It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coin Info Needed ( Jubileum Sv. Cyrila A Metoda + 863 - 1963 + )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Not sure if this is posted in the right section?

I found this coin along time ago and have not been able to find any info regrading its origin what it is for or anything for that matter.

I figured with all the brains on here someone must know what it is, or where its from.
Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seridium

That's a greek orthodox cross. It looks byzantine, possibly greek. I don't read the language on the coin.

I found this on a website talking about european history

Sv. Ciril in Metod, 863-1963

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'd naively say that it's possibly a special edition coin.

Several things to remark though:

• The slovaquian flag harbours the same cross (for many reasons):

Although Slovaquia was part in 1963 of the Czechoslovaquia, it is possible still that they issued a commemoration coin for some historical event linked to Slovaquia.
  • The writing on the coin is in latin alphabet. However, I've been unable to find any translation to that text: "JUBILEUM SV. CYAILA A METODA". Anyone here?
  • SV can be linked to slovaquia - although rather SK, but could be anything else too...
  • SV can also be linked to Slovenia, however that cross is not seen on the slovenian flag:

Interesting to note is that the mountains represented under the 3 stars are the same as those under the cross in the Slovaquian flag.

The link provided by biggie smalls speaks of course of Slovaquia & Slovenia. See the 'Cultural Background' and indeed that reference mentioning 863-1963.

I think research could be oriented towards Slovenian & Slovaquian recent history, and maybe a translation of that text on the coin would be useful too, but I know no translator for those languages...

If I find anything more for you, I'll post.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seridium

Judging by the shape of the cross AND the language, it's definitely, without a doubt, "Czechoslovakian".
(Note that the Czech and the Slovak languages are NOT one and the same, and so it's inaccurate to use the term "Czechoslovakian". But at the time - 1963 - the country was, of course, still Czechoslovakia. And, unless I am very much mistaken, the Czech language had "official" precedence over Slovakian. As for Slovenia, it's not even in the neighbourhood... but it's a fair mistake.
)

The inscription means - duh!
- "Jubilee of St. Cyril and Methodius". (According to tradition, they brought Christianity to many of the Slav tribes. This was - you guessed it - in 863. Hence the "jubilee" part.)

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Looks like you have it Vanitas
Are you Slovak by any chance?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.
This coin has been laying around my house for years.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

No, I am not, I am sorry to say.

top topics

join