It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the Constitution Be Altered to Eliminate Key Liberties?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Will the Constitution Be Altered to Eliminate Key Liberties?

www.alternet.org

As radical -- and as shocking -- as these theories may seem to many Americans, Bush is within one vote on the U.S. Supreme Court of having his vision enshrined as "constitutional."

One More Vote

If one more vacancy occurs among the five "non-imperial" justices -- and the replacement is in line with Roberts-Scalia-Thomas-and-Alito -- the U.S. Constitution could be effectively altered to eliminate key individual liberties -- from habeas corpus and other fair-trial rights to bans on "cruel and unusual" punishment to protections against self-incrimination and "unreasonable searches and seizures."

Though civics books tell us that the Constitution can only be amended by two-thirds votes of the House and Senate and approval by three-quarters of the states, the reality is that five ideologues on the U.S. Supreme Court can alter the nation's founding document by simply voting as a bloc.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Think it could never happen?

The posibilty exists now more than ever, especially after the introduction of the homeland security act and the patriot act

www.whitehouse.gov...

www.whitehouse.gov...

It may not be a question of IF, but WHEN civil liberties are severely curtailed.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
...and don't anyone think that once Shrub is out the way all these new powers will be overturned by the next incumbent. The current frontrunners are all as corrupt as, if not more so, than the current "decider".

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

ABSOLUTELY...Look people better start waking up ASAP, or we are truly f***ed...

There is NO DIFFERENCE in Parties or incumbants anymore---EVERYTHING is rigged in the electoral process, right down to the "illusion of choice" in terms of potential "acceptable" candidates for high governmental positions.

This administration has already made 'amendments to the amendments' and in many cases completely disregarded the Constitution altogether to achieve their agendas.

Our entire gov is corrupt to the hilt, and make no mistake about it, they do not have the populaces best interests at heart whatsoever. People better start getting active in protests, writing in, and doing everything they can to make things difficult for these crooks.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Christ, is that even possible?! No two thirds majority? If the Supreme court can get away with that then there really is no hope. Forgive my ignorance but are these the same five who decided that Bush won the 2000 election? Checks and balances my arse. Guess I'll see you guys on the firing line...

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What time is American Idol on again?? really.. THis stuff bores me..

Remember guys.. Deal or no deal.. thats what its all about..

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
What time is American Idol on again?? really.. THis stuff bores me..

Remember guys.. Deal or no deal.. thats what its all about..

I couldn't have said it better. You're correct though, while America is being slowly raped, Americans are asleep at the wheel. The very few, such as people on this site, even care to know what is happening.

[edit on 14-4-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
Christ, is that even possible?! No two thirds majority? If the Supreme court can get away with that then there really is no hope. Forgive my ignorance but are these the same five who decided that Bush won the 2000 election? Checks and balances my arse. Guess I'll see you guys on the firing line...

No kidding. We're having a little discussion about that over here. check it out, if you haven't already. I welcome the rest of you to do the same.

projectvxn--
Not all of us are "asleep at the wheel"; however, you are correct that too many are.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by enigma77

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost

No kidding. We're having a little discussion about that over here. check it out, if you haven't already. I welcome the rest of you to do the same.

projectvxn--
Not all of us are "asleep at the wheel"; however, you are correct that too many are.

The thing is, on the freeway, if you do fall asleep at the wheel chances are you get hurt or killed and take someone else, or several people, with you.

Complacency spreads like cancer. It starts in small pockets, and then it starts to infect the rest of the population. It gets to the point that our standards as a society blur so much that we have no idea what we stand for anymore...and frankly not many really do care. At this point even when the Mass Media tells the truth about something..People say "That sucks. Hope something happens to fix it." and that's where it ends. Few are really doing anything at all to get things stopped. I think part of the problem is a lack of understanding where to go to be heard, what paperwork to file, what marketing agency, to really start efforts to take your country back.

Another part of the problem is the fact that many have families to feed and take care of. And that is a different ball game. That's not a shut out of personal proportions. That is the direct effect of corporate/government policy. That is being called "Kept in the dark". Most people I know just don't care. But many, many others are being kept pretty much in submission by imposed circumstances.

There is a network of self imposed punishment in this country, alot of it is psychological. Like all the violence and propaganda on T.V. Like the hypochondriac-creating pharmaceutical industry. Or the racist dribble we see constantly on news media like Fox, and MSNBC. It is corporate America that drives every divide in this country. And they do it because people BUY into it.

