It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyrocketing food prices may topple regimes around the globe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
*makes some bored wordplay*

They say that a rich and powerful man feeds the poor man by sending him to war for money, and because of this it could be said that the poor man was enslaved by his needs.

But when the Poor man chooses to go to war not to fill his wallet with the Rich and powerful man's Money, but to fill his stomach with food he has fought for, then it could be said that the poor man was liberated by his needs.

Money is the tool of the rich and powerful to keep the poor man under his boot, let us never forget that.

*ends bored wordplay*

In other news;

[From the BBC NEWS website]

US in $200m food crisis response

US President George W Bush has ordered the release of $200m in emergency aid to alleviate food shortages in Africa and other parts of the world.

The White House said the money would be used to meet unanticipated needs for food aid.

Rising food prices have sparked recent riots in several countries, including Haiti, the Philippines and Egypt.

The World Bank has said a doubling of food prices in three years could push 100m more people into poverty.

link.

And there we have it ladies and gentlemen - self-perpetuating destruction.

Edit; for those of you who fail to see what i'm getting at - they're giving out 200 million dollars to solve a problem that money is not going to solve.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
"The World Bank has said a doubling of food prices in three years could push 100m more people into poverty."

Double from here in three more years.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't know if this is manufactured or not. I tend to think not. I have read that they don't have enough rice in Asia, that they are running low this year. Also, a huge amount of rice went missing just this past week and it was in Asia. How do you lose like 1,000 tons of rice?

Another factor is biofuels making less food available, which in turn drives the prices up. Notice how this seemed to happen very suddenly? I think it's about rising cost of food due to scarcity because of biofuels.

More people are riding their horses into town now, not able to pay exorbitant gas prices.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

There are two major reasons..

One: America's currency is dropping fast, this is having inflationary impacts on countries around the world..

Second: The price of oil is skyrocketing, partially because it is pegged to the US Dollar, which is devaluing at an alarming rate..

Biofuels .. most of which is Corn, produced in America, is having little effect on Rice imo..

However, several countries are having water shortages, droughts or even unusually wet weather.. this is distorting crop yields, and put all of this, oil, deflation, weather together with the fact that because the dollar is dropping so fast, and America is risking a recession, investors are hiding money in oil, gold and even grains.. like wheat.. causing oil and food prices to go up even more..

In times of global recessions/depression... the third world feels the pinch first and hardest.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
They warned us about this way back in the 1970s that we would come to the day where we had more people than food. The pricing is tied to oil but we are approaching a time now when crop failures at the major producing regionscould send the world into a tailspin.

Its time to get started with a 20 year plan and get all the wheat and corn land opened back up and producing. Subsidies not to grow, must go.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
It feels as though someone has manufactured a problem and the question is who will gain from this. What type of powers will be granted to help solve the problem. Someone is going to benefit. I just want to know who.

NAFTA and GATT are huge contributors to the global food crisis. Mexican farmers, for example, can't afford to grow crops because of cheap imports from Canada. Subsidising farmer's only tends to make the problem worse.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join