It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have protesters really accomplished?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but protesting doesn't seem to be a way of getting anything accomplished and seems more or less like something to do for the heck of it... I have a step bro that protests where ever a protest is for whatever reason, just to protest! It's fun for him, but to me it's pointless...

Can anyone tell me what any protest has actually accomplished? I'm talking about the ones with picket signs and such, not riots! I know a riot would change some minds about things..

Has anyone been in a protest that succeeded?
What do you think of protests?
Worth while or pointless?
Your opinions please... rant away people!

[edit on 14-4-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I agree protesting SEEMS pointless, BUT, when you protest you Encourage people to dig and find the truth for themselves, Alot of times protesters make it on the news and it sends a message That what the people your protesting are doing is wrong. It may not change laws but it changes alot of peoples view

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
How about saving an University.

The local uni in my city was going to be changed to a Polytechnical school as opposed to what it is now, a liberal arts institute with technical courses offered.

Well that didn't go over well and we protested. A lot.

10,000 people over a couple of days in two different cities. The Premier of our province backed down.

The change was initiated due to some Mega Energy projects that are coming here and there was fear by the majority stake holders that they may have to go elsewhere to find the employees. Now I understand this concern but he have very good technical schools already here in the form of Community Colleges.

Anyway. Have a look at these vidoes. This is the people standing up for what they believe in. Don't ever give that right up. Once it is gone, you will NEVER get it back.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The protests during Nam were so huge, frequent and in many cities and even in small towns the the politicians saw that to support the war was political suicide. The war ended.

When massive amounts of people get disgusted enough to take to the streets and voice their opinion....things change!

[edit on 14-4-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The Civil Rights movement and the Women's suffrage movement come to mind as well.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
... Mahatma Gandhi?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This protest is a great example to freedom loving patriots everywhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The poll tax protests (riots) in the 80s stopped the poll tax. (we ended up with council tax instead,so "the man" still won)

I've been to protests,3 anti war ones in london,including the first one,where 2 million people took to the streets.And a few anti racism/anti fox hunting ones. I think it's great,ok,so it's pretty much pointless in the majority of cases,but you can't just lay down and let them do what ever the hell they like!! If all the people who were opposed to the war actually came to london and stood up together,then maybe something different would have happened. I think it's a crying shame that more people don't protest againt the goverments. How else are we going to be heard,writing them a polite letter? The only way is direct peaceful protest. (to stay within the law) And i'd urge everyone and anyone to go to a protest if they agree with the cause. We need to have more people there to actually represent what the people think. Cos you ARE the people,these things affect YOU!!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well I'm glad I got some of you thinking, thank you for posting to those who posted... I agree we can stand strong and fight for rights and it can be a good thing... I'm just wondering when we will do this sort of thing against the NWO... I will be there for sure if any one actually organizes a mass march of some kind...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I have a strange feeling in my stomach when I think about what a NWO protest would be like. Especially after the world wakes up and realises what's going down. Proper battles on the streets,man vrs the machine. But then,I eat alot of cheese,so it might be indigestion.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I have a strange feeling in my stomach when I think about what a NWO protest would be like.

Battle in Seattle

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

That movie looks insane man! What is this coming out or is it out? I'd like to see it... thankx!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'd say yes and no on this one... I think most of people involved where high on drugs and mainly went just to "chill"... No offense, but same reasoning as I had before... Most involved are just doing it to do it... In my opinion protests only create tension and I personally don't like tension... It's like saying the riot over Rodney king was because of Rodney king... it more or less was a reason to loot...

At any rate I'm sure there are still some that have accomplished something... Like the few that are posted on here... But I believe most protests that happen today more or less make a mockery out of the real ones... I can also understand going on strike because you don't get paid enough and things of that nature...

Anyway, I don't know, don't get it sometimes I guess..

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I have a strange feeling in my stomach when I think about what a NWO protest would be like. Especially after the world wakes up and realises what's going down. Proper battles on the streets,man vrs the machine. But then,I eat alot of cheese,so it might be indigestion.

Lol first of all... the protest won't be a protest it will be a riot if anything... If you protest you're just setting yourself up for an attack...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I always thought the idea of a protest, was the exercise your right to voice your opinon on a certain subject.....And if your not there to voice your opinion, you're there to show support...

In some cases I can see, how some people would go to a protest "to hang out" because its "cool" to appear to be "standing up for something"....but, seriously, the MAIN idea of a protest, is to have a group of people who stand together, and speak.

new topics

top topics

join