It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca Cola draining wells in rural India to make Dasani

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Coca Cola draining wells in rural India to make Dasani

www.indiaresource.org

Over 1500 villagers marched to the Coca-Cola company's bottling plant in Mehdiganj in Varanasi in India yesterday demanding that the bottling plant shut down immediately. Breaking a police barrier that attempted to keep the protesters 300 meters from the bottling plant, the villagers held a rally at the plant's gate accusing the company of creating severe water shortages in the area and polluting the water and land.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Corporate greed at its finest. Who cares about people in rural India right? It is more important that Coke makes a profit and that thirsty people everywhere else can pay them for that water.

Can you imagine the devastation if you weren't able to buy a bottle of Dasani? You would be forced to buy one of 10,000 other types of bottled water. So, if a few rural farmers in India no longer have access to any drinking water, well... they should be happy that they could help the greater good of mankind and Coca Cola.

It's called sacrifice people.

(note: This post was sarcasm. Coca Cola should be ashamed. So should people who buy Dasani)

www.indiaresource.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
what an outrage! Corporate greed is creates the ugliest business methods, I won't purchase bottled water anyway, I use a filter, and pour it by hand, I realized the waste involved with plastic water bottles the first time I ever saw one. I am stopping drining coke products for my health ( I have been a coca cola addict for years now, it is not good for you!), this article solidifies yet another reason to pull out of purchases from them!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I'm sure this has happened before in India, a few years ago at another plant.
As someone who has travelled to India many times on business it became apparent very quickly that Coa Cola pretty much have the drinks market sewn up.
The whole privatisation of water, such a basic necessity to life, is a despicable practice, especially in such poor countries where the drinking water that they rely on is instead syphoned off for corporate greed.

I think it was Channel4 in the UK that produced a good programme a couple of years back dealing with this issue. They even had people in the US having water shut off because they could not afford the high prices. Public services, basic needs like this, should never be put into private hands.

top topics

join