It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China seeks apology for 'goons' comment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Oh*SNIP*
He was calling the entire chinese race 'goons'.

Okay, i take back everything i said* - i thought CNN was going after the olympic torch security, this is a clear sign of prejudice, which infringes on free-speech.

Remember guys - Prejudice means that you don't let the other guy talk.

*kills self with a bit of string*

Mod Edit: No profanity please

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

[edit on 4/15/08 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

ER China is a COUNTRY... not a RACE.....

In fact, China is made up of hundreds if not thousands of various ethnicities...

And a Goon is a thug, or criminal .. The Chinese are Goons.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

"CHINA has demanded US television news channel CNN apologise after one of its commentators said the Chinese were "goons" and that their products were "junk". "

I made the mistake of not reading this very explicit bit of information, instead i jumped ahead.

To those members who i spurned so readily, i apologise.

It would seem that my paranoia is getting the better of me lately.

p.s; Rockpuck, are you alleging that somewhere in China, there is a small infant going about in a polyester suit smoking a cigar, calling people his 'hoes' and 'smacking his b#####s' up?

edit; apologies to criminals, for the criminal steretyping.

But i'm sure you don't really care.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I can foresee many news media continue to show this statement whether people believe it or not, but, really just because China is drawing so much attention to it. Would they then expect everyone to apologize for their outrageous behavior also? If I were that CNN news guy, I wouldn't be dinning in any Chinese restaurants. Do you think they deliver? Maybe anyone with that same name should think twice also?

Maybe CNN should now take an opinion poll on whether they should apologize and make him eat crow with too much MSG?

[edit on 15-4-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

China

and

moral high ground

Don't really belong in the same sentence

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
As much as I despise the twisted media, they WERE goons.

Pushing and shoving and barking orders all over the world.

Goons.

CNN are spin doctors and FOX is populated by twisted freaks.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexi Humi
I think it ironic that such a statement was made by someone that makes a living broadcasting through millions of made in China televisions and radios.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If Americans are so concerned over slave labor, why do they keep shopping at Wall Mart..?? Does it make people feel less guilty about buying the lowest cost goods even though they know it is manufactured with Honduran children... "I protest the actions i take, but i must shop at wallmart"...its laughable.
American manufacturing did not decline because of Superior Asian marketing strategy, it declined because Americans stopped buying them. Get a grip on reality already. America is chasing the bottom line until it becomes a noose around its neck. See the world as it is.

CNN has not run newsworthy stories in years..they may as well run animal planet reruns. This is indicative of the network as a whole, cannot place a quality product on the table so begin to attack the subject of the story. If CNN had any B*lls as they did when Ted Turner ran it they would be running real news, not the trash they show nightly.

if Chinese are goons because they shoved people around in front of a torch, what does that make the people that bombed wide swaths of the Middle east? Cannot have it both ways. America has destablized entire regions of the globe, but the torch...whoa, dont shove the people trying to put it out, that is over the top.

Damn straight CNN needs to apologize, not just to the chinese but to anyone that has tuned into their broadcast the last 10 years

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
Watching the ChiCom goons running with the Olympic Torch bearers only underlines the totalitarian connexion with the Torch since it is a ceremonial ritual invented by the Nazis for Hitler's Berlin Olympic Games.

Exactly, Chinese paramiltary forces basically are going after people on the torch route in other countries.

If they do this in other countries, can you imagine what they are like at home?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
In fact, China is made up of hundreds if not thousands of various ethnicities...
And a Goon is a thug, or criminal .. The Chinese are Goons.

Exactly, one only has to look to how the ChiCom goons handled Tienneman
Look to Tibet
Look to the constant threats towards Taiwan\
look to the thousands displaced to make Olympic venues
look to the SARS coverup
Look to the Bird Flu coverup.

The IOC is basicaly a prostitute that can be had to the highest bidder and the Communists goons won the bid.

[edit on 4/15/08 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
if there were not a reporter raised the relevant question, i dont think Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman would have the mood to respond to such remarks. since the mischief-maker journal raised the quesion, such response is a must one.

i dont think chinese goverment will take such evil comments too seriously just like i will not respond to specific ATSer vilifying chinese.

free speech never means free obloquy.
keeping your civility will make you more like a human being.

goons? LOL.............,

[edit on 16-4-2008 by wwssii]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread349111/pg1#pid4235229]

Don't really belong in the same sentence

Surely you realise by now that the Chinese echelons of power are using the olympics as a method of addressing that particular belief you have there.

