It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the Constitution Be Altered to Eliminate Key Liberties?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I don't mean to be so snide, it is not usually like me... I think you bring out the stubborn, tough gal in me. Sorry about that.

You are welcome to your opinion and I welcome it too. If we didn't have discussions with contrasting thoughts, how would we ever get anywhere in life? It certainly would be boring.

Where I take issue with you is with your comments that you are the "reasoned" one and we are the lackeys. I know about government. I've worked for the feds. I work with local government now, but I pay attention. If I don't understand somethhing, I try to educate myself so I am not an idiot spewing things outta my arse.

I have been paying attention to this administration from the start. I predicted things in the beginning that my family (a bunc of Reps) laughed at. Funny how they've all come around after he/they did exactly what I said they would.

I alsotake issue with your complacency. I would be thrilled that you are going to law school, but it doesn't sound to me like you want to do much to correct things, although you admit there is crap going on that is not great. The constitution is not infallble. Our system of checks and balances stopped working some time ago, oh they might work in some cases, but not where the current administration is concerned. Oh, and check out something I just came across (link) I'd like to hear what you have to say one it.

You and I, we can agree to disagree, but I'll, at least, try to be a bit nicer.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I know it looks like that, but if you check my post, I was quoting someones reply to your post.

I did this so that the statement would have more context.

Hope that makes sense, and sorry for any confusion

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The fact of the matter is, Bush didn't start this War on Terror. He was thrust into the role of fighting it, however. He is sailing in uncharted waters without a compass. There were no rules to handle unlawful combatants using high tech communications and the global banking system to plan and fund their atrocities. He is doing what he thinks is best to protect the US.

Regardless of whether you agree with him, he does have the implicit approval of the legislature, based upon their acceptance of his actions. They know that he is pushing the envelope as far as laws governing the current situation, and they are hesitant to challenge him because the outcome would need to be determined by - that's right - the judicial.

And this dire homily about how we are perched precariously on a cliff of doom because all it takes is one more vote!! is both silly and at the same time somewhat true, but then again, so is the solution: to deny his conservative appointees. The odds of another SCOTUS vacancy in the next 7 months are slim at best anyway.

So if you have solutions to the security problems facing this nation, bring them out and let's discuss them. That would be more productive than the incessant demagoguery heard here.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by enigma77

I alsotake issue with your complacency. I would be thrilled that you are going to law school, but it doesn't sound to me like you want to do much to correct things, although you admit there is crap going on that is not great. The constitution is not infallble. Our system of checks and balances stopped working some time ago, oh they might work in some cases, but not where the current administration is concerned. Oh, and check out something I just came across (link) I'd like to hear what you have to say one it.

You and I, we can agree to disagree, but I'll, at least, try to be a bit nicer.

I've tried to respond to every Constitutional issue thread I have found.
that "Dimension" guy has me running all over the place here...just read my post regarding the death penalty for child molesters or was it rapers?

me? complacent?? I left my kids in Minnesota to go to law school because I have to do something for this Country I love. I'm too damn old to join the military and frankly I don't want to fight for King George.

I didn't and haven't taken any offense from any of your or anyone else's replys to me...I would suck as an attorney if I took arguing personaly, don't you think?

The Constitution "is what it is" (Res Ipsa) loosely. It therefore is neither perfect nor falable. SCROTUS....
I love it! anyway...(I'm poking fun at the SCOTUS people...I think SC works just fine but we could get all POTUS for Bush too if we wanted. where the hell was I????
.....oh yeah, now the SC has messed up "interpreting" the Constitution and you may be meaning that for it being fallable....remember "Dred Scott" the SC ruled that Black people were property

Look, I thought I was pretty well informed and educated prior to going to law school...(I guess you have to be to get in?)
Day in and Day out.....it makes you just love this Country and that amazing "piece" of paper.
All of my posts regarding the Constitution has one consistent theme....we are going to be ok. The SC and Congress will bend in the wind but they will not let the Constitution get shredded.....we just can't panic people by announcing that King George has lost his fracking mind....he will be gone soon.....He will not get another chance to appoint a Harriet Miers type person.....OH MY GOSH....don't get me started on her....I almost lost my fracking mind when she was being considered!!!!
If you think Gonzo was the biggest fricking retard, you should have seen this dim bulb........everybody....."the sun will come out....tomorrow....bet your bottom Euro....I mean dollar........"
Anyway.....I have faith in this great Country and no despot is going to take us down...why???? because the Constitution is making him give up his power next January!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

SCOTUS can only render opinion on precedented law.Any change in constitutional law has to be done by the House and Senate. The courts are not imune to review the legislative branch can impeach a jurist.

Wow. Oddly enough, for about 200 years, you couldn't be detained without a trial in this country. Now, it seems you can. I don't remember any constitutional amendments coming up for vote in the House, the Senate, nor in the State legislatures. When did I miss those votes?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

SCOTUS can only render opinion on precedented law.Any change in constitutional law has to be done by the House and Senate. The courts are not imune to review the legislative branch can impeach a jurist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCOTUS "can" hear cases on first impression. Congress will usually just rewrite the statute, but I would be interested in hearing about the last impeached Jurist you know of.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow. Oddly enough, for about 200 years, you couldn't be detained without a trial in this country. Now, it seems you can. I don't remember any constitutional amendments coming up for vote in the House, the Senate, nor in the State legislatures. When did I miss those votes?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will take the right case before the SC (SCOTUS) (I'm just doing the SC thing from now on just like Bush is Bush and not POTUS.)
You are wrong about this anyways.....if you ever get civilly commited then you might be wondering about your "trial"....(long story my friend but the truth is...you could be detained and locked up for life without a trial....and it was this way before Bush ever was President) I know for a fact and have seen it. But....I know what you were talking about and habeas corpus isn't going anywhere but like I said, it is going to take the right case before the SC is going to bitch slap Bush....they aren't going to pre-empt anything if they aren't forced to.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
me? complacent?? I left my kids in Minnesota to go to law school because I have to do something for this Country I love. I'm too damn old to join the military and frankly I don't want to fight for King George.

