It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School Suspends Student for Answering Call in Class From Dad in Iraq

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraLord
Dope who signed up for war? I joined the Army, I leave in August. I did not sign for war, and I'm sure the majority of people who have enlisted in the last few years did not sign up for war. I enlisted to serve my country, to keep people who live in America free. I don't know how anyone on this forum can disrespect someone who is serving their country, knowing they might die. I might disagree with the war, however, that doesn't change the fact I'm still enlisting in the Army to serve mine and YOURS country. What are the odds of dieing doing a civilian job compared to that of being at war in Iraq?

"Industry and Occupation.—Of the 2,523 workers fatally injured in traffic-related motor vehicle crashes, 35% (880) worked in the transportation/communication/public utilities industry. Industry sectors with the highest number of work-related deaths from motor vehicles were establishments engaged in trucking service (689) and construction (332). Sectors with rates three or more times the overall rate of work-related deaths from motor vehicles are listed in Table 2. Trucking service establishments had a rate 17 times the average annual rate of motor vehicle fatalities for all workers.

Of the 2,523 fatally injured workers, 43% (1,091) were employed in transportation and material moving occupations. Truck drivers had the highest number of work-related deaths from motor vehicles (973). Occupations with rates four or more times the average annual rate of death (per 100,000 workers) from motor vehicles are listed in Table 3. Truck drivers had the highest rate, followed closely by garbage collectors. "

www.cdc.gov...

Allot higher than being in Iraq...

Just like you know the risk of your "job" so does my father. Why cant he call HIS grand children at work also?

[edit on 13-4-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm in the "a rule's a rule" crowd on this one. I understand that the guy is serving in Iraq and is probably isn't able to make calls whenever he wishes. However, his situation does not entitle him to disrespect the teacher and the other students in the room so that he can talk to his son. Cell phone calls during class disrupt the entire class and undermine the teacher's authority over his classroom.

The proper way to do this would've been for the soldier to call the office at the school and request to have his son removed from the classroom for a phone call.

What's shame about this thread is that what could be an interesting debate has come down to JediMiller repeatedly posting complete nonsense. I've read several of your posts that are either poorly researched or you're purposely lying to attempt to prove your point. I hope it's the first and not the second. You have let your hatred for the situation ovecome your reason and it shows. Did you really think that soldiers made $100k a year?? You should take the time to meet one of those that you seem to despise before you condemn them all.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
reply to post by Perplexed

You post has been reported . Your wants hopes and dreams of our family's deaths are not wanted/needed here . Please grow up and learn to use a little bit of tact.

[I would like to go off on you but i suppose i can do it to the next account you sign up with after your ban]

My position stands. His punishment was fair and could have been avoided .

I would rather be banned from ATS than to have to put up with you equating your father as a truck drive to someone in Iraq that can only make a call at certian times of the month to their son. Ban me, warn me, tell me I am a bad, bad person. I could care less...

Too bad your feelings are hurt... Go cry somewhere else. My post is spot on and I will reieterate it. I hope you follow the rules when your father calls, you don't take the call and then the worst happens to him. Be sure to come back and cry here. I will be waiting....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Its funny that you put the word job in quotation marks. What makes your job, or your father's job, any more of a job than mine? Because he is driving a truck around, with who knows what in it? Is my job less of a job because I might end up going to war, which you don't approve of? I respect anyone who goes out and has any type of job. Whether that job be a garbage man, or someone at war. A job is a job. Okay, a garbage man has a high death rate for a civilian job. I respect them for going out in society and trying to make a living. Why can't you and the others on this board respect someone who's job is to serve this country?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed

You post has been reported . Your wants hopes and dreams of our family's deaths are not wanted/needed here . Please grow up and learn to use a little bit of tact.

[I would like to go off on you but i suppose i can do it to the next account you sign up with after your ban]

I would rather be banned from ATS than to have to put up with you equating your father as a truck drive to someone in Iraq that can only make a call at certian times of the month to their son. Ban me, warn me, tell me I am a bad, bad person. I could care less...

Too bad your feelings are hurt... Go cry somewhere else. My post is spot on and I will reieterate it. I hope you follow the rules when your father calls, you don't take the call and then the worst happens to him. Be sure to come back and cry here. I will be waiting....

Lol whatever . A job is a job. a rule a rule. If you dont like it you know where the door is..

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
reply to post by palehorse23

This is DISGRACEFUL. What if, god forbid, that was the last time he could have spoken with his dad because he was KIA? How would that child be able to function knowing that?

My dads a truck driver. he could die on the road at any moment. Just like anyone else. How is he special? He VOLUNTEERED to put his life on the line . If anything i should get special treatment . My dad didn't sign up to die but may at any moment.

