It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to leave ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
OK, time to say that I have almost have enough of this website. There is to much claims of ignorance and not enough denying ignorance, and in some case it should be denying idiots.

Thats my reason for being on the edge at the moment

Who else here is considering leaving ATS for good or has considered that in the past and for what reason?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Well I am. I understand things change, this is fact. This site IMO has changed a lot in the short 7 months of my membership. For the better, perhaps but the way I see it the changes have in fact hurt this site. I've heard rumors of things to come and they make me wonder if it is time to say good bye. Sure they are only rumors but if people can beleive in some thing that are allowed to be posted on this site, then I guess they may not be that far fetched.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Don't do it. You'll miss out on all the best the REVOLUTION has to offer if you do. Rome wasn't built in a day.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Don't leave, we need you to help deny ignorance. Don't let the idiots get to you.

I have taken a few weeks off in the past just to clear my mind.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is classic ATS burnout. I get this sometimes. You just have to unplug for a while. Let yourself reset and get back in there. It's ok. This site as long as I have been here goes through waves of ignorance and idiocy then waves of pure genious. People sometimes get lost along the way.

When you feel like something is going to make you snap then leave it allone and go do something else for a while. When you return with a fresh outlook on the situation you can once again muddle through the garbage and pick out the random gem that is hidden in the mess.

So my advice is to take some time off and reflect on what is at your core values in these matters. Relax, and clear your mind. When you come back you can bring much more to the table.

eh only what I think.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Aw, Ozzie. I am sorry you feel this way but this is a good thread where we can all vent our frustrations. Although you and I differ in our beliefs, you have got to be one of the most sweetest and respectful members here. You and I typically do not hang out in the same threads but it is always a joy to see a comment by Ozzie when our paths do cross.

Yes, I am a bit burned out- see my mini-profile mood! Haven't been posting as much as I typically do. What we probably need to do is just take a breather and find some balance.

But hang in there, ok? You are an awesome and fun guy. Sometimes I even log out and browse as a guest just to avoid U2U's, drama, and to keep me from blowing up in a thread. Go outside, take a walk, stay away for a few days, decrease your time on here. BUT... don't leave for good.

As Whatukno said, it is 'classic ATS burnout.' We all get it and you probably have it worse than me since you have been here a while.

[edit on 4/14/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Just try and leave,they've been lacing your keyboard with crack for a long time buddy. You can't leave,nobody can *sits in a dark room laughing to ones self*

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I limit my ATS usage to once a week at most now... and the rash cleared right up!

But seriously, I got sick of following arguments and being baited into off-topic convos. I find that personal reflection is just as useful to me, and reading everyone's opinions on something is less useful than I once thought.

May I never venture that far away from solipsism ever again.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
whoopsie! :shk:

[edit on 14-4-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
OMG we should like all leave ATS! I don't know If i can handle all this freedom of speech and differentiating opinions!

I mean, why do we even have freedom of speech, it's so annoying! I know, we should all move to China where the internet is censored!

Then we can all live in a boring world where everyone is like robots!

Wow you are so cool OP!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

Perfectly illustrating a reason why some would get tired of this site.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Glad I could be of service to you fine individuals!

Now shooo, leave if you're gonna do it.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i've thought about it before but...then i decided not to.

i was gonna leave because i didn't (and still don't) like the i've got 89430584390 580934859034u859034u503u509u50 ats points and a weak ass way above award so therefore you should respect me vibe.

i also didn't like how certain folks would act whenever i would post about particular topics. it always seemed as if they were thinking "uh yeah sureeee". more than likely because they couldn't even fathom the idea of somebody who's done what i've done, seen what i've seen etc posting on a site like this.

i tend to stay away from the usual ats topics, and post in the more fun bts topics. because the topics over at ats have been done to death...and i've said it before, said it again, and will keep saying it...

WE CAN'T DO A DAMN THING ABOUT THE FOLLOWING: greys, demons, ufos, aliens, shapeshiftig reptillains, satan, god etc other than speculate. don't get me wrong i'll still read about it all and make a comment here and there..but i'm not gonna form some theory as to why, how, or where any of the
happend.

[edit on 14-4-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordInfamous

i was gonna leave because i didn't (and still don't) like the i've got 89430584390 580934859034u859034u503u509u50 ats points and a weak ass way above award so therefore you should respect me vibe.

Oh yes, me too.

....more than likely because they couldn't even fathom the idea of somebody who's done what i've done, seen what i've seen etc posting on a site like this.

And again.

