It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A backbench coup against Gordon Brown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

However, in the corners of the hotel bar, which usually sees more footballers and their wives than Labour politicians, plotting was afoot. “The talk was all about how long Gordon can go on,” said one who was present. “It had been another torrid week and the question being asked in private was: will he survive until the election?”

One former minister put forward an argument that would have been unthinkable 12 months ago. “It is valid to ask whether we are at the situation the Tories were in the autumn of 1990, when they pondered the coup d’état against Margaret Thatcher,” he said.

The Times online

Now this is interesting. Given Labour's poor poll ratings and jittery back bench MPs, it seems a discussion has begun to emerge which seriously questions Brown's position both as party leader and Prime Minister.

It's virtually certain that nothing will happen now - for the moment it might just be disgruntled Blairites and others causing a fuss. But if the local elections in England and Wales go badly for Labour, and if Ken Livingstone loses the London Mayoral election, a serious challenge to Gordon Brown might be posed before the next general election, similar to the events in 1990 leading to Margaret Thatcher's downfall.

At the moment it appears to be just speculation and gossip, but given the surprising events of the last twelve months I wouldn't be surprised to find we had Jack Straw or David Milliband as Prime Minister in a year or two.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have always had the sneaking suspicion that Brown is really a communist at heart and would prefer totalitarian rule. He seems to be putting forward policy that came straight out of the communist manifesto. I know he is part of the globalization is the saviour of the world crap. And blows on about terrorist,s like Hitler did in the 30,s about communists and we all know what happened then. So it seems same thing again different year different generation slightly different lies same song sheet though

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Considering that when Tony Blair left (with a few weeks notice, no less) there was quite a large voice on the fact that Gordon Brown should hold a leadership election among the labour members of parliment, i wouldn't be surprised if there was some mutterings in the shadows about how the man has out-stayed his welcome.

It would be different if there was no reason for it, but to me a backbench rebellion seems like an entirely proper thing to happen at this point in time.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

join