It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride prescription....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Just today, my little one turned 6 months, and went in for her regular shots. She didn't much like them.

But anyway, he doctor noticed her teeth coming in, and immediately wrote out a prescription of Fluoride. This is the first I have ever seen or heard of any such thing. It's a liquid, easy for her to swallow. Has this always been prescribed to babies to help their teeth come in stronger?

Or is this something new we should worry about? What does anyone think about this?

Thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. I very much respect her doctor, and I wouldn't go against what her doctor wants, but this is new to me, and I can't help but be a little concerned...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I wouldn't do it. Since when does ingested fluoride help the teeth? The idea behind fluoride in the water is that it runs over the teeth. It is a flimsy arguement at best. So, I just fail to see how giving your child a neurotoxin that won't even touch her teeth will help them come in strong.

I would politely tell your doctor where he can put that prescription.

FYI- I have a 2 year old and our doctor never pushed it on us. Just get a finger tooth brush pad and brush her teeth. When her teeth come in more, use some training toothpaste.

I am not a Dr so I could just be a nut case on the internet, but you should get another opinion. Get one from a reliable source that isn't getting kickbacks from pharmacutical companies.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you very much for the reply. I will try asking around. Would it be a good idea to maybe try asking another children's doctor about the whole thing?? I agree, about giving the little one a toxin, and what it might do on such a young body... I just don't know.
Her doctor sounds absolutely positive that it will give her a headstart to strong and healthy teeth for life.

The whole thought is just scary to me. She is so young, and with Autism, and other crap kids these days have to worry about, it is just adding to my worries for her. I definitely don't like how the future for her is looking.

Any opinions right now are appreciated. Where would be a good place to find information about this subject? I have done a search of ATS, and came up with a whole bunch of threads talking about how Fluoride is potentially harmful. Nothing about babies getting high doses of it intentionally.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Our pediatrician gave my (ex)wife a fluoride prescription for our son. I wouldn't let her fill it and I dang sure never gave that crap to him. It literally makes no sense to do such a thing. I'm stunned that doctors would prescribe something like that.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Well, find out if the water in your area has fluoride in it already. If it does, then I really wouldn't want to give her any extra on top of it. Other doctors could be helpful, but then again it all depends on the doctor. Some genuinely care about the kids, some just like to write prescriptions.

I understand your concerns. Everytime I take my daughter to the Dr's office, I worry about the vaccines.

Remember, there is no law forcing you to make her take additional fluoride. It is up to you. I look at it this way, we don't give our daughter hardly any candy, she doesn't really like juice and she gets a decent diet. I feel that normal brushing is more than enough and I would rather deal with a cavity than deal with the thought of giving her chemicals that she doesn't need.

Do you have the name of the prescription?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Well, I don't have the name of the prescription with me. It is in her diaper bag, and she is with her dad right now. I could get back to you with that tomorrow, if you'd like to look that up. And btw, I think you and I have the same tap water.. Portland right? The doctor said there is none in the water here. I really don't know if that's true or not.

Neiby, at this point, I am kind of agreeing with you.

I have already got CPS after me, so I am really really afraid of the doctor saying I went against her wishes, if I did decide not to let this stuff anywhere near her.

Guess I will have to get to that prescription paper and post with the name of it tomorrow, before bothering to go pick it up.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I am out in Beaverton and we do have it, unfortunately. But yes, I would like to see what the name of the prescription is just to see what info is out there about it. Another option would be to research the product and find all of the info you can about it. Then bring up your concerns to your doctor. I wouldn't mention any info that you find on ATS, or you will look crazy. But if you can confirm what you find here on other websites, then you will have some legitimate concerns. I don't see how CPS can be upset if you are legitimately concerned about the welfare of your child.

Again, if you can get a second opinion that supports what we are saying, it would help. Definitely research it before giving it to your child though.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Here is a fun read that gives some nice facts about fluoride.

www.ecomall.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Thank you very much for the link. I really, really don't like this prescription idea at all. Is this a reputable link? I mean, anyone can put a website of anything on the internet. I wish that there was an easy-to-find truth, when it comes to ANY matter. The world is so full of opposing agendas, it's scary not knowing what/who to trust.

