It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Price inceases might cause starvation Strauss-Khan predicts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

www.bloomberg.com...

By Christopher Swann

April 12 (Bloomberg) -- Further gains in food prices would be ``terrible'' for the world's poor and throw hundreds of thousands of them into starvation, International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn said.

Governments throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East are seeking to combat food inflation and avoid social unrest by curbing exports or lifting import duties on basic food staples such as rice. Global food prices surged 57 percent last month from a year earlier, according to the United Nations, and the World Bank warns civil disturbances may be triggered in 33 countries.

If food inflation keeps accelerating at its current rate ``the consequences will be terrible,'' Strauss-Kahn told reporters at the IMF's semi-annual meeting in Washington today. ``Hundreds of thousands of people will be starving, leading to a disruption in the economic environment.''
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-4-2008 by grover]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
There have been several articles in both the broadcast and printed news lately and it could be getting much worse. I am on a set income and I have seen my food costs go up considerably... What $70 bought a few months ago now costs around $120 and God help those who don't have the meager income that I do.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I did alot of shopping yesterday and saw that cooking oil had gone up from $1.89 a bottle to $4 a bottle in 2 weeks. I couldnt believe it. Meat has gone up. I noticed that ground beef was $6.90 a pound at the local grocery store. Normally it would be around $3.20 a pound. I however have made sure over the past 6 months to have plenty of Pastas put away and can goods, just in case.

The problem that I was seeing yesterday was that most things have more then doubled in price. Even a can of beens had doubled. Thank God, I happen to have about 5 pounds of dry beans.

As for the folks whom were already having troubles with bills, now it will be far worse. I feel sorry for them. I hate what is happening but we are not complaining to the government are we?

Hilda

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If we did complain to THIS government all bush minor would do is to give some mealymouthed platitude about how they were working on it, and then do nothing.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I actually have to wonder though if maybe the government is doing this to get rid of the poor folks?? Do you suppose? I wouldnt put much past our government. They already run our lives enough but if they can make it so that the poor die from starvation then maybe they just will, that way just the rich will survive.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This could be part (see below links) of the issue with a recent spike in prices... not to mention world-wide issues.

www.wsav.com...
Did Trucker Protest Work?
“Because we wanted the attention ultimately of the legislators - you know federal, state, and local legislature - to know hey we got a problem here and we need somebody to look into it” points out Liverman.
Already Keith says some area lawmakers have contacted him, stating their support and promising their help.

And I could swear I saw somewhere that they may be planning a more nationwide thing coming May 1 and to include some larger companies as well as O/O's. , but I cannot locate that at this point. They definitely messed things up on the highway in PA/NJ area and into Harrisburg, I believe, but here is one source from that day
cbs3.com...

Here's another part...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=348385

[edit on 4/13/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

No not really... food riots are a sure fired way to bring a government down... better to send the poor off to fight and die on some lost cause while convincing them it is the patriotic thing to do.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
If we did complain to THIS government all bush minor would do is to give some mealymouthed platitude about how they were working on it, and then do nothing.

Considering how they're supposedly going to f'ck off out of office this year, they probably feel like they can get away with it.

Those dastardly dawgs.

edit; if you're lucky, they'll blame it on the chinese.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
With it now being spring alot of us can maybe plant a few tomatoes, peppers, cukes. Ect. That way when can at least eat something and save some of our hard earned cash for other things that we need like bills.

Truthfully the price of diesel is one reason why this is happening. The other reasons include last years draught, and fewer people to work in the fields. Many of the folks whom were picking have been sent back to Mexico which means less folks working in the fields. That means higher prices as well. And we can be expecting more higher prices from that this year since they have already said they will be worse this year on immigrant workers then last year.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

The protest worked in a few ways: some of the government representatives are actually returning calls to truckers who voice a complaint to them; diesel prices are steady, although any decrease since the protests were very minor; more people seem to be aware of the problem; and some brokers are actually giving in when they're told time after time that 'I can't haul it for that'.

But the truckers are not the problem. Neither are the brokers. The problem is the cost of fuel. We have reached a tipping point where the cost of transporting the fuel is also driving up fuel costs, which raise the cost of transporting the fuel, which raises fuel costs... and outside of the trucking industry, that ever-rising cost of fuel and transportation is being passed on to everything else. Throw in the mess with credit being so overly abundant/used, and the dollar is sliding away into oblivion. That in itself is raising fuel prices more, which is... oh, heck, see above explanation.

In short, the only way to alleviate this problem is to actually allow a major depression to take place. Allow the creditors to go into bankruptcy, the banking systems to close down, and the jobs to disappear. Things will come back, just as they did after the first great Depression. Make no mistake; this will come, eventually. But the longer it is staved off by silly government policies like sending everyone a check for a couple hundred bucks, which will have to be borrowed, probably from someone who actually has money (like, oh, say CHINA), the worse the coming depression will be.

Why would a government actually allow this to happen? Oh, I can think of a whole list of reasons, and I'm sure others here could turn that list into a library. If you want to discount the serious conspiracies, how about that they simply don't want to go into the history books as being the ones who allowed the second Great Depression? Or maybe they're silly enough to think they can actually fix the problem? OK, that last one was pretty weak...

Hilda has got it right: grow a garden. At least you can eat.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join