It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Green and Amber flashing lights in the sky

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by leeza

I guess I should have also asked you the location of the the star on the horizon also; meaning is it high or low in the sky? Using Stellarium (download it it's free, it's great, and you'll never have to wonder again what that strange flashing star you see is) here is an image of the western sky in FLA around 8:30PM. Once you see the pic, click on it to enlarge it.
Florida Sky

Assuming you have an unobstructed view....I would start by finding Jupiter. It will be just south of southwest, roughly in the middle of the sky, and very bright. Jupiter will be the brightest "star" you see looking in that direction. From Jupiter, find the stars Vega, Antares, and Arcturus. Depending on your exact time and location in Florida you may even be able to see Venus. Venus would be extremely bright but would be really low, and close to the horizon.

Anyway...I would imagine your flashing star is one of these objects. Using the map, I think you will be able to figure out which one... Let us know what it is.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Boognish

That program is very cool, Thank you.
I downloaded it, it will take me awhile to get used to it.
I set the time date and location.

I think what I saw was Jupiter, but once I get used to that program
I should know for sure. I see it again tonight its really, really bright,
bigger then the rest of the stars, and looks spikey.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by leeza

You're welcome, I'm happy I could help. I stumbled across Stellarium several months ago after I kept noticing the same color changing/flashing star in the sky. It really bugged me not knowing what it was; I had to find out (it turned out to be Antares). I'm glad to see a lot of people here at ATS recommending it. It is a great skywatching tool.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I've also been seeing the twinkling light in the sky, just yesterday i had my last sighting.
I'm in the US, the thing is, I don't consider myself an astronomical expert, but I have had the luck of owning some telescopes in my life, stargazing is one of my favorite activities.
Last night the sky was covered in clouds, a clearing broke in the southeast portion of the sky, and thats were i saw it.

I'm sure I haven't seen anything like it before around 2:30 am, it was the only visible object in the sky, no other stars were seen, only that object.
I like to use Stellarium, and Sirius also came to mind, but it disappeared after a while, it didn't move a bit while I watched, and I had some great reference points...

Anyway, here is last nights sky in Stellarium, maybe it can shed some light on the subject, maybe what some are seeing are just stars, Rigel, Betelgeuse, and Sirius can sometimes deceive us.
I'm positive it wasn't Sirius...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The star that everyone is referring too is Sirius... I live in bloomington, IN (39°10'N 86°31'W) and at 1 am it is in the southeast sky at 129°45' 17°7'. It has an apparent magnitude of -1.47, making it the brightest star in the night sky. It is actually twice as bright as the second brightest star in the sky, Canopus. It is found in the constellation Canis Major which takes the shape of a dog. Really, Sirius is a binary star system, meaning there are two stars (Sirius A and Sirius B) which orbit each other. It also seems so bright because it is fairly close to us, only 8.6 light years. Sirius A, the larger of the two, is more than twice the size of our sun and 25 times brighter. Lastly, Sirius B used to be the larger of the two and actually became a red giant before collapsing into a white dwarf

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have been fixated on this red, green and white flashing star like object for more than 25 minutes, viewing it in the eastern sky from the low desert in southern California. Could it be part of the space station? But, then, as I have been searching it on line, I see that the account of this site has been taking place for well over 12 years all over the country. Hasn't anyone figured it out yet?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The blinking stars are not planets. Jupiter and Venus are steady white lights, they're not the ones this person is talking about.

Stars didn't used to do this.

For me, there's one that quickly changes color (red, green, white, blue) directly N NE. Low on the horizon, about 1-2 hand lengths up, arm extended. From NYC, it's straight up "over" Rhode Island, around early evening. I can't see if from my window at home, so I'm not sure where it is later in the night. But around 7 pm, it's just where I described.

THere are many many stars that are doing this. It's not the atmosphere either. If it was the atmosphere, the planets would be blinking as well, because we'd be seeing through our atmosphere at all the stars and planets.

It's really odd. Someone's gotta have good telescope that can take a succession of pictures of these things. I've seen blurry videos of these on YouTube, but that's the best I've seen.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by coney

Coney, do you think you might be talking about the star Capella? It should be about exactly where (and when) you describe. Capella is very bright (6th brightest star in the sky).