I am so confused with the whole thing, and at this point would assume my little girl will survive and be just fine without this prescription. Not worth taking the chances, you know?

Well thank you for the replies. This site really doesn't make Fluoride out to be something that belongs in anyone's body -- much less a tiny, developing 6 month old's.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This is something that I have kept to myself over the years but with Fluoride being in our water and an additive in our toothpaste too I have noticed something (it could all be in my head) but this story about your child has made me post about this.

I have noticed that if i fail to brush my teeth for a few days I become slightly more anti-big brother than I do when I brush my teeth regularly. Now without sounding a kook and claiming "they" are trying to take over our minds, I would say there is a pacification element to fluoride in our bodies. (*note* this could just be a coinkidink and its all in my head!)

As for advice one what to do especially with CPS on your tail, id go pick up the prescription and just never give the thing to your daughter - no one will ever know.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

I will not look down on you for your views on this.. There are many who believe the same thing(s) about fluoride, and other things that seem to be forced upon us without our permission. We should make our own choices, when it comes to what goes into our bodies, it's rather upsetting that we are not allowed to.

Being a parent is scary enough. Having CPS on your arse, is the most horrifying experience I have ever lived(and wanted to die) through.
Someday I will do some research about this agency, and expose them for what/who they are. Someday.... But who would believe? It is like the "Patriot Act". This government crap is given an innocent-sounding name to hide what it really does.

I'm thinking that will be what I do, though. Picking up the prescription. And when the doctor asks about her taking it, I will be honest.

Still planning on posting the name of the prescription as soon as I can.

Hope this info helps anyone else who is put into this position, and hopefully if this is a NEW thing they are trying to push, we will figure it out on ATS so people can be informed.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Fluoride-Induced Spots on Teeth Harm Kids’ Self-Esteem, says Dental Journal

New York – April 14, 2008 -- Fluoride exposure is rising and causing children’s tooth imperfections, ranging from white spots to brownish discolorations and pitting (fluorosis), dentist Elivir Dincer reports in the New York State Dental Journal. (1)

“Such changes in the tooth’s appearance can affect the child’s self-esteem which makes early prevention that much more critical,” writes Dincer.

Children, aged 2 to 7 years, can swallow about one-quarter milligram of fluoride with every brushing because their swallowing reflexes are not fully developed, reports Dincer.

“Children from the age of 6-months to 3-years should not have more than one-quarter milligram of fluoride per day. Brushing the teeth of a 2-year-old twice a day will expose the child to about one-half milligram, exceeding the allowable [daily] limits” [from toothpaste alone], writes Dincer.

Intentionally swallowing the toothpaste which is likely, given the pleasant flavor of children’s toothpaste, increases children’s fluorosis risk, Dincer reports.

Fluoridated water, supplements, mouth rinses and/or foods add to daily fluoride intake.

Up to 48% of children have fluorosis, with 4% moderate/severe (yellow/brown teeth), reports the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) (2). Fluoride over-exposure at ages 22- to 25-months can discolor the permanent two front teeth while they form under the gums.

Two-thirds of US water suppliers add fluoride chemicals to reduce tooth decay. This fluoridated water is used to make many foods and beverages. (3) “Water and processed beverages (e.g., soft drinks and fruit juices) can provide approximately 75% of a person's fluoride intake,” according to the CDC. (4)

Mixing infant formula with fluoridated water (5), fluoride supplements (drops) (6) and foods with naturally higher fluoride levels, such as tea and ocean fish, independently increase risk of dental fluorosis. Fluoride-containing pesticide residues remain on various foods. Fluoride is also inhaled via ocean and shower mist and is in some medicines.

Why isn't this information reaching the public?

In 2000, dental researcher AK Mascarenhas wrote, “There is substantial evidence that fluoridated water, fluoride supplements, infant formulas, and fluoride toothpastes are risk factors for fluorosis,” alone and together in “Risk factors for Dental Fluorosis: A review of the recent literature,” in Pediatric Dentistry, 4/22/2000.

Mascarenhas censored our news release which broadcasted her tax-payer supported research to the American public by successfully requesting Ascribe news service to deny our business. We have seen little evidence that organized dentistry or federal health officials passing all this information to the public.

