It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung HDTV died...any trouble shooters out there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Today i sit redneck style, with my 32" flat screen tv on the floor, and my 10" tv where the nice new one used to be.

One day last week i pushed "on" and i only got half an image and within a fraction of a second...poof...it went off.

We have tried to reset it many ways and to no avail. The picture will not stay on.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? This is a tough one because my brother bought it in Phoenix, then Phoenix called Best Buy at the Cape Cod Mall, and it is my understanding THEY sent it to me.
Apparently, he did not get extended warranty (fom the store), its been over 90 days and i am stuck. The only thing i can do is deal with the manufacturer.
We all know that means i wont have my tv for at least a year.

The betteries on the remote are fresh- just so there's no question about that!

TV repairmen of the world, please help me!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Model number please, my dear!
In the meantime I'll see what I can dig up..

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Space,

Thank you and this is what it says on the manual:

TX-T2791H
TX-T2793H
TX-T3091WH
TX-T3093WH

Samsung

Thank you so much for your help, Space.

DG

[edit on 14-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
OK DG, a couple more questions.

YOu say the picture won't stay on..Does that mean it still comes on for a second, then goes out again? Does it behave that way every time?

And also, about the sound..Do you still have audio, when the picture goes off?
Or does the whole TV just shut down?

Are you using the remote only, to turn it on?
Or do you have the same symptoms when you turn it on AT the TV?

I'll check in later for your responses..

Space..

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

do the smart thing and go to the store you bought it from
if its still under warrenty it would be fixed within a short period ?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by dgtempe

do the smart thing and go to the store you bought it from
if its still under warrenty it would be fixed within a short period ?
It was a gift from my brother and he did not buy the store's XTENDED WARRANTY which means since the 90 days are up, i have to take it to the manufacturer!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Space,

Ok. We have tried both ways, turning it on with the remote and by hand.
When i hit on, i get like a concave ) ( picture like this for a split second with sound and all, then i hear it click off.

Its brand new, watched it January, February, March then it died! I am extremely careful with it and never leave it on...its almost as if it burned out or something terrible.

Thanks, Space, we appreciate it very much!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have one question.

Do you have it plugged into a power bar or directly to a wall outlet ?

If you have it connected to a power bar or surge suppressor it may not be getting the juice required to draw the electrical current it needs. You don't want a TV like this hooked up to an octopus of other stuff drawing from the same circuit.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Its plugged into the wall itself.

It was there and working until it bit the dust.

By the way, i have the small tv plugged in the same jack and a lamp and all is well there!

Thanks just the same.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
DG.

AD is onto something there.
Sometimes a power strip or cord develops resistance to the flow of power.

This TV is a Glass Tube Television, so it has a VERY high voltage power supply for the screen.

Imagine your TV is trying to suck electricity through a straw.
If that straw gets a little clogged, the TV has to suck harder to get the same amount of power. The TV can only suck so hard, then a circuit will blow in the power supply. In this case, the circuit has breaker on it, instead of a fuse.
Having a circuit breaker is what allows you to keep blowing that same circuit over and over again.
It could be something as simple as the TV's power cord having resistance.
Try disconnecting it From the TV (if you can do that), and reconnecting it.
Do this a few times. Sounds silly, but it's a simple way to clean the connections.

See if it stays on now. It if shuts down again, if it does, it still might stay on a little longer before the circuit shuts down.

I say all this, because I had a TV that did this. All I had to do was replace the stupid power cord!!!

Now it could still be a problem with power supply itself. Unless you have a way to test that. You'll probably have to call to get it serviced.

Any other weirdness you can describe? Every little symptom is a clue!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Just a suggestion............

Inspect the power cord for damage, even the slightest nick can oxidize the metal underneath and cause resistance. Did the cat chew on it ?

Clean all your electrical contacts before you proceed and slightly bend the plug in connectors inward for better contact with the outlet.

Buff the end of the cord that you plug into the wall with a very fine grit sand paper, do the same with the back end of the cord where it plugs to the TV itself. These usually pull out with little effort and expose two round elongated brass contacts. Give them a little rub with the same grit paper.(very fine)
Roll it tight and slide it in and out of the female contact points.

Exclude all other devices that draw from that receptacle and try again.

It really sounds like an insufficient power supply to me.
The electrical outlet on a kitchen stove is independent of all other plugs in your home and is a good place to test stuff like this.

[edit on 15/4/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Gosh, I hope we didn't get her electrocuted!

DG?

It's been a while, TV working? Catching up on your soaps?

Talk to us..

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I am in no way an expert on flat screens!!

But an agency I used to work for sent me to a laptop repair place to be a run around so they could clear a backlog - turns out I was more sensible than some of the regulars.. I was given a workspace and told to get on with it!

Any who - a lot of the time a machine would start up but the screen was problematic.. You could tell it was not the actual LCD, and if the VGA cable or card side of things was ruled out you could pretty much guarantee it was a little thing called the inverter board ..

If that is the case for you then you are in luck!! - It is just about the easiest and cheapest internal component to replace.. Just google your make/model to find a spare...

Don't just take my word for it though - like I said I'm NO expert!! - and it's so hard to be specific when you cant get your hands on the actual unit.

edit.. U2U me if you like.. I should be able to messenger so of them wot I worked with... so long as I can remember what login I was using back then - this has reminded me I need to catch up with em any way

[edit on 15/4/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Not electrocuted. I'm here

Ok, i have plugged and unplugged many times over the past two days.
Do you think plugging it in another outlet might help? I have to wait till the husband gets home then we are going to plug it just a few feet away in another living room jack.

Its worth a shot and it makes perfect sense and you are all wonderful!!!

I'll post after 5pm ET and let you all know what happens!

I cant thank all of you enough!

Love, dg

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
DG,

Let us know what happens! I'm in the market for an HDTV and have been shopping around. We've considered a Samsung, but if yours died after only a few months, I think we'll steer clear of that model.

BTW, anyone got a good online retailer? I live in Iowa but I'm considering getting one from an outfit out of Montana named Vann's. No sales tax, free shipping, and decent prices. George Bush's tax rebate will pay for it!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Still here- and still waiting for the husband
to move it back up and plug it on another jack which is close to the tv so i dont have to move it.

My brother bought it for me because he has the same thing and so does his business partner and they both have had great luck with it!!! Now then, i do hope its something minor like that. Thanks for the tip. I'll be gone for most of the week on a baby sitting mission but i am hoping when son #1 comes to get me tonight we can get his help and move the darn thing.

I'm aggravated to say the least! :bnghd:

But i will keep you informed. Thanks everyone again.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
update: tv was plugged into other outlet and it is still shutting off.

I've already placed a call to the nearest Samsung authorized dealer.

I'm afraid i have a lemon here.

Again, thanks to all of you who helped me with the troubleshooting.

I guess when life deals you lemons you make lemon juice.:shk::shk:

By the way, there's a whole page when you google trouble with samsung tvs of people complaining their tvs shut off and wont work again.

Stay away from this brand. Please!!!!!:bnghd:

[edit on 19-4-2008 by dgtempe]

[edit on 19-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Stay away from this brand. Please!!!!!:bnghd:

Whoah!!

Heavy statement

I once worked for a computing company - and a mobile phone company - and several water boards.. a couple of fast food outlets, some hotels.....

I think you should all stay away from any firm that has fired me
:shk:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Samsung is one of the best companies
only thing that sucks about my 40 is it switches off if im not using anything
(about to change source and i forget to switch the other thing on)

lesson always keep a reciept and do what i do always get insurance

new topics

top topics

join