It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China seeks apology for 'goons' comment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

China seeks apology for 'goons' comment

www.news.com.au

CHINA has demanded US television news channel CNN apologise after one of its commentators said the Chinese were "goons" and that their products were "junk".
Jack Cafferty made the comments earlier this month on CNN's political program The Situation Room.

"We are shocked at and strongly condemn the evil attack by the CNN anchor on the Chinese people,'' Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.people.com.cn

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I must admit that I do not normally watch FOX, CNN or MSNBC for current events but mainly rely on ATSNN so I would neither have seen Jack Cafferty nor his show when he made the comments that China declared offensive.

Demand is a powerful word that seems to imply a consequence if an apology remains absent. Although, that is just my interpretation. It will be interesting to see if CNN apologizes for the comments made by Jack Cafferty, because it will leave me to wonder what other demands of apology invoked by criticism of the Chinese may arise. I have to say that the comments are a bit harsh, but are they wrong?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Huh?

They're asking for an apology over something that is technically our right to say as part of free-speech?

*cough* Authoritarianism *cough*

edit: That they would pick on CNN seems almost prejudice against americans too, after all we brits were criticising them too.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Here is a youtube video, unfortunately, of poor quality of the comments. In the beginning, I had thought that Jack Cafferty hosted The Situation Room, but it is a show hosted by Wolf Blitzer. Can you tell that I do not watch television?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'm surprised that China has taken exception to such a childish remark/Insult.
I would have thought that the Chinese were thick skinned and had better things to do than watch CNN.

Then again I'm surprised that this broadcaster made such remarks about China. Isn't a new broadcaster supposed to be unbiased? It's very alarming when reporters start spouting their own individual opinions live on a major broadcaster.

Surely It's their jobs to report on the story at hand and leave the public to draw their own conclusions.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
They're asking for an apology over something that is technically our right to say as part of free-speech?

What he said is absolute slander. You might get "free" speech in principle but you dont get entirely free speech. If he said that about black Americans then he can say goodbye to his job

That they would pick on CNN seems almost prejudice against americans

Poor CNN. Do you think they really need out sympathy?, they have thick enough skin. Maybe if they are offended they can then start attempting actual journalism

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The most outrageous thing he did was slander China's export industry. The products that China create are not junk. We actually take China and the Chinese working population for granted every single day of our lives. Anyone who has watched those Wall-mart documentaries understand what I mean. 80% or more of the things we use and pozest day to day, the things which place us in the "developed" world are all a product of slave labour.

I'm saying is that all China has to do is click its fingers and the whole world will come crumbling down.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'm sorry, do you want to go into the technicalities, or are you just going to selectively ignore what i say all day long?

p.s; last i saw, Black Americans were not being denied access to their so-called 'duty' of protecting the torch in Australia and Japan.

You're twisting the facts, and i'm starting to wonder why.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Furthermore, the fact that your account seems pointed towards promoting China and everything that China stands for (Uhm... what does China stand for?*) seems almost nationalist to the point of Imperialism.

Which is something that apparently we have quite a big problem with in the western hemisphere of the world.

*China's Values, if you fail to understand what i'm getting at.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I think CNN should apologize.

They have no right to say such things. For all we know its a sabotage perpetrated by the non-
Chinese...

In any case, how many insults are you supposed to take from the US?

Hasnt this president himself already insulted the world? I suggest that reporters get a grip and become professionals, that they should be.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Well that's the thing though, if CNN apologise, that'll leave pretty much everyone who shared their opinion on China's choice to police the Olympic torch themselves instead of relying on individual nations to do the job in a position where they are forced to apologise too.

Then we have all the media of the world being apologetic (paying lip service) to the Chinese establishment.

If anything, China* should apologise for showing a lack of faith in our respective nation's security capabilities.

If they do, then i see no reason why CNN should not apologise.

*Or the Chinese security forces, if you want to get technical.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Is China seeking the Moral High Ground?

My spidey sense is tingling.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Am I the only one alive that believes that the U.S. is TRYING to pick a fight with China?

How many broadcasts were there last year about the harmfull effects of chinese toys for western kids?

I know Canada invited the Dali Lama here to shake our prime ministers hand, against the demands of the Chinese government, and im sure the U.S. and bush did the same.

Camera crews watched and cheered on as protesters illegally climed the golden gate bridge to place "free Tibet" signs high up on the cables. The reporter excused the illegal actions by saying "they ARE wearing helmets"

Aside from accepting chinese investments in the western world, we have not done alot to promote the chinese agenda, rather the opposite.

I know there are not a lot of Americans that would think it a good idea to place china on the list of terrorist nations, so i guess they are going to have to go about it with a little more diplomacy.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by tom goose]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

We are instigating, probing,poking, flipping the whole world-the government is.

My point is that there are no dignified news REPORTERS anymore. They are all free to comment and say whatever the heck they want to anyone in the world, when that is clearly NOT THEIR JOB.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

Am i the only one who thinks there are members of ATS purposefully trying everything they can to stop people from thinking that China is out to establish itself as a dominant superpower of the world?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
You might ask whether or not that would be a bad thing, but i'll make one thing clear about the U.S - and i'm English ffs.

There is a line, and if china would seek to cross that line (unknowingly or knowingly), then it must acknowledge that Ordinary People like You And Me will suffer because of it.

America likes it's position as top dog, if you hadn't noticed.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
What he said is absolute slander. You might get "free" speech in principle but you dont get entirely free speech. If he said that about black Americans then he can say goodbye to his job

I must admit that while I considered the comments inappropriate, I considered the request for an apology equally undue. If to anyone an apology should be directed, it should be Jack Cafferty directing an apology to himself for making himself look unprofessional to the world. If the audience to whom his comments were directed are offended, maybe it is time for self-reflection instead of self-defense.

Originally posted by xion329alpha
The products that China create are not junk.

Most products I will agree with you that they are not "junk." Most products produced in China I find to be quite reliable. Especially the bag of sand I just bought. (joking)

Originally posted by xion329alpha
80% or more of the things we use and pozest day to day, the things which place us in the "developed" world are all a product of slave labour.

I cannot say that I have come across any Walmart documentaries, although, I will check on Google to see what I find.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexi Humi

Most products I will agree with you that they are not "junk." Most products produced in China I find to be quite reliable. Especially the bag of sand I just bought. (joking)

Indeed, i am currently wearing a pair of jeans made in *checks label* Hong Kong, and i brought them years ago.

You gotta hand it to those labourers - they know how to make a pair of jeans.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Jack Cafferty was absolutely correct.

The ChiComs are thin-skinned totalitarian monsters who not only demand the allegiance of their own enslaved people but they want to demand the worship of the rest of the world.

All they deserve as a government or governmental system of control is to be destroyed by stealth, but nonetheless competely destroyed.

Watching the ChiCom goons running with the Olympic Torch bearers only underlines the totalitarian connexion with the Torch since it is a ceremonial ritual invented by the Nazis for Hitler's Berlin Olympic Games.

Shall I tell you what I really think?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I watch news religously, why I have no idea. Cafferty is not so much a reporter as a commentator.

I never go into Wal-Mart to shop. I hate the noise, the mess, and the fact that they do not respect the American worker that made them what they are.

I do not know if the Chinese people are goons, the Chinese people I have met seemed rather nice. We do need to face facts though; their products are crap and they get away with it only because our government sold us all out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join