It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building an EMP

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
In reality, using an EMP device in limited tactical warfare is like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer. Granted, a very strong elctromagnetic pulse can fry electronic circuitry, but it's not something that you could practically use in ground combat and certainly not in an urban environment.

If it is robotic weaponry you are concerned about, there are easier ways of disabling it as follows:

a. Barbed wire entanglement.
b. Walls and trenches.
c. Tripwires and pits.
d. Molotov cocktails (packed with rubber bands).
e. Netting traps.
f. Sniper fire (aiming for receiver or sensor array).
g. Radio jamming.
h. Anti-tank weapons.
i. Smoke screens.
j. High voltage stun weapons.

If you are worried about flying robotic weaponry, build yourself an underground survival bunker with an infrared shield (Two grades of tungsten oxide WO3 & WO2.7 mixed with a polyurethane resin and painted onto canvas).

However, if you really want to know www.plans-kits.com...

[edit on 15/4/08 by Myrdyn]

XL5

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Microwave oven EMP does work as long as your dish/horn is "matched" to the resistive'ness of the air around you. Otherwise the power will drop off fast after a few feet from the device. The "pain" beams the military wants to use are microwaves, so if those can give people pain or death at a distance, they can induce a voltage in a device. Sure you wont get a mile long destructive beam from a 1000Watt home made microwave device, you may only get 100feet and cancer but it still does something.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
no, no, no, stay away from microwaves.

The only reason the military can use it is because of the new invention that can direct sound. You have herd of those speakers that only play in one direction right? You have to be in the "sound beam" to hear it. Well its the way they are aligning then waves and directing them like laser beams. They do that with the microwaves and get the same effect. Directed microwaves.

I wouldn't go taking apart your kitchen microwave and trying to use it. LOL

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Just for something to add.
If an EMP were to ever go off and screw over everyone in terms of technology, be sure that you buy an older shortwave radio from WWII era. Radios or anything that doesn't rely solely on electronic circuitry.

XL5

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The directional speakers use a high frequency carrier to transmit the modulated audio signal. If there is a material that can focus the beam like a laser AND its NOT just used as a compact form of a dish or horn, then just get some of that stuff then. All that is needed is the proper dish/horn and grounded copper foil full body suit.

Microwave ovens have a microwave transmitter in them and are 1000watts or so, microwaves can be transmitted long distances, they can be directed. We all know those facts, however in this case, every one saying not to do it is thinking "this kid has a microwave at home and might try it, so lets tell him that it won't work instead of hoping he will listen to the warnings (you'll shoot yer eye out kid)".

BTW, I did take electronics Eng. in college and have made a microwave gun (it did work, not too well but I did fry a monitor from 10feet away) and class IV lasers.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No you wont shoot your eye out, you will fry your eye out. The human body is made of lots of water, which is diamagnetic. Water, is diamagnetic. hint hint. So the water is effected by the electroMAGNETIC radiation called microwaves. But you know this right?

Water, is diamagnetic. hmmm what could you use that for.....hmmmmmmm

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
CIA's gonna knock on your door when you buy your materials. Didn't you hear about the old man who built a $5000 cruise missile out of retail store supplies, well he was screwed and let's leave it at that.

Trust me, you can't build EMP bombs without a lab or special precautions. Just realize that you would need a Faraday cage to prevent a whole city from rioting infront of your home.

EMP is just... impractical because the U.S. would have shutdown Iraq with it if they wanted, but for some reason, it wasn't used.

To screw robots... get your firehose ready.

[edit on 4/15/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

There is absolutely no point in creating such a device, as it can only be used for terrorist acts on civilian infrastructure.
The best you could get is downing a police vehicle; tanks, helicopters, etc.
Anything militarized has an EMP shielding built in.

All you'd do is destroy anything of remote electronic sophistication in your immediate neighborhood, ergo dooming your neighbors.

If you're going to go to great lengths, it is good to understand what exactly you would be achieving.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
To 'harden' your 'stuff' whatever that stuff may be, is as simple as shielding it with a faraday cage. A faraday cage is just a metallic screen that shields against any electromagnetic fields (and thus EMP's). Your car acts as a faraday cage protecting you from a lightning strike..as does your microwave, you see that screen mesh in the window of your microwave?)

Standard faraday protection for computers or electronics consists of a screen like mesh of metallic material, the spacing of which determines which frequencies its capable of shielding (ie: radio, microwave, xray, gamma etc)

Instead og buildin an EMP you should instead think of building faraday cages for your 'stuff'.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by battlestargalactica]

XL5

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The cia won't be knocking on your door unless they have reason to suspect you've got a really great set up that can do small range (by their standards) damage. I can get large capacitors and radar magnetrons, I could have also gotten a pharos III laser, no one ever contacted me. Just make sure your not advertizing stuff or going pro.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Freakyclown knows how to do it. He gets a star for being well rounded.

One more line of serious quality information.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Seriously, no one should be helping this guy build weapons.

DUH! If you help him, you might find yourself as a terrorist in Gitmo!

And rightly so at that. Enjoy the interrogation.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

I agree with people that say you will get a knock on the door.

When you say you wouldn't tell anyone, do you realize how easy it is to track somebody down through the internet? If you don't want somebody to know something, the internet may be the worst place to put something in writing.