And it is the Corporate Interests that are burning America at the stake, and the Bill of Rights and the Constitution will be the fuel to the fire. Unless. We're willing to really make a sacrifice. To put down our every day lives and realize, that our every day lives are the very thing at stake.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
geez people, what Country are you living in?
When was the last judicial opinion from the Supreme Court you read?
...You have to balance some reality in with what you think "justice" ought to look like.
Do you expect the Supreme court, at its first opportunity, to issue a writ of certiorari and en banc, rule that Bush has enacted unconstitutional orders?
Is that how things work? How good is it for the Country if we have a show down between the Judicial and Executive branches? (Marbury v. Madison has to be one of the best of all time though)....the point is, it isn't necessary to do right now.

It isn't a perfect system nor government but what some of you are suggesting is less probable than Jesse Ventura becoming our next President or that Bush will remain in office until 2012....

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

What you say is absolutely true. However, this is ATS, and Chicken Little worrying about the sky falling, or Damocle's sword dangling overhead is much sexier than boring old reality!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I agree with both the urgency and outrageousness of this development.

But I ask, please, that we not let the judicial branch successfully 'conceal' the fact that any jury can significantly reverse this 'illusion' of 'no recourse'.

Until the Constitution is amended to repeal the power of jurors in the legal system, We CAN fight back - within the system. Juries rule this land - not justices, senators, and congressmen. The disenfranchisement of the people will be complete when the jury can no longer 'nullify' a court ruling or law at their discretion. This legal fact is immutable and thus very closely guarded by the BAR.

I will admit, however, the fact that we in general , are so compliant and yielding to BAR members is a true hindrance towards the 'common people' protecting themselves from institutionalized abuse.

The system is dynamic and changing, and we had 'trust' in the law to be 'just.' But we allowed the institution to be prostituted (just like Health Care, Education, FCC, FAA, FDA, EPA, and many other federal organizations who's mandate was to support the people of the United States).

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Res Ispa, my friend, fancy seeing you here - how are you today? Oh, comfortable in your existance, it seems. I for one, live in MI, last I checked, it was still part of the US. I am glad that you are content in existing with a government that, in your own words

isn't a perfect system nor government

I will remind you as I did in the thread I mentioned in my last post, that you in your own words stated that

Bush is a criminal and liability to the United States and our Constitution

Again, I am glad that you are content with this. I for one, am not.

projectvxn--

Another part of the problem is the fact that many have families to feed and take care of. And that is a different ball game. That's not a shut out of personal proportions. That is the direct effect of corporate/government policy. That is being called "Kept in the dark". Most people I know just don't care. But many, many others are being kept pretty much in submission by imposed circumstances.

I can attest to this. I am educated, have a "good" job, with even some cushy benefits. Yes, I work where I can still get a pension, assuming that doesn't come out from under me. I also have a 457. You know how much I put into it? $20 a month. That is all I can afford. My husband has a good job too, but had to stop putting anything into his 401k, because we need the extra for gas and daycare.

We have a modest house (~$100,000). Currently, our house is worth less than we paid for it because of the housing market crisis. I couldn't sell my house, even at the lower rate, even if I wanted to (to better my situation) b/c every third house is for sale b/c Frigidaire went south - to Mexico. the main employer... so what? Many other business had to shut down in the area b/c the company was their main client... those businesses popped up in response to the company's needs. Now, those who are no longer on unemployment b/c their benifits ran out (nice how they only report those on the dole, they forget about all the others that fell off but are still jobless) they had to get jobs that pay only minimum wage (the service sector).

We don't have the luxery of being able to buy new clothes when needed (I've started darning socks and such), cannot but new shoes till they literally cannot fit (kids) or they fall apart while wearing them. We were doing ok before the gas prices tripled. No toys for us, we don't go out, we don't have extras except for what I need for work.

Guess what - we are middle income. The GAP is getting ever more apparent.

I'll add that a big problem is that those of us who want to do something don't have the time, energy, or resources (b/c of needing to support the family) to do much other than attempt to make it through with hopes that someone who has the means can start the change. And as far as Change goes, I'm not sure about the candidates either. I think more than a changing of the guards needs to happen.

