It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Bank urges action on food prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

World Bank urges action on food prices

money.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The president of the World Bank on Sunday urged immediate action to deal with rapidly rising food prices that have caused hunger and deadly violence in several countries.

Robert Zoellick said the international community has "to put our money where our mouth is" and act now to help hungry people. "It is as stark as that."

He called on governments to rapidly carry out commitments to provide the U.N. World Food Program with $500 million in emergency aid it needs by May 1.

"It is critical that governments confirm their commitments as soon as possible and others begin to commit," Zoellick said. Prices have only risen further since the WFP issued that appeal, so it is urgent that governments step up."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I find this interesting because the whole food crisis feels engineered to me. It seems like a crafty way of "thinning the herd". Especially since it isn't a problem with the supply of food so much as a problem with the poor people / nations being able to afford the food.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I have always wondered why we dont go ahead and build rail and pipe systems to transport goods and sevices to help the countries build navigation and open them for agriculture.
I mean that the world is 90+% water, why not open up a pipeline of sorts from oceans and areas of flooding and stop wasting trillions of dollars on rice and middle men? Give them work, help them to be self sufficent, a one time investment and jobs creation. This would lead to the need for education, building, and create stable economic bases in the starving nations and subpoverty strickened third world countries.

People that have the money and or resources to do this, don't ... they will instead spend the rest of their lives simply applying bandaids to gangrene.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Because the countries that are capable of doing what you are suggesting are currently exploiting the current system. If they were to implement such a plan, it would eliminate a lot of the power of the food producers / exporters. You hold a lot of power when you control the flow of food.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I find this interesting because the whole food crisis feels engineered to me. It seems like a crafty way of "thinning the herd". Especially since it isn't a problem with the supply of food so much as a problem with the poor people / nations being able to afford the food.

Agreed. But I think the supply is actually in a bit of jeopardy. And I never see anything in MSM about these 'food' stories at all (though, I don't watch much anymore). It's really got potential to catch some people off gaurd, very quickly.

top topics

join