It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court to Consider Death Penalty For Child Rape

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Really? Do you know of some pedophiles that aren't?

Yes. A man with two daughters in fact, for example.

EDIT to add:

Do you know more pedophiles then me?

Probably not, but you should know better than anyone that pedophiles are not necessarily rapists. The same as there are homosexuals who never act on their desires and lead a heterosexual lifestyle with family and all. There are also people who have a sexual desire for everyone they meet, but obviously they don't go attacking everyone they meet. Just because all of your clients were offenders does not mean there are not those out there who are able to manage their situation.

The lack of some level of tolerance leads pedophiles to go deeper underground instead of seeking help to prevent them from offending.

If they do offend, I have little mercy for them. But I still don't agree they should be executed for a multitude of reasons.

Most civilized people are able to control their urges in a manner that conforms with social standards, and pedophiles should be able to as well.

[edit on 4/15/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Personly, coming from my "limited" experience. I really don't think most child molesters will ever be rehabilitated. Most deny what they did, or rationalize it like "they wanted it." And think non child lovers are abnormal, not them. They form a prison mind-set of us vrs the world. And freely admit once they out on the streets they will commit another crime.

Sometimes though, They realize what they did, And either go into a deep depression, or commit suicide. Depending on the individual psych, and their own individual "value of life".

Chemical or physical castration will not stop their "mindset". Neither will estrogen therapy. Biofeedback, positive reinforcement or any other psychological training. They are what they are. And unless you can go back to some preadolescent stage of development, and retrain their obsession with another natural route of sexual expression. I don't think there will ever be a "cure".

Lobotomy or some other future type of tech, that is able to delete and reprogram the mind. Might show progress, but then you get into the ethical delima. On whether Society has the right to determine individual worth in life, and the consequences of Societal actions trumping individual liberty.

As for being a "inmate lover", I am not. And after years of dealing with sexual offenders, I believe they should be quarantined from society. Until some future "cure" might be found.

As to the we might incarcerate innocent civilians. Yes, In every society of every age there will "innocent" offenders. But how are we to tell, when 97% claim thier innocent to a degree, and Have no self guilt. And without a emotional response, No lie detector test will reveal if they are guilty or not.

In summery, I don't think there is no "easy" answer and no easy cure. And I think offender should be incarcerated\quarantined from society until a "mental cure" can be found for this dreadful mental illness.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
From the CNN Article on this topic:

The constitutional question before the justices is whether the death penalty for violent crimes other than homicide constitutes "cruel and unusual" punishment.

Are you kidding me? This should be a no-brainer....

According to article 3 of the United States Constitution:

"...The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason..."

Traditionally the punishment for treason has been the death penalty. The Constitution does not specify that someone must have been killed or injured before that penalty may be applied.

So, we have precedent for executing non-murderers.

The question then turns to "Is executing a child-rapist cruel and unusual punishment?"

If I were on the SCOTUS, my answer would be that it is no more cruel or unusual than the injury inflicted on the victim by the perp. Death penalty affirmed, here is your bullet!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

I don't agree with the death penalty for treason either. But for a different reason. I sure wish Tim McVeigh was still alive today to answer some questions.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
pedophille with 2 daughters????? Really???
Not one State in our Country would allow him to raise them....Not one.

Put it this way....yes there are "pedophilles" that have the capacity to not offend....BUT!!! If you "know" they are a pedophile....then you know they have offended.

Sorry, you can try and convince someone else about this but my day in and day out experience with them for 10 years isn't going to be swayed by something so contrary to anything I have ever seen or heard of.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Not one State in our Country would allow him to raise them....Not one.

It's not up to the state. This man has comitted no crime. Why shouldn't he have been allowed to raise his daughters?

Put it this way....yes there are "pedophilles" that have the capacity to not offend....BUT!!! If you "know" they are a pedophile....then you know they have offended. Sorry, you can try and convince someone else about this but my day in and day out experience with them for 10 years isn't going to be swayed by something so contrary to anything I have ever seen or heard of.

Sorry, but my BS meter is going off now. You claim to have worked with pedophiles for years in a professional capacity, yet you seem not to realize that pedophilia is not a crime. You make no distinction between the two. What exactly was your profession?

Not to mention what I have already explained. You were surrounded by criminals who happened to be pedophiles. Of course you were not going to see people who were not criminals. Why would you see pedophiles who had not offended if you were working in an institution?

It is completely illogical to assume that the only way I might know that someone was a pedophile is if they had offended. I know more than one pedophile who has never offended. I also know a few that have, but that is not my point here.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Sorry, but my BS meter is going off now. You claim to have worked with pedophiles for years in a professional capacity, yet you seem not to realize that pedophilia is not a crime. You make no distinction between the two. What exactly was your profession?

I have even seen police refer to child molestors on the news as 'pedophiles' rather than child molestors. I'm not sure why they don't use the correct terminology.. maybe the word pedophile is seen as less graphic and more TV friendly [especially at a at a dinner-time time slot].

[edit on 16-4-2008 by riley]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

This is true, but in the context of my response above, the member should have seen the clear distinction I was making if that member were indeed some sort of professional invloved in the "treatment" of these offenders.

It is one thing to be ignorant of the proper terminology or the facts, it is quite another to be cognizant of them and still perpetuate a damaging untruth. Especially for someone who claims to have worked in the field.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
well, I just found this thread and havent read all of it but I immediately thought of the Fundamentalous Latter Day Saints that have been in the news of late. All of those disgusting old men impregnating young girls in the name of religion. I agree that we shouldnt let the government get too powerful and start imposing the death penalty too lightly and death is probably too easy for those scumbags anyway. Instead put them in prison with some 250 pound 20 year olds with serious anger issues. Give them a taste of their own medicine, so to speak.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well, I hope that the Supreme court, with it's Catholic majority, bear this in mind when they think about the Catholic Church's cover-up of child molestation. I would like to see those responsible punished.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
Well, I hope that the Supreme court, with it's Catholic majority, bear this in mind when they think about the Catholic Church's cover-up of child molestation. I would like to see those responsible punished.

Well said. Its been said there is a legal system but no justice system. The Catholic coverup would certainly bring to light the scum of our society. However as you've stated the heavily weighed Supreme Kangaroo Court will never let those people serve their crimes. I say give every child rapist 10 years in the electric chair. We as a society need to grow a pair and start "eliminating" these problems once and for all.

brill

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join