Please put this idea to a stop before you hurt yourself or somebody else. This is not going to protect you anyway and I personally think you are being just a bit paranoid. To each his own though...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on ATS and honestly it boggles me why this thread hasnt been locked yet. I'm pretty damn sure that ATS's rules dont allow for talk of building A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WEAPON. What happens if this idiot does build his EMP and decides it'd be a good idea to use it in the middle of traffic (this is all hypothetical but proves a point.) No matter how you like it, thats a terroristic action and im pretty sure that ATS could be found to have aided him if one of you just so happens to give him info on how to build one.

The point is we have no idea who this person is or why he wants to build one. For all we know he COULD be a terrorist (yeah, not likely but you really never know) If he wants to build one on his own time using research that HE found. cool, good luck with that then (and good luck explaining to the feds ur reasoning).

I just dont want ATS to be found guilty of doing anything illegal and then BAM, one day it gets shut down cause some guy helped so and so build a bomb.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by High Five
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on ATS and honestly it boggles me why this thread hasnt been locked yet. I'm pretty damn sure that ATS's rules dont allow for talk of building A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WEAPON. What happens if this idiot does build his EMP and decides it'd be a good idea to use it in the middle of traffic (this is all hypothetical but proves a point.) No matter how you like it, thats a terroristic action and im pretty sure that ATS could be found to have aided him if one of you just so happens to give him info on how to build one.

The point is we have no idea who this person is or why he wants to build one. For all we know he COULD be a terrorist (yeah, not likely but you really never know) If he wants to build one on his own time using research that HE found. cool, good luck with that then (and good luck explaining to the feds ur reasoning).

I just dont want ATS to be found guilty of doing anything illegal and then BAM, one day it gets shut down cause some guy helped so and so build a bomb.

Maybe, and if somebody needs to take action they will, however as ATS members we should probably be trying to reason and show this person why we ALL feel this is a very bad idea and not calling them an idiot.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Hmm, maybe this thread could be set up by some bored govt. agents to bait somebody?
Sorry for the one-liner.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
Hmm, maybe this thread could be set up by some bored govt. agents to bait somebody?
Sorry for the one-liner.

Are you serious? Do you think the government would pick this topic out of all the normal ones to bait somebody?

XL5

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

So I guess this person who posted this vid is going to have the feds at his door huh.

Now if he was buying a huge radar transmitter and huge capacitors from the govt., airport or millitary and has given his name and adress. Then they might show up to find out what his purpose is and proof of that or take his toy away and charge him. We are not at the point where people can't experiment with household stuff, otherwise 99% of the people in gitmo would be kids. Think about how many people make terrorist tools (bombs) in youtube.

Personally you have more to fear when it comes to stupidity and abuse of power then you do from imagination.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crabmeat
it's obvious that there'll be a robotic uprising and that a functioning EMP weapon would save us.

Wow! A robot uprising....right. I actually agree that this could happen...

in the year 2100!

We can barely get a robot to move fluidly like a human, let alone become senteint (ie ASIMO).

Originally posted by Crabmeat
watch Oceans Eleven, near the end of the movie the cast acquires an item called a Pinch, which releases the same EMP waves as an atomic weapon does without everything in the area vaporizing.

EMP's, as seen in the Matrix, aren't possible as far as i know. electricity, no matter how many volts released, generally follows a static path through the atmosphere. that's why thunder bolts are single bolts and not thunder thrashings. sure they break up but the main blow of the volts hits in one spot.

Ehh not to sure about this one. I have seen lightning split off and fork. And it just depends on the air at the time of the lightning strike. It depends on how the charges in the air are.

All in all, I doubt you can make a homemade emp device, unless you work/attend a college like CalTech or Harvord or one of those colleges that get funding for their scientific research. Just go back and watch your movies.

And besides...that would be considered a weapon, and im pretty sure it would be ILLEGAL for you to obtain one and have it work

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about any government or law enforcement, you don't have any sort of criminal record. Building an EMP bomb is assuredly much harder in practice than in principle. Sure, it sounds simple, a conductive tube, filled with explosives, inside an electrified coil producing a magnetic field. It's not the sort of thing your average garden variety domestic terrorist can pull off successfully. The truth is, it takes a rather high degree of precision to get it to explode correctly, instead of just going off like a pipe bomb. Shaped charges are tricky business, and take a rather high degree of fluid dynamics to get right. This thing has to go off from one end to the other, in a controlled detonation in a uniform wave.

There is, after all, a reason besides the difficulty of enriching uranium, that even today, when the basics of implosion nuclear weapons are clearly laid out all over the web, that it still takes years for any country interested in the proliferation of nuclear weapons to itself to develop such a device. Iran can't, North Korea can't do it well, South Africa never figured it out, and used gun-style weapons instead, and who knows what Israel has. The concept is so simple a child can understand it. The execution takes years of engineering by the best minds your country can provide.

Now a compression type EMP bomb doesn't take the nanosecond precision that an implosion nuclear bomb does, but it's in a whole different league from a bomb that simply needs to explode.

You'll probably just end up injuring yourself. Not to mention any cold-war era military gear is EMP hardened anyway, to protect them during a limited nuclear exchange.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by mdiinican]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join