Think about it like this; EVERY INTERNATIONAL EVENT OR CRISIS IS WORKING IN THEIR FAVOUR.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Surely you realise by now that the Chinese echelons of power are using the olympics as a method of addressing that particular belief you have there.

Think about it like this; EVERY INTERNATIONAL EVENT OR CRISIS IS WORKING IN THEIR FAVOUR.

Seems there is someone starting to get it.

The bias Western MSM reporting without any ethics of real journalism have not only increased the Anti-China sentiments, but it has backfired majorly and fueling anti-West sentiments among the ordinary people in China who sees the Western MSM reporting.

Ok, for one split second stop with the fingerpointing that the Chinese people are being brainwashed or enslaved and the like. Because reality is that the ordinary Chinese people are bright enough to distinguish what is censorships and propaganda, especially the Overseas Chinese communities. We just care less about certain so-called human rights values of the West.

If you for example bring up a case that if a convicted murderer of a 10 year old girl should get the Death Penalty or not and his organs used in the hospital to save several patients. Then be quaranteed that most of the Chinese people will say, yeah go ahead, while in the West it will looked upon as the devil has risen from hell and call it human rights violations. People all over the world should understand that there is a fundamental difference between the norms and values of different cultures.

So in the case that Chinese people can distinguish propaganda from objective journalism at home and in the World, and even actually have access to the world's mainly Western MSM. Then these Western MSM is only giving ammunition to the Chinese media. The Chinese media only needed to report the truth to those without English literacy, and the English-speaking Chinese in mainland China or Overseas can recognize what is bias and plainout personal insults. Then of course the Chinese population will be so upset and see it as yet another confirmation that the Western MSM is prejudiced, biased and spreading propaganda, even by referring to low-level name-callings.

This CNN anchor man has crossed the line of unbiassed journalism, and actually personally attacking all the Chinese people all over the world by calling Chinese people being goons and thugs. Whatever and however you want to twist the context and facts, this is what is said and nothing else.

And by reading this thread, I see that even more ATS members are prejudiced and biased against China than I had thought, very disappointed. Glad to see at least one person cooling down and admitting he made a mistake. My respects to you, it takes a lot to apologize. Which I see that CNN has failed to do that in a respectful way and probably does not know what apologizing means. I feel pity for the Western world who has a broadcasting channel like CNN representing your world. After all people see CNN equivalent to hearing the American voice, either you like it or not.

[edit on 16/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
The bias Western MSM reporting without any ethics of real journalism have not only increased the Anti-China sentiments...

I cannot say that I have witnessed any bias from the Western MSM towards China because I pay the MSM little mind. There are some events or reports that find their way to ATS that I find unavoidable, for example, toys colored with paint tainted with lead. But even then, there is usually more to the story than is first revealed, as [color=7e74ff]this thread by DontTreadOnMe suggests. Another report that I have found during my time on ATS is the "Undercover in Tibet" series found in Phil J. Fry's [color=7e74ff]thread which I cannot help but to think the Chinese goverment, its soldiers and police officers, to be thugs. I mention the video series because the reaction to it was as if it was anti-Chinese in nature. There seems to be no room for criticism as far as China is concerned.

but it has backfired majorly and fueling anti-West sentiments among the ordinary people in China who sees the Western MSM reporting.

I have actually seen a lot of activity by people whom I believe to be Chinese on websites like YouTube: their comments usually give them away, as much as anger gives an indignant man away. How much better is it to meet anti-East sentiments with anti-west sentiments? They are both of acrimonious quality and not one serves better than the other.

We just care less about certain so-called human rights values of the West.

Unfortunately, you are not alone. In a world of over 6 billion, it is quite easy to take life for granted. For every one man that is killed there are one-hundred or one-thousand more to beat. I consider those with such a dim view of humanity to be "goons." People may value human rights less in China, that is, until they themselves are at risk of losing their right to live, then watch the value of human-rights to them increase more than the value gold and grain itself.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
lets see china wheat gluten for animal food was found to be contaminated
i lost to dogs i had for years because of it. chinese made toothpaste was found to have antifreeze in it. most of there electronics barely last 6 months to a year. last year 11 babies died in china because babyformula company wasmaking baby formula that was heh heh just white powder.

so no i don't see how anybody could say they are exporting junk.
lets go to goon statement.
well i beleive they beat up or killed a bunch of tibetan protesters. they threaten anybody who sides with taiwan. they threaten usa with dumping the dollar and the equivelent to anuclear econmic war about once a week.
so no i can't see how somebody on an american commentary show could say any of these charges.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexi Humi

Unfortunately despite how little trust and confidence the Western people (especially those in ATS) have in the Western MSM, the reality is still the world (non-Western) see these media channels representing the West and after all it is still viewed by the mass in the West. Here is only one simple example and overview of the most recent bias reporting www.youtube.com...://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQnK5FcKas

On the surface it seems like these Western MSM is driven by sensation and greed more than ethical journalism. I believe there is more behind it with certain geopolitical powers' interests in making his population believe that China is the next enemy, this is the age-old Cold war syndrome of many policymakers. "China and America: The Tibet Human Rights PsyOp" www.globalresearch.ca... and "Risky Geopolitical Game: Washington Plays ‘Tibet Roulette’ with China" www.globalresearch.ca...

