It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Successful LGBT Entrepeneurs, Interview with a Lesbian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Recently, I submitted an article for consideration for publication. If accepted, it will be my first literary piece to be sold. Below you will find the guidelines that were set forth to be followed. I would appreciate the perusal and evaluation of the ATS audience, while I await word from the publishers. Thank you so much for your time.

Assignment Guidelines: 450-650 words. Drawing from your own personal experience and/or the experience of others or literary sources, write an article that discusses the success story of a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender entrepreneur. Briefly discuss how the entrepreneur arrived at the level of success he or she currently has, not just simply what the entrepreneur did and does. The article must be written from an LGBT perspective. The writer should interview the subject of the article. We expect original research and first-hand accounts. While the article can be written about a successful LGBT entrepreneur from anywhere in the United States, we would like to challenge the writer to identify someone from the state of Michigan and particularly South Eastern Michigan. Include the keywords "LGBT" or the individual identifier "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender" and "coming out" 3-5 times in your article.

Approx. Word Count: 493
Successful LGBT entrepreneurs

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have chosen 'Donna' as my lesbian person-of-interest, for this interview. Although Donna does not live in Michigan at this time, she did temporarily live in the Detroit area for the purpose of employment in the automotive industry. Health reasons pushed her to a more southerly location.

This interview will not only substantiate that Donna is a successful lesbian entrepeneur, but a phenomenal success as a woman of any sexual preference. Her petite stature, wavy dark hair and deep ebony eyes do not hurt the equation, but Donna does not rely on these attributes.

I have chosen the following questions for our lesbian entrepeneur. She will answer in turn.

Interviewer: "Donna, how old were you when you knew that you were a lesbian?"

Donna: "I was fourteen years old and realized that I had deeper feelings for my best friend, than just friendship. I was sexually attracted to her."

Interviewer: "Were you aware that this would have a significant impact on your life?"

Donna: "Not at that moment. The realization came about when my feelings were not returned in the same way. I was left feeling ashamed, so I tried to amend my ways and be normal. Which ended in two failed marriages. I confessed to my second ex how I truly felt, and he went to my parents. They were horrified at first, but then their love for me won out and reason set in.
My dad was worried as to how I would survive without a man to take care of me. I assured him that I had some plans in mind that could work for me."

Interviewer: "My notes tell me that your love for animals has led you into this successful venture of a sitter service for pets. Would you elaborate?"

Donna: "Yes, that is correct. First I attended a dog-grooming school. I thought that this was what I wanted to do. But it was not exactly what I was looking for. I did not like being cooped up indoors all day and having to lift heavy animals on to the grooming table.
After much thought, I finally came up with the idea of going to people's homes and visiting with their pets, either while they worked or were on vacation. I would take the pet for a walk. Play with him/her (favorite toy). Water their plants, bring in mail or newspapers if they were out of town. And of course, feed and water the pet.
This gave me an opportunity to be exposed to many people and many pets. No heavy lifting. An opportunity to get outdoors and exercise. This idea took off very quickly in my area of residence.
I have established A-1 credit rating, a sizable savings account and a vast network of friends and social activities. My dad no longer worries about me. I have proven myself."

Interviewer: "I truly believe that you have, Donna. Rumor has it, that you wear 'many hats' in your community. My research indicates that you do volunteer work for the animal shelter. You are a woman among women, deserving of much admiration and respect. Best wishes to you. This interview is over."

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
FYI: Donna is a real person. She has been my friend for a number of years. I do admire her. When I first met her, the word gay did not come to mind. Donna is not in to role-playing. She is just her self. A very lovely and engaging woman who cares deeply about her community and every living thing.

During the flood of 1998, Donna spent many tireless hours helping to rescue and relocate stranded families and pets.

She laughs at my deep southern accent and I laugh at her Yankee accent. I tell her that she is a Yankee that moved down south and thawed out. It is all in good fun. I do admire her. So when this opportunity to write an article on this subject matter arose, she was my immediate first choice.

Edit: Just thought that I should add that Donna has fully 'come-out' of the closet to all of her friends and clients. She is fondly referred to as the 'Token Lesbian' of the community. Her popularity has soared to the extent, that I have to make an appointment, just to have lunch with her.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Another FYI:
I have recently joined a writers forum. Just wanted to share with you that I have two #1 rated stories there at the moment. I don't know if any of you have read my story about 'Tiki the Murderous Elephant,' but Tiki is one of the #1 rated stories.
If you haven't read Tiki's story, I invite you to do so. Just follow the link in my signature. It is posted on ATS.

Edit: If it is confusing that I have two #1 stories, it is because they are rated in different categories. My other story was in the 'news and politics' section. I submitted my work from my thread here on Capitas Diminutio Maxima. It was well received.

Another Edit:My story, 'Bear Gator of the Okefonokee Swamp,' was rated 14 out of 25. This story was entered in the ATS writer's contest. I di not win here either with that one.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I hope that it will not be off-topic to take this opportunity to thank Worldwatcher.
With her help, I was directed to this forum and was given writer-status. I treasure this. It has given me confidence to proceed. Worldwatcher has taken time out of a busy schedule to give me tips and correction on my writing, especially on my 'Tiki story.' So I have to share credit with her for my #1 rating on the writer's forum. Thank-you Worldwatcher.

And, if I am not stretching myself too far off-topic; I had begun a story here, titled, 'Unspoken Sins.' I have encountered writer's block with this story. If any of you would care to read up on it, U2U me. I will give you the link. I need some ideas on where to take this story. I will share credit.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I almost forgot to update this thread. I did not win.
My story ranked third. I appreciate those of you who
have read my interview. Maybe I will do better with practice.

new topics

top topics

join