I sometimes get frustrated with some of the topic restrictions and some of the bannings but it is what it is.
We all knew the T&C when we signed up and I try my best to stick to them.

When I first signed up it seemed as if there was a large number of 9/11 theads; now it's the turn of religious threads, swings and roundabouts.
Reptiles really do my box in though!

What utter bollocks

As for not posting again, thought about it a couple of times but when I get bored / frustrated / annoyed with ATS I just tend to read threads and resist posting.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My advice, is visit a section that you normally don't visit.
If you go to a place where you have no emotional investment, you can stay and chill out for a while. Who knows, maybe you will discover a new pov, or a new friend.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

Yeah, we got it the first time, thanks.

If we're bothering you....ya' know....take your own advice maybe?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Hiyah OZ,

I don't know ya, just have chuckled at your posts....

You too Mr. Penny you crack me up as well...

We need people on this site like you Oz....don't leave...if people like you and the others on here who have been here long enough to have the aforementioned ATS burnout leave...

Us newb's will be stuck with the likes of HumbleOne here

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I left a while ago and came back but a recent [imo preventable] bad experience may make it more permanent.. it's tainted the place for me forever. ATS has not changed for the better imo. I miss how 'intellgent' it used to be but I look at my friends list and half of them have been banned even though most of them were very civil and respectful posters.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by riley]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
All I have to say, is that ATS has become very large over the past 4 years. With the increase in posters, garners those living in ignorance. I know it's tough and tedious to read all the stuff thats posted, but keep an open mind.

I would hate to see you guys leave over some people being ignorant, but what is the saying here? "Deny Ignorance". Let me tell you, there are a lot of ignorant people living on this dirt ball that's floating in space, but we need to help them understand what we're all about. Sure theres plenty of people that think their opinions are the correct ones and think they're fact, but these people are really the ones who need to go out and research, "Deny ignorance" if you will. How ever I've seen people bring up the facts, only to be ignored. Denying ignorance is not just a fad, it's a mind set.

Take it easy guys, please don't let all of this deter you from visiting this site, I consider most of you family, and would hate to see you leave.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
OK, time to say that I have almost have enough of this website. There is to much claims of ignorance and not enough denying ignorance, and in some case it should be denying idiots.

Sorry to see that you're thinking this way. Unfortunately, the point at which you've arrived is the "nature of the beast" in these types of fine-focus online communities. Consider the evolution of the average long-term member...

1) Astonishment: The first thing most people feel upon their first few visits is overwhelming astonishment at the depth and breadth of content on ATS. There's an overwhelming number of pages of content (nearly 2 million unique pages), much of which the newcomer has never before seen or heard of. And on top of that, thousands of new ideas appear each day.

2) Intimidation: It can be very rough on those newcomers who create an account and attempt to jump into the fray by creating threads and responding to threads. For some it may come easy, for others the level of conversation and required decorum may involve a difficult adjustment.

3) Comfort Level: For those who get past #2 and begin to post material that gets noticed, eventually a comfort-level sinks in and ATS becomes a daily routine. Friends are made and the member finds their main areas of topic interest.

4) Community Spirit: As experience develops and more online acquaintances are solidified on ATS, a sense of community spirit sinks in. A strong desire develops to help with "community watch" and alert staff to inappropriate activity as well as lend a helping hand to new members.

5) Burn Out: As time goes on, many members experience some degree of burn out. Most times it comes from developing a familiarity with the subject matter and a feeling that nothing new is being posted. Sometimes the burn out may be inspired by what is seen to be an increasing level of disagreements or bickering. In reality (and every long-term member can confirm this), nothing has changed with ATS, the member has changed... the apparent level of intellectual growth that was inspired by participation in ATS has slowed or stopped because the member has absorbed all they can within their areas of interest.

6) Crossroads: After the burn-out sets in, a decision needs to be made. The majority of members who reach this point eventually take ROAD ONE and stop coming or significantly slow their participation. But an important minority realizes that they've taken as much as they can from participation with the members of ATS and the only way to continue to "deny ignorance" is to take ROAD TWO and begin focusing on giving back to the public brain-trust by working hard at creating new threads and ideas that push themselves up to and beyond their intellectual limits.

### BRICK WALL ### Of course, there's also many members that never advance through these steps and perhaps never even get to #3. We aspire to be different and ask our members to adopt our unique (for online) stance of common every day social graces. Some are unable to adjust, and a few display their frustrations with our decorum requirements in public "flame outs." We make no apologies, we're not for everyone nor will we ever try to be. We're designed for people who want to end up taking road two once they reach the crossroads... each time I see it happen, all our effort is worth it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join