“It’s obvious that fluoridation is dosing our children with uncontrollable and undesirable amounts of fluoride,” says attorney Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. “Besides affecting teeth, fluoride can be hazardous to your general health,” he says. "Since fluoride is neither a nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth and no child is, or ever was, fluoride deficient, it's time we stop adding unnecessary and costly fluoride chemicals into water supplies," says Beeber.

Over 1600 professionals joined Environmental Protection Agency scientists in calling for an end to fluoridation. (7) Join the over 11,000 individuals supporting them by signing the petition asking for a Congressional investigation at

congress.FluorideAction.Net...

References: /6p2eqn

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Just because your doctor usually does you right and is a nice guy...

Doesn't mean he hasn't been brainwashed by the "accredited medical establishment".

Is there any place in The Garden from which you can supplement fluoride to your child in this quantity?

No?

That should tell you something.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I personally would not under any circumstances give my child a prescription for flouride.
There is a reason that childrens toothpaste does not contain flouride, it actually causes damage to delicate baby teeth. It also has many other neurological side effects....did you know that prozac is a flouride derivative?

She already gets near toxic doses in the water supply and plenty of accumulation over time from that source alone.

Kids need good nutrition and enough calcium to ensure strong teeth and bones, and then good oral hygiene habits such as not sleeping with a formula bottle and brushing rigth from the beginning with baby toothpaste...........not flouride

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Sodium flouride occurs naturally in water from springs where it's been leached out of the rock layers and is proven to harden tooth enamel against decay. The affect of flouridation on dental decay here has been nothing short of miraculous but, as with all things, too much of it is bad.

When I first moved to this state flouridation of town water was only a proposal and there was a vigorous opposition to it, as happens with all changes, despite the success experienced in all other parts of the country. The most dedicated opponents declared they would never drink flouridated water and they opted to get all their drinking water from the springs on the nearby mountain as many had been doing for over a century (it's excellent water btw). That spring water was analysed and surprise surprise, it was found to contain far more flouride than was being put in the town water

There's been no reported casualties due to either source of water - town water or spring water. Those with rainwater tanks don't appear to have any advantage over those on flouridated supplies and, subject to their typical diets like white bread and sugary foods, the children can have a higher incidence of tooth decay than those in the city or drinking spring water.

Of more concern is the required chlorination of drinking water in summer when the storages are low and increased temperature accelerates the growth of blue-green algae and bacteria. Not much choice there as unchlorinated water can be deadly under the right conditions.

Flourine is a nasty element but few oppose the use of table salt which is sodium chloride with a trace of iodine in it.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

FreakyClown, I actually think that you are very observant. I read recently that fluoride really does have something in it that makes people more docile. I was researching the Codex Alimentarius and came across that information. We do know that it's also a toxic.
Like the poster above said, I would just fill the prescription and not give it to your little girl. Tell CPS that you did. I used to work with CPS when I was a psychotherapist for the county. Trust me, you don't want to get on their bad side. Give them absolutely ZERO reason to complain about you. Just because you've got CPS on your tail, doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong. My 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Like the poster above said, I would just fill the prescription and not give it to your little girl. Tell CPS that you did.
[]
My 2 cents.

I guess you shouldn't contact the county for their disposal recommendations; if you're trying to avoid CPS.

So what do you propose one does with the toxic waste? Trash can? Pour it out in the back yard? The sink?

Perhaps you could bake it into a cake and give it to your banker before you beg for your next loan.

flouridically docile,

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I have already got CPS after me, so I am really really afraid of the doctor saying I went against her wishes, if I did decide not to let this stuff anywhere near her.

This whole discussion reminds me of a certain movie. Fluoridation works perfectly with your post war-communist conspiracy. Yeah, sure.

Anyway, Im curious as to why the CPS is after you in the first place. What do they say you have done wrong?

[edit on 4/15/2008 by DisInfo]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
i wouldn't do it - i've never heard of fluoride prescriptions. our pediatrician never even mentioned anything like that and he's almost 2. she told us to get the finger brush and training paste as well and the boy thinks it's fun to brush his teeth like mom and dad. i say skip it, but i'm also just a loony guy on the internet.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
My pediatrician also wrote a prescription for flouride. Our DENTIST told us not to do it though, that it was unnecessary, so I never gave it to my kid. I trust what the dentist says a little more on this one...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join