From Capella if you look a little lower and a little to the east you should also be able to see Aldebaran. Aldebaran is easy to find because it puts off an orange color. Pretty much directly above Aldebaran is the star cluster Pleiades (It's highlighted in the box in the picture). I call it the "tiny dipper" because well, that's what it looks like to me. A tiny version of the big dipper.

I strongly suspect you were probably referring to Capella in your post. Just thought I'd throw a couple of other things out there to look for in the same general area.

NYC Sky 7PM 11/17/2008

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It's not just bright, it flashes colors like crazy. I never remember stars doing this until about 5 years ago. There are many in the sky that are "disco stars", but the one "over Rhode Island" is an all out dance maniac star.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by coney

Coney, I was out checking out some stars last night...And after comparing Capella and Aldebaran, I think I may have told you the wrong thing. Capella doesn't really twinkle or flash very much. But Aldebaran sure does. So follow the link in my previous post and see if you can locate Aldebaran, and let us know if this is what you are seeing...Or if it's something else.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I live in southwest Louisiana and for the last couple of months I've been seeing the same thing that you are seeing. At first, I just saw one bright looking star that changes from white, red, and green. Now there are at least six of them. They seem to bounce around in the sky. I thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me at first but my neighbors see it too. You can really see the way the lights change colors through binoculars but I wish that I had a telescope. It's driving me crazy not knowing what this could be. Any ideas of who I could call to find out?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
i live in ohio and saw what i thought was a star that was shimmering different colors and i swore it moved a little. i thought i was going crazy and i even got my mom at 2a.m. to go outside and look at it. she thought it was strange but we couldn't figure out what was.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I have been watching the night sky for forty years, and I am something of a not-real-serious amateur astronomer. I never saw anything like this in all those years until a few weeks ago. I know enough astronomy to know these are not the astronomical objects some have suggested. Many descriptions posted here match mine. I see two which seem to orient themselves at due east and west. These two are often less "active" in terms of flashing. Two are high in the sky at roughly NW and NE, and are usually brighter. As many have said, they stay stationary for long periods - but appear to wobble or bob at times. I have, however, seen them change locations rather dramatically. I watched one (the higher NW one) make a fairly rapid descent to near the horizon one night. There was an aircraft passing through, and it was almost as if it moved to stay out of the plane's area. Tonight, I am seeing two more than usual (an earlier poster also said that they were seeing more). By the way, I live in north-central Arkansas. Again, they are not astronomical objects!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well i don't know if this is the same kind of lights but i got home just now around 1:50 A.M. looked out my back window and saw a series of amber, and green flash's much light lightning flashes. Though it is raining the thing that really threw me off was that during the whole sequence i could hear a hi frequency humming sound (I'm sensitive the high frequency so i hear it well). the lights and sound stopped at the exact same time. there was four flashes total it went Amber, Green, Amber, Green. in North NJ by the way

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I see those things every time I go out at night. They move with the stars, Ive never seen one change course. If I had a decent camera I could take a picture of one right now.

Ive looked at those things through my telescope and they look the same when I dont use the telescope. I think they are just stars, its either that or the aliens try to disguise themselves amongst the stars, controlling your every brain wave. Scary.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
i am one of three people to watch these lights all night last night....it sure as hell wasnt planets or airplanes.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
we live in ohio and have seen the red, white, and blue colors flashing in the sky also. but it looks like its moving upward. just gradually rising... it was about 8:00 when we first noticed it. And its now 8:45.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

hi there im in scotland dundee and i take the dog out every night and when its a clear night i see moven and flashing star look alikes but no its something strange coz stars dont move like that and there is alot more than 1 i thought at first i was seein things so i started walkin again then stopped looked and it was still there and a bit futher up the sky was a moving object or something if the sky is clear tonight i will be looking out 4 them again 2 see what happens then i will get back to u pzl let me no if u see anymore

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I see this a lot but have never given much thought to it assuming it was a star because i never saw it move. But now that I think about it all the times I have seen this it has never been in the same place twice or it is missing later in the night when its just as cloudless as the first time I saw it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join