Funny thing - every day I get more worried about using my free speech to speak against the administration. Who knows, maybe they'll decide that a 30-something woman with medical issues, who only wants a happy healthy family and a healthy environment and civil liberties is the next domestic terrorist

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by enigma77

Those of us who are compelled to point out that the emperor has no clothes have been subjected to unusual scrutiny before; so I think it's never a bad thing to think carefully before you speak.

I think there is an odd situation here though, If this is the honest-to-goodness worst case scenario looming on the horizon, we will be ignored. Our notions are no threat to them. But if the PTB are at all worried, we can't be careless because they need homegrown terrorists to justify their actions. That would make us particularly vulnerable since most of us here (I think) relish the freedom to express our doubts and explore their actions - something I'm sure they would rather we didn't do.

The key to my 'citizen hood' is dissent. Until such time that they can muster enough chutzpah to make 'cheer leader duty' mandatory, I will not falter, I will not desist, and I will be heard. Every time someone is forcefully silenced we all lose. Even if we disagree.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have posted this before but PATRIOT 2 will become the new constitution and Bufoon Bush will be wiping his ass on that god dammed bit of paper as he called it. Dont believe me? just wait and see and it wont be long, just another little 9/11 that will do the trick.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
I have posted this before but PATRIOT 2 will become the new constitution and Bufoon Bush will be wiping his ass on that god dammed bit of paper as he called it. Dont believe me? just wait and see and it wont be long, just another little 9/11 that will do the trick.

That is what I most fear. We've got missing nuclear weapons, open borders, piss-poor execution of due-process, a propaganda core masquerading as free-press, a real live Nazi-legacy child in the WH, a corporate junta in control, and absolutely NO patriots left in the public eye.

If they want to - they can orchestrate another horror, for the benefit of the money masters - and then we are all reduced to serfs (if not worse).

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

What you say is absolutely true. However, this is ATS, and Chicken Little worrying about the sky falling, or Damocle's sword dangling overhead is much sexier than boring old reality!

Yes, this IS ATS, and as such you can read the story's that the MSM don't want to print/run.

That's what we're here for (in some ways) the dissemination of information that goes unreported by Big Media.

Not all of us believe everything that government tells us, and this site has shown repeatedly that we are right not to trust governments.

If you want to scoff at people, go right ahead but why you feel the need to do it just because people don't happen to agree with your version of reality is beyond me.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Yo, Budski, I didn't say what you "quoted" me as saying...that was the post after mine.

Oh Enigma77, where there is a Constitutional thread I'll throw my "reasoned" 2 cents in.

Since when does pointing out something rational based turn into being synonymous with being "content"?

I am concerned, but not with the situation so much as I am about how uninformed people are about how their own government works. You really have to stop grabbing partisan sound bytes and articles and then turn around and spew demagoguery. There actually might be people that read some of this threads and want some "truth" about the situation.

Now to be fair to you Enigma, you have no reason to believe I'm not some 16 year old kid talking about what I learned today in Civics class.
I am 41 and a 2nd year law student...I quit my State job because I was "not content" with our situation. Now that doesn't make me any expert on the Constitution but I better know something, or I am in serious trouble 3 weeks from now when I take my Con. Law II final exam.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

If you want to scoff at people, go right ahead but why you feel the need to do it just because people don't happen to agree with your version of reality is beyond me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
base your version on reality and you won't be "scoffed"
When someone says that the Constitution can be wiped out by any Act (Patriot 2) or whatever, well they deserve scoffing.
When someone says that marshal law replaces or we lose "all" of our Constitutional rights....well they maybe a scoffee...(hear Jeff Foxworthy when you read that.)
When they think the Justices are Bush's "cronies" well they maybe a scoffee... When someone thinks that "juries" play some role in "creating" or "interpreting" the law....well they maybe scofees. (Yes, there are 9 "jurors" that could be accused of "creating" and appellate courts certainly "interpret" every single time. But citizens that serve on juries are "fact finders".
......now I am just trying to be a little funny there as far as scoffing the scoffee's....because being wrong about the law isn't a big deal.....but when you start that demogoguery based on pure science fiction....well then just call me a big fat scoffer.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

SCOTUS can only render opinion on precedented law.Any change in constitutional law has to be done by the House and Senate. The courts are not imune to review the legislative branch can impeach a jurist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join