It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building an EMP

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Wow, building an EMP? Killer robots?

If any killer robots cross your path, don't worry about building an EMP (the process of which would probably kill you anyway), just flash a copy of Windows Vista at it.

It should back right off after that.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404

If any killer robots cross your path, don't worry about building an EMP (the process of which would probably kill you anyway), just flash a copy of Windows Vista at it.

oh come on thats a bit harsh...poor psychotic rampaging killer robots...they have fake feelings too you know!

[edit on 17-4-2008 by freakyclown]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404

THE POWER OF MICROSOFT GENUINE ADVANTAGE COMPELS YOU!

Incidentally, that trick works in real life, on Linux users.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
oh hell, wrong thread. Disregard this.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by mdiinican]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Just an FYI for all those who insist that you can't build an EMP out of a 1100watt microwave, your wrong! I have personally built a low level directional EMP out of microwave parts that is semi directional with an effective distance of about 150ft and fried an old car, laptop and several other things. Also my fingers did not turn to plasma and I don't have cancer yet, but they are also very dangerous to build and in the hands or someone who is inexperienced and irresponsible.

I have also build Masers, lasers and working on a test firing of a miniture rail gun, and no you don't have to tell me that the smallest rail gun is on a battleship cuz that's BS. I have one that is functional and fits on your average picknick table.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
An EMP Weapon? To Kill Robots?

Me thinks that ye may need a rather bit more techinical
knowledge than what you have currently opined in order to build
something like that!

Regarding the use of explosives to create a PRECISE
explosive wavefront within a waveguide requires proper switching
such as a Krytron to obtain picosecond level timing
of explosive detonations:

en.wikipedia.org...

Then you need to build explosive lenses:

en.wikipedia.org...

in order to shape the wavefront
and you need some SERIOUS understanding of
hydrodynamics in order to understand
how the wavefront can be used to form
a powerful pulse of radiation strong enough
to wipe out the circuitry of "Killer Robots"
and we must also mention you really SHOULD have
a degree in Electrical Engineering in order
to understand the role that wire gauge,
winding density, resistance, conductance
and other factors will play out in forming
an effective EMP generator.

Instead, I highly suggest you buy a MacBook Pro
and learn JAVA coding so you could
figure out how to UPLOAD a Virus into the
MacOS-X compatible brains of said Terminators.
I mean if Will Smith can wipe out an entire alien
species using a human-made computer virus
it shouldn't be too hard to do the same
against a few bots with any old Mac....

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'd bet money the government would and is looking into this! If someone states they have desire to build and posses a weapon of this grade you can bet on being put on the watch list. That means cavity searchs at the airport! And I am NOT one to believe in conspirasy theorys. Whats next, how to build a meth lab or nuclear bomb? Your damn straight they watch this stuff!!!!! Even if you state it was a joke, good luck. Its like yelling "bomb" on an airplane.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's a Bomb! It's a Bomb! It's a Big Bad B O M B !!!!!

The Movies Gigli and Plan 9 From Outer Space that is...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yeah, EMP's aren't going to do you any good. Yes they exist, I know this because one of the things I had to do to some of the things I've built is shield them against hazardous EM pulses.

I know you probably wouldn't like to hear advice on how to take down robotic systems from a roboticist...

... but if they're designed well enough, you wouldn't have enough time to charge an EMP, let alone even get a conventional shot off. Basically, a machine designed to kill with bullets would have you targeted, would have aimed, fired, and placed a bullet between your eyes faster than your own brain could register that the machine is there at all.

... well, it would if I designed it... I have run into some rather stupid engineers out there though. If that gives you any hope.

If automated killing machines are sent on a shoot on sight order... trust me, hide, and don't come back out of hiding until you're damn sure they're gone.
And hope to hell I didn't design it, cause I guarantee you they'd use infrared optics.

(Besides, even if you took out a few hunter drones with the emp, that would tell the rest of them exactly where you are, and you'd be next to die.)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

I share your concern the NSA is building a building in San Antonio Texas its sole pupose is so house all the information they have collected through Main Core. For the rest of the herd Main Core is the name of the system used in illegal data mining that has been used by the American Government under the Bush adm. collecting information on its own citizens. Aprox. 8 million so far. So..... wake up and smell the fried wires.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Wait.. How could you ever test this without threatening what you are trying to protect in the first place?? Plus, if you did figure out a way for proper testing, this would be the defense! Then you would have to spend more time defending the defense to protect the offense. It would be extremely difficult to pull proper measurements if your test nullifies the measuring equipment. It's too much and not simple enough. BTW, is there any known occurences of a specifically intended EMP weapon being used? Ever?

