It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Now we have the technology that can make a cloned child'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

'Now we have the technology that can make a cloned child'

www.independent.co.uk

A new form of cloning has been developed that is easier to carry out than the technique used to create Dolly the sheep, raising fears that it may one day be used on human embryos to produce "designer" babies.

Scientists who used the procedure to create baby mice from the skin cells of adult animals have found it to be far more efficient than the Dolly technique, with fewer side effects, which makes it more acceptable for human use.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
We have created human-animal embryos already, say British team
World faces choice on human cloning: U.N. study
UK scientists win human cloning licence
NEWS: Bush Blocks UN Ban on Cloning Human Beings

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
This article talks about how we will soon be capable of cloning humans, but only successful mice cloning has been done so far.

Human cloning, isn't that something? I'm no fan of cloning animals or humans. We will soon be genetically engineering these clones to be super soldiers and I'm sure much much worse. The potential for abuse is great.

The Sixth Day starting Arnold Swarzenneger had a scene where you could pick up a clone of your pet that passed away. Are we going to be seeing that with humans now?

Say your son dies and you have the chance to bring him back. I can foresee many people doing this.

We have one life to live (that can be debated, but we have one life at this time period anyway) and the beauty of life is that we are mortal. To take away our mortality would make life meaningless. We could simply clone ourselves and come back hundreds of times until the end of the world. Genetic disorders could be engineered out and we'd have "perfect" humans. However, our ability to adapt and evolve would probably be engineered out so we'd all eventually become sick with new diseases and infections that we weren't able to foresee in the past (and would be much much worse).

The mice were made by inserting skin cells of an adult animal into early embryos produced by in-vitro fertilisation (IVF). Some of the resulting offspring were partial clones but some were full clones – just like Dolly.

Unlike the Dolly technique, however, the procedure is so simple and efficient that it has raised fears that it will be seized on by IVF doctors to help infertile couples who are eager to have their own biological children.

We'll be able to have exact clones of infertile people thanks to the advancement of science. Take some adult skin cells, place them in an embryo, and out pops a new child. There is going to be some major genetic deficiencies in these children unfortunately. I'd like to see more natural methods of child birth being forwarded instead of shaky moral science.

One scientist said this weekend that a maverick attempt to perform the technique on humans is now too real to ignore. "It's unethical and unsafe, but someone may be doing it today," said Robert Lanza, chief scientific officer of American biotechnology company Advanced Cell Technology.

"Cloning isn't here now, but with this new technique we have the technology that can actually produce a child. If this was applied to humans it would be enormously important and troublesome," said Dr Lanza, whose company has pioneered developments in stem cells and cell reprogramming.

I agree. There would certainly be benefits, but there would also be many problems involved.

Are we willing to set a precedent in legalized cloning?

"It raises the same issues as reproductive cloning and although the technology for reproductive cloning in humans doesn't exist, with this breakthrough we now have a working technology whereby anyone, young or old, fertile or infertile, straight or gay can pass on their genes to a child by using just a few skin cells," he said.

Skin cell cloning...The future of mankind?

Here is a picture from the article to help readers understand the process a little easier:

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Why is it that I get the feeling that we're going to be seeing a lot of the following in the next 20 years??

Is it just me, or does this seem like the next logical step?

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Stars and flags all around

But, this just makes me sick. I've been under the suspicion it has been done already... like "Invasion of the body Snatchers" -- and the entire House and Senate have been replaced. I mean, seriously, weren't they supposed to take care of ousting all those criminals for us and get US out of Iraq? So... my conclusion... they are already cloned... or they are just as guilty themselves.

top topics

join