, letting many more participate.

new topics

top topics

join