!
Mips

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Just wondering, could you build a short wave EMP device from a taser, say just enough to wipe a computer say within 30 feet away?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by me262
Sorry, but I can't help but get the impression that the op belongs in a Faraday cage.

I thought of using a microwave to create a directional microwave gun. I haven't thought that deeply about it, but ideally it would use either a cantenna or parabolic dish (primestar) to focus the microwaves at your target.
I tend to think of it when I need to paint and there are a million yellow jackets swirling around the soffits. It wouldn't be too powerfull, just enough to cook the bastards is maybe an hour or two.

Also though about using a strong laser with a wide beam to blind them. I wouldn't want to start a fire up there.

I think the explosive will degrade beyond the point of reiability before you ever get to use it on robotic enemies. Let's concentrate on the enemies we face now, like yellow jackets and starlings

Yellow jackets and starlings are not enemies of anything, but creatures of nature. The only thing that constitutes "enemy" in your scenario is you, the mad-science villain slowly, sinisterly and surreptitiously roasting poor creatures remotely. I wonder if your brain got sizzled from an EMP ELF device or something. Your real enemies are the ones you pay taxes to.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is crazy.

I hope you guys realize that an explosive flux compression generator is a one shot device that completely self destructs when fired, and will probably take you out with it.
Just a giant pipe bomb really.

And a flux compression generator is definitely not an EMP weapon all by itself. There is FAR MORE to it than that.

Don't mess with very high power microwaves (or radioactivity either) unless you know exactly what you are doing.
The authorities might be the least of your worries.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I actually created an EMP entirely by accident.

I put some PC equipment in an enclosure, a couple of PCs in metal cases, and some external hard drives in plastic enclosures. Then I went to Lowes and got an exhaust fan to blow the heat outside through my dryer vent.

Well this sort of worked for a while till one day my lights flickered with some kind of temporary outage or power surge from the power company, which caused the bathroom exhaust fan I got from Lowes to emit a small EMP, but it was powerful enough to completely erase the hard drives that were in plastic enclosures. The PCs that were in metal cases acted like Faraday cages so they were protected from the pulse, but all the magnetic data on the hard drives not protected by a faraday cage was fried.

I had to change the type of exhaust fan to one that doesn't use any coils in the motor to ensure this didn't happen again.

True story. But I don't think it will help protect me against killer robots, though it did prove the effectiveness of the Faraday cage concept.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If your still serious about creating emp's and robot destoying weaponry I have a whole wikia dedicated to it It's only started a few day's ago an I'm still getting information but If you want to drop by maybe even join up I would be greatful I currently am looking for how to make emp grenades and emp generator's possibley even thermite mine's
the wikia is here: robotapocalypse.wikia.com...

P.S. if you have any information please add it to the wikia and I would be extremely happy

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

are you a terrorist? why do you need a EMP? you don't. you want to use it for harm, maybe the fbi should check you out. terrorists like to learn how to create hell for people that do not deserve to be terrorized. I hope you are not a terrorist.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Radio waves are not soundwaves, the radio station sends out radio waves (RF) with an anttena and your radio's anttena. Your radio gets the RF and converts the information sent in the broadcasted signal into soundwaves. You can not hear radiowaves (its not moving air).

Google and youtube have info/videos of these things, and sometimes old microwaves have circuit schematics on the inside of the cover. If your thinking about the RFID chip, a much smaller coil/capacitor would be needed.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? If it isn't moving air.. just what is it moving?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nite owl
reply to post by Xilvius

are you a terrorist? why do you need a EMP? you don't. you want to use it for harm, maybe the fbi should check you out. terrorists like to learn how to create hell for people that do not deserve to be terrorized. I hope you are not a terrorist.

Or maybe he just wants the means to defend himself against abrahams tanks and apaches.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr mips
Wait.. How could you ever test this without threatening what you are trying to protect in the first place?? Plus, if you did figure out a way for proper testing, this would be the defense! Then you would have to spend more time defending the defense to protect the offense. It would be extremely difficult to pull proper measurements if your test nullifies the measuring equipment. It's too much and not simple enough. BTW, is there any known occurences of a specifically intended EMP weapon being used? Ever?

!
Mips

Sure with the right antenna and the right discharge of power into it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join