The Mattel, toys cases, is simply one of the many negative Chinese media reporting by the Western MSM in the recent past. Which is increasing and eventually people recognize the systematic behind it. Toys and other products' quality issues are never limited to a specific source. Any imported or homeland manufactured products will face a quality assurance dilemma. In the case of Chinese products, I would advise to spend a bit more time in researching the issue. To give a quick overview.

The Chinese manufacturers are mostly private OEM/ODM manufacturers, which means producing products for customers, who are the brands, the distributors and the importers. These manufacturers can make ANYTHING, from low-end low quality cheap products to very high-end high quality expensive products. The customers buys what they want and pay for their requirements. This means if an importer wants to have an extremely cheap product, they also get low quality. A factory simply deliver what is ordered, if the factory is delivering something different than the agreed specifications, then you can be guaranteed the factory will get a business penalty, either it be rejection at Quality Control or much lower trust reputation, which eventually means the factory will not last long. or other monetary or business penalties. Whatever the case it is eventually the responsibility of the customer how the quality assurance is conducted on the products, during conceptual design, sampling, mass production, shipping, incoming, distribution and selling on the retail shelves. While the factory should guarantee his own quality, it is still up to the customer to send his own (or 3rd party) Quality inspection team to control each layer of the supply chain. If eventually dangerous toys are being consumed by the end-user and returned, it means the Quality assurance during the whole supply simply failed. There could be foul-play at the factory with trying to cut corners on the agreed specifications, but these are normally not long-lasting ones. Or the customer simply failed to take care of his own product. Or sometimes it is the customer who make the call to pay cheap and get crap in the market to make a quick buck.

Not many Toy manufacturers dare to supply Mattel now anymore, the reason is that they have breached the very basic ethics of doing business. That is by blaming everything on the manufacturer side for all the quality issues, while small partly true but the most were Mattel's own problem. For a private factory it is becoming too riskful dealing with a powerful giant who apprently does not care about his suppliers and will make them as their scapegoat.

As for the documentary you are referring to. I presume you have watched the videos and read that thread. I believe I already paid enough attention to how skewed the world is right now. On one hand people is embracing any Tibetan "documentaries" as the ultimate truth, and on the other hand discarding any "Chinese evidence" as propaganda material. Vice versa. Let's try to deny ignorance for once everyone and get our minds clearer.

I have actually seen a lot of activity by people whom I believe to be Chinese on websites like YouTube: their comments usually give them away, as much as anger gives an indignant man away. How much better is it to meet anti-East sentiments with anti-west sentiments? They are both of acrimonious quality and not one serves better than the other.

Not much better, and that is what I have said, because of the distorted media reporting you see these two anti-camps increasing by the day.

Unfortunately, you are not alone. In a world of over 6 billion, it is quite easy to take life for granted. For every one man that is killed there are one-hundred or one-thousand more to beat. I consider those with such a dim view of humanity to be "goons." People may value human rights less in China, that is, until they themselves are at risk of losing their right to live, then watch the value of human-rights to them increase more than the value gold and grain itself.

No, you have missed the point. Chinese people does not value human rights less, the point is that there is a fundamental different between norms and values between the Chinese culture and the Western culture. I was born and raised in the Western world, understand why you will feel like people who value a life of a criminal different than yours are "goons". And why you would call a whole population "goons" while coming close to being a racists in the opinion of many. However, this is why I do believe too many people are narrow and closed minded and not willing or trying to dig into somebody's else cultural norms and values before judging a whole culture a whole population. Even though you know there are over 6 billion human beings on Earth, but it seems like you don't know that most of these 6 billion have a totally different world view, different culture, different norms and values. At least 1/5 of it are just the ones you just called "goons", effectively insulting 1/5 of the world population and creating more hatred in the world.

