It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help: Screenshots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hey guys. To start off with...I know very little about computers, just enough to be dangerous. Is there any simple and free software to download to capture screenshots?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
hit print screen (sometimes prt scrn) on your keyboard (upper right area past the F keys). that stores a capture of the screen in memory that you can past into any app that handles image data - mspaint, ms word, powerpoint, etc. past that there's a tool called snag-it that gives you some extra features. can't remember if it's freeware or not...

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Thanks an0many33. You mean it's been staring me in the face (laughing, I'm sure) all this time? I'll fool around with it today.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ok, another stupid computer moment......

How do I save that screenshot to a file so that I can upload to photobucket or elsewhere?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
well after you've pasted it somewhere....you save it...usually an option from the file menu....toward the top of the window...on the left...

so you can paste it into the paint program that comes with windows, hit save, make sure you pick jpeg for the file type under where you would type the filename (bitmaps are HUGE)

that's it...then you can do what you want with the file.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I know
. Thank you, thank you. My husband is out of town, he usually helps. I will play with this some more and post with my next silly question. You've been a big help. And by the time I get it all figured out, you will be using this smiley......:shk: . lol

Or this.........
:shk:

[edit on 14-4-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
trust me, i'm used to it. my wife always says i'm the doctor of the family. i just deal with computers instead of people. =)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
To save space, try hitting Alt+PrtScn. This will take a snapshot of the active window. It will get rid of any desktop background and taskbars in the shot.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Thanks Rasobasi420 for the tip. I think I'm staring to get the hang of it and that will help alot.

And thank you an0maly33!!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Gimp is a free photo program on par with PhotoShop.

I have used it before for this as well, I like it because you can control the quality of the image ... leave it uncompressed, or adjust the quality of the JPEG compression with a percentage slider and a active preview window. Can save as just about any kind of file. It even has the option under file 'copy from clipboard' which is where the print screen image is saved.

Though, I suppose you have it all figured out by now

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
Gimp is a free photo program on par with PhotoShop.

Though, I suppose you have it all figured out by now

Well, I'm getting there, and I've heard of Gimp but wasn't sure what it was. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the info FreeThinker, it is very much appreciated.

Rush

new topics

top topics

join