It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful Earthrise!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Kaguya has sent back this image and video of the April 5, 2008 earthrise. The video is stunning!

Beauty Shot: Moon Probe Catches Full Earthrise

"This is the first time that a high-[definition] image of the 'Full Earth-rise' has been captured from space," JAXA officials said.

The sun, Earth, moon and Kaguya have to line up just right in order to present a full, orb-like Earth to the spacecraft's camera, an arrangement that only occurs about twice a year, they added.

~source~

Check out this video. I hope that this has not yet been posted. I did a search, but found no recent images.

Enjoy!

Edit to add that there is a quicky ad before the vid.

[edit on 14-4-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
That is indeed quite a beautiful shot there. A great find too.
Almost doesn't look real...imagine if you were actually on the moon and got to see that when you wake up every morning! Quite a sight to see.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Not only is it a great find because of the beautiful imagery, but it's also from the FUTURE!

The just-issued movie was taken on November 5, 2008.
source

Obviously a typeo, but funny none the less.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by deadboi

Hi deadboi. Looks like they got their dates mixed up in that particular paragraph. Just for clarification:

The probe's high-definition television camera, which was provided by the Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK), has recorded an Earthrise before during a Nov. 7, 2007 orbit. But that pass caught a waning Earth, not the full, bright disc spotted on April 5, JAXA officials said.

~source~

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Nice find; here is a .gif version of the same

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hiyah Rush

Great thread, beautiful awesome footage thanks for posting it

I love your new background too

I couldn't get the video from www.space.com to load darn it, I will keep trying but thanks to Enceladus of the awesome gif

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Big thanks Enceladus. I would love to know how you did that (if it's easy and you don't have to know big computer words
). If you get time to shoot me a quick u2u I would be forever grateful.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
And this is how Earth set would look like:

Hsur2112, I didn't make those .gif files; I just did a quick search and found them in a different web page. Thought it would be helpful and easy for many people to view the Earth rise and set. Making a .gif file is not that hard; all you need is a small software and different frames of the event.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Enceladus

That's beautiful, Enceladus. Thanks. Give me a lawn chair and a martini and I could sit and watch that all day....night....day....night.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
stunning! thanks for posting

new topics

top topics

join