[edit on 16/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
lets see china wheat gluten for animal food was found to be contaminated
i lost to dogs i had for years because of it. chinese made toothpaste was found to have antifreeze in it. most of there electronics barely last 6 months to a year. last year 11 babies died in china because babyformula company wasmaking baby formula that was heh heh just white powder.

so no i don't see how anybody could say they are exporting junk.
lets go to goon statement.
well i beleive they beat up or killed a bunch of tibetan protesters. they threaten anybody who sides with taiwan. they threaten usa with dumping the dollar and the equivelent to anuclear econmic war about once a week.
so no i can't see how somebody on an american commentary show could say any of these charges.

My condolences to your pets. But try to get the fact straight.

Pet food is imported into USA under supervision of the FDA. It is your importer who failed to do his part of the work and a Private factory (maybe owned by a Chinese) in China who together should take responsibilities. Wth the emphasis on Private.

For the rest of so-called low quality issues, I refer to my post above.

As for the Tibet issue, well, try to think clear and look at both sides of the stories before making such an emotional prejudiced judgement.

As for the Taiwan issue, well, did your Western MSM reported to you that Hu Jintao and the coming Vice President had for the first time met, making it the highest level meeting between PRC and TW? Guess what, Mr. Ma will be inaugurated next month, and you will see that PRC & TW will get very close to each other

As for the USA, well, if you try to create chaos and support the enemies of your biggest banker? Don't expect that your banker will continue subsidizing your war-machines and structural wrong credit-driven economy.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

I might not be qualified enough to judge china’s human right status, although I do think there are many serious human right issues in China in terms of Western standard. However, as a profession specialized in manufacturing and has close links with Chinese products, I think I might be qualified to make some comments on the manufacturing issues.

1. the wheat glutin additive in pet food.

A year ago (March 2007) it became a hot/panic subject. The wheat glutin from one Chinese manufacturer was found to contain melamine. Many linked this to the death of some pets. However, the problem has been that the effects of melamine were unclear yet. No reports have been issued with evidence that melamine was causing the death. In July 2007 (as I remember), an EPA official (a lady, I could not remember her name) commented that no negative effects had been found with the level of contaminants in pet food.

2. Antifreeze coolant in toothpaste.

Glycol was an acceptable additive in toothpastes in China as a moisturizer. When Colgate-brand tooth pastes with glycol added were manufactured in China, it was known and understood by Colgate-Palmolive and the ingredient was clearly labeled. So, this was just a problem of different standard. If any problem, it is Colgate’s.

3. Most Chinese electronics last only 6 month or a year.

Different people might have different opinion or experiences. However, China is one of the world biggest electronics manufacturers. Any products exported must first pass a quality standard. The importer (say, Walmart) is responsible for the quality control. If they accept it, they admit that the quality meets their spec.

I use many, many Chinese electronics. To me, the quality is generally satisfactory. I never had an item lasting only 6 month or 1 year. However, I understand that others might have different experiences.

4. Lead-containing paint toys.

Yes. This was an issue. The manufacturer bought a batch of wrong paints and used it. Later it was found the paints contained lead. There was no evidence that the manufacturer knowingly used lead-containing paints for toys. After the recall actions, the manufacturer suffered bankruptcy and committed suicide. Before and after those few batches, the toys were/are not made from lead-containing paints. Today, most toys sold in USA are still imported from China.

This is an individual quality disaster. It was a mistake made in China and passed undetected by quality personnel in USA in time. If we discuss those issues in terms of professional points, the results are much simple. Those items 1 through 4 are really not related to "human right".

5. 11 babies died in china because babyformula company wasmaking baby formula that was heh heh just white powder.

This is a crime. In any country this is a simply a crime. Even in China this was not an honor. This was/is not accepted by Chinese people or the Chinese government, either. And I bet that those who committed this had been prosecuted.

There were also some other manufacturing issues revealed at the same period during that time, which is the combined consequence of both insufficient quality control of the importers (pet food) and not understanding the requirements of the products in USA (insufficient communication, as in the tooth paste and also pet food), or a mistake by one of many manufacturers (lead paint).

However, my opinion is that none of the above could be an excuse that Chinese people as a whole deserve being called “thugs and goons” in CNN broadcast, or in any where. To me, this is purely racism. It is discrimination. If you call the Chinese guys who killed the 11 babies “thugs and goons”, I fully agree.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by fuelcell]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Wow, you guys are efficient I must say. Addressing EVERY tiny criticism of China, with long winded paragraphs on EVERY thread about China. If China's in the name, you guys are there within 2 pages. Wow, just....wow. Where do you find the time? Seriously. I know we've been over it a about a hundred times Ichi, but if the PRC isn't paying you, they ought to be.

And yes, we KNOW you think western MSM is biased, you've ALL made that VERY clear to us, lol.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by 27jd]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join