It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building an EMP

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I've decided that i'm going to need an EMP to ensure the survival of many in the future. If anyone would happen to have any schematics at all, i would appricate your help, on the behalf of the people it may save one day.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Even if you had an EMP, how would that ensure the survival of anyone? Please tell me.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
LOL i can see men at your fron't door All in black saying hello come with us pls OH NO !!!
and as the other post said Why would you want a emp?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
it's obvious that there'll be a robotic uprising and that a functioning EMP weapon would save us.

watch Oceans Eleven, near the end of the movie the cast acquires an item called a Pinch, which releases the same EMP waves as an atomic weapon does without everything in the area vaporizing.

EMP's, as seen in the Matrix, aren't possible as far as i know. electricity, no matter how many volts released, generally follows a static path through the atmosphere. that's why thunder bolts are single bolts and not thunder thrashings. sure they break up but the main blow of the volts hits in one spot.

XL5

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
EMP will not follow one path, it will act like a radio wave. To make an electro "magnetic" pulse, you need a high voltage capacitor of at least 5KV/1000uF + or 100KV/100uF, a thick coil of wire and a VERY fast high power switch. You don't want to do it near your electronic stuff even if its off.

You could also make a "directional" "EMP" out of microwave parts and a steel dish (horn). It could blind you and give you cancer though.

Both devices have high voltages at high power and will not just zap you like a taser, the voltage and CURRENT will turn the contact area (i.e. your whole finger) into plasma AND kill you.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
EMP will not follow one path, it will act like a radio wave. To make an electro "magnetic" pulse, you need a high voltage capacitor of at least 5KV/1000uF + or 100KV/100uF, a thick coil of wire and a VERY fast high power switch. You don't want to do it near your electronic stuff even if its off.

You could also make a "directional" "EMP" out of microwave parts and a steel dish (horn). It could blind you and give you cancer though.

Both devices have high voltages at high power and will not just zap you like a taser, the voltage and CURRENT will turn the contact area (i.e. your whole finger) into plasma AND kill you.

That's a risk i'm willing to take. I don't know why i think that i'm going to need it, just that i will. If the time comes that i need to use it, it'll be ready, if not, then at least i was prepared.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
you mean electricity running through soundwaves?

never thought of that. would it actually work?

XL5

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Radio waves are not soundwaves, the radio station sends out radio waves (RF) with an anttena and your radio's anttena. Your radio gets the RF and converts the information sent in the broadcasted signal into soundwaves. You can not hear radiowaves (its not moving air).

Google and youtube have info/videos of these things, and sometimes old microwaves have circuit schematics on the inside of the cover. If your thinking about the RFID chip, a much smaller coil/capacitor would be needed.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xilvius
I've decided that i'm going to need an EMP to ensure the survival of many in the future.

What is an EMP ? everyone here seems to know what it is.
Please what does EMP stand for

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
First off EMP stands for Electro Magnetic Pulse.

Second DO NOT try to make one form an old microwave...it wont work and you WILL end up becoming blind (at best you will make a microwave emmiting device with no shielding and it will blind you or end up cooking something)

now onto building an EMP device, I can see why the OP would want one but the practical benifits are limited.

First off an EMP would destroy ALL electronic components in the area including your car, computers etc as well as any non-shielded killer robots from the future.

Now to make your own at home the best option is to make what is known as a "Flux Compression Generator Bomb" - this consists of a metal armature surrounded by a coil of wire (stator winding).

The armature cylinder is filled with high explosive, and a sturdy jacket surrounds the entire device. The stator winding and the armature cylinder are separated by empty space. The bomb also has a power source, such as a bank of capacitors, which can be connected to the stator.

Here's the sequence of events when the bomb goes off:

* A switch connects the capacitors to the stator, sending an electrical current through the wires. This generates an intense magnetic field.
* A fuse mechanism ignites the explosive material. The explosion travels as a wave through the middle of the armature cylinder.
* As the explosion makes its way through the cylinder, the cylinder comes in contact with the stator winding. This creates a short circuit, cutting the stator off from its power supply.
* The moving short circuit compresses the magnetic field, generating an intense electromagnetic burst.

This will generate a fairly directional burst of EM but no where near as massive as one from a nuke, but it should cause the desired effect.

Again please be safe and dont construct stuff like this....its probably not worth the jail time vs safety against killer robots

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Actually I just found this Clicky

Maybe doing a search of ATS might help in future.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakyclown
Actually I just found this Clicky

Maybe doing a search of ATS might help in future.

Thanks
I'll be sure to put this to good use, although my means of setting it off sure as hell wont be via missle

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Xilvius and Crabmeat: The stuff you want to stop with an EMP are only in the movies. Don't you think the military would make a robot that's EMP proof. The technology exists now for this.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

Haven't you seen the Matrix? Obviously you'd use it to save your flying submarine from the robotic squid assassins.

Awesome idea
Has anyone actually built one here?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

ok here is my problem with your request and please don't get angry but how do we know your not gonna turn around and sell it to "terrorist" and so on.
I'm sure you would not but this is how "accidents" happen, again please don't take offense I'm just asking a simple question.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by miguelbmx
reply to post by Xilvius

ok here is my problem with your request and please don't get angry but how do we know your not gonna turn around and sell it to "terrorist" and so on.
I'm sure you would not but this is how "accidents" happen, again please don't take offense I'm just asking a simple question.

I can only give you my word for what it is worth, but the chances that i'll even be telling anyone where it is at are 0. If the event arises that it is needed, i want to protect myself and as many others as i can. The chances are high that there are "EMP-proof" electronics that might not be effected, but better safe than sorry

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The only real security assurance I think you could get with an EMP would be in using it to destroy your own PC hardware/data if you needed to very quickly. If I lived in china for example, it's something I would probably insist on getting my hands on, just in case.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
how do you suppose electronic devices are EMP proofed?

perhaps the devices have an outer shell that releases an EMP wave at the same frequency, repelling the waves from the attacking EMP wave?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
E-4 Test Image

A right front view of an E-4 advanced airborne command post (AABNCP) (b/n 75-0125) on the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) simulator for testing.

en.wikipedia.org...

The E-4B is designed to survive an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) with systems intact, and has state-of-the-art direct fire countermeasures.

What you are going to need in case of a sudden robotic take over, is lots of "radio jammers" which you can make out of normal electronics.

Lots of infrared LED's that will blind some of their camera sensor's or any cameras on board.

Laser pointers, they can be used to temporarly blind many sensors, would be a good tool to carry in your pocket if the need arises.

You gotta know the prime secret to all living things. Their weakest link is their eyes. Blind them.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sorry, but I can't help but get the impression that the op belongs in a Faraday cage.

I thought of using a microwave to create a directional microwave gun. I haven't thought that deeply about it, but ideally it would use either a cantenna or parabolic dish (primestar) to focus the microwaves at your target.
I tend to think of it when I need to paint and there are a million yellow jackets swirling around the soffits. It wouldn't be too powerfull, just enough to cook the bastards is maybe an hour or two.

Also though about using a strong laser with a wide beam to blind them. I wouldn't want to start a fire up there.

I think the explosive will degrade beyond the point of reiability before you ever get to use it on robotic enemies. Let's concentrate on the enemies we face now, like yellow jackets and starlings

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join