Ok, I'll back off on that one then. Going into Constitutional law are you? As long as you are in the fight to keep it as it was written, then I'm behind you on that.

[snip] All of my posts regarding the Constitution has one consistent theme....we are going to be ok. The SC and Congress will bend in the wind but they will not let the Constitution get shredded.....

I really hope you are right on that one.

we just can't panic people by announcing that King George has lost his fracking mind....he will be gone soon.....He will not get another chance to appoint a Harriet Miers type person.....[snip]

With his approval rating, do you really think that the people haven't noticed??? Why do you think we are all so concerned that there might be something playing out here that will keep him/Cheney right where TPB want them.

Anyway.....I have faith in this great Country and no despot is going to take us down...why???? because the Constitution is making him give up his power next January!!!

I believe you. Question is, what are YOU willing to do if you are wrong?

edited to fix my fibro typing

[edit on 14/4/08 by enigma77]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
[i completely agree. but the truth of the matter is that at this point
the only way to stop the constitution from being undermined is to
take direct action petition,voting and peaceful protest are useless
now. the powers that be are no longer interested in the PEOPLES best
interest. All out revolution will be the only way out.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
There seems to be misunderstanding what the Constitution is and represents.

The Constitution does not grant you nor guarantee you any rights, period. There is nothing in the Constitution that refers to this in any way shape or form.

What the Constitution does is enumerate these inalienable rights and lay them out for all to read, see, understand and fight for.

The writers of the Constitution were pretty smart, they knew what a document can grant, a document can take away. Therefore the Constitution is only the public proclamation of the rights you already posses and must fight to keep.

Nothing the senate or congress or supreme court can do can strip you of your rights, only when and if the people of the United States surrender to tyranny and oppression does the Constitution become a meaningless document.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hallberg Rassy
Nothing the senate or congress or supreme court can do can strip you of your rights, only when and if the people of the United States surrender to tyranny and oppression does the Constitution become a meaningless document.

You don't think that's already happened??? As for the rest of your post about the Constitution, I really don't understand where you are coming from with that one.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
But....I know what you were talking about and habeas corpus isn't going anywhere but like I said, it is going to take the right case before the SC is going to bitch slap Bush....they aren't going to pre-empt anything if they aren't forced to.

We've ALREADY lost the habeas corpus - You don't rememeber last year when it happened? I believe it was the Military Commissions bill that took it away.

The Constitution has already been shredded and violated, most of it has been rendered useless by Bush's signing statements. It's really not that big of a stretch to think that it would be put aside altogether and/or changed in an illegal way. Remember that Bush, Clarence Thomas and Scalia all think that the Constitution is "outdated" and have publicly said so. This from the branches that took an oath to protect it. I believe that others on the SC have also expressed the same sentiment but I"m not sure which other ones.

I don't think our Constitution has ever been more violated than at this point in our history. They are ALL corrupt and they have all given up on challenging this administration.

I agree with the person who said there is no way out except some type of revolt by the people.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I don't think our Constitution has ever been more violated than at this point in our history. They are ALL corrupt and they have all given up on challenging this administration.

I agree with the person who said there is no way out except some type of revolt by the people.

Video Response:

video.google.com...

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Excellent video, Sri Oracle!
A star for you.

The same legislator that is calling for the picture ID for voters was video'ed breaking the Texas House rules!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Thanks for the video link, Sri Oracle. That's pretty astounding and appalling. Lawmakers voting more than once? That's also pretty brazen.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have been watching these threads for while. Anything that has to do with our Constitution gets a serious look and attention. People, as I have said before and I will continue to say it and remind each and everyone of you that in the event that a rogue element of this administration or "Other Party" tries to hold on to power or install or interfere with free elections, the standing soldiers of this Great Nation WILL NOT ALLOW such an event to happen. I assure you that as an American Citizen it is you legal obligation to stand up for your rights and the rights of your neighbors who may not be able to defend themselves and not allow any action such as this to happen. By all means possible Including Civil War!

This is your country! What would you do if some stranger walked up to you in a terminal somewhere and tried to take you laptop from you? Shocked and Amazed at what just happened your still going to go after the punk who is trying to take it. Scared you may be you are still going. I am sure you have a lot of hard work and personal info in that laptop but I'll bet you are still going. Yes, I know alot of you would be scared and think twice after you have already reacted but you are still going after the punk. But what you did not realize is all of the brave people who were around you when it happened stepping in and helping you defeat and apprehend this punk who took precious computer.

Now if you would do this at risk of losing your computer to theft right before you eyes, Imagine what you would do if you FREEDOM was at risk.

You see, they are all around you and you don't even know it. Everywhere you go and everything you do. If by some horrible nightmare that comes true and these idiots do try something stupid Do Not be Afraid!

" THERE WILL BE MEN IN THE SHADOWS OF THE MEN IN THE SHADOWS AND THEY WILL BE WATCHING AND WAITING." These men will take the lead and you will follow them to stop any attempt to take our FREEDOM OR OUR RIGHTS!

This is your country and you were born FREE and you will remain FREE for as long as GOD allows us to live in this world.

Eye of Eagle

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

Originally posted by forestlady

Video Response:

video.google.com...

I am,

Sri Oracle

top topics

<< 1   >>

join