Is he a trucker that gets shot at on a daily basis?
Has any of his trucks been blown up by roadside bombs?
How many of his friends have been killed by sniper fire?
Unless he's a truck driver in Bagdad, it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

Schools have started living in a black and white world and it just doesn't work. Soldiers and families of soldiers are making incredible sacrifices and they should be given some flexibility on our parts-THAT IS THE LEAST WE CAN DO TO HELP THEM. Failing that, those school officials should pick up a weapon and stand at post or shut the hell up! It's easy to peddle their silly little myopic rules from their comfy, climate controlled offices. I'd like to see those jerks try doing their jobs from a foxhole or behind a pile of sandbags while bullets are flying around them.
Those school officials attitudes are exactly what is wrong with this country.

Again the word volunteer comes to mind. If they were drafted . I would be on the other side of the coin with all of you . Its just not the case here. We can all suddenly die .

Yes lets go ahead and pretend their sacrifices have no meaning and deserve no consideration because they had the BALLS to volunteer and fight to keep you and I free. Let's just go ahead and ignore those brave peoples pain and sacrifice and minimize it by claiming that driving a truck is as dangerous as driving a humvee through a warzone.

I honestly can't believe I need to point this out

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraLord

I don't care either way . You want special treatment . I want fair and equal treatment . That is the difference here . Not my beliefs or wants or cares.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Oh lord. They had a choice. I just want equality . If a soldiers kid can take calls then so can mine . If thats the new "rule" then fine. Don't ask for special treatment. Its volunteer work .

My fathers job is just as dangerous i have no pity for someone who signs up to kill people (even if its just "possible") .. So please look elsewhere for some.,

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

So your saying its ok for the "rich responsible" (private schooled) cause there only doing it for the "right reasons"..?
But what about the ones who are going to exploit this ? How do you regulate and differentiate?

It's a phone call in class. Do you really think that a drug dealing hoodlum would care if they were suspended or even expelled? Heck, they'd be doing what they do, and skipping class in the first place.

How do you exploit a phone call in class? He did not instigate the communication, to say, text message the person next to him for giggles. He was not playing mp3's with it.

It should never have been an issue once the call was verified as being from his father in Iraq.

I really fail to see how people can justify this.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I do not want special treatment. I want respect for what I do. That is not asking for special treatment? I want as much respect as any average person. People who disagree with the war take it out on the troops. It isn't an enlisted person's fault that they are going to war. They take the job knowing they might one day get shot at from someone who hates them. I know the kid should not be whining that he got suspended from school. I agree with you on that one. He should have accepted the fact that he would get in trouble. I just don't like the fact no one has respect for his dad.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by UltraLord]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

He should never have had the phone at all . Let alone have it ON ..

Thats the issue here. He dont want to play by the rules now he's crying victim ..

If you stick your hand in a fire are you surprised if you get burnt?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Based on the circumstances, those involved should have been more understanding and HUMAN. His punishments was absurd at best. He should been pulled out of class and spoken with about it but our soldiers and their families should get consideration from us as they don't from our government.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I do not want special treatment. I want respect for what I do. That is not asking for special treatment? I want as much respect as any average person. People who disagree with the war take it out on the troops. It isn't someone an enlisted person's fault that they are going to war. They take the job knowing they might one day get shot at from someone who hates them as much as the people in America who hate war. I know the kid should not be whining that he got suspended from school. I agree with you on that one. He should have accepted the fact that he would get in trouble. I just don't like the fact no one has respect for his dad.

Im sorry i just cant respect anyone who has/will might or could kill innocent people, kids or babies ect. Do you have allot of pen pals on death row?
Heck im sure allot of the people they killed "had it coming"

Should they get to call there kids at school ?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I appreciate your feelings on this subject and agree. You sound like a reasonable person so I implore you to not let those TROLL LIKE characters bait you into getting yourself banned. We need more people like yourself who understand how much our soldiers mean to us.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

The school went way over board in this situation. Let’s say your father is getting ready to drive through the Rockies and its snow covered but the load must get there. You know this because you know his route.

Now, you are at school, work or doing whatever it is you do. Your father calls but because there are rules you decide not to take the call. Your father drives over the mountain and dies a horrible death. That maks you a man? A rule follower at the expence of the love of a father and son? Ok, if that's who you are....

In any case, now put yourself in this kid’s situation. His dad has a greater chance of dyeing at any given moment even more so that your father. Would you want to be punished for speaking to your father for what could be the last time?

The public schools are a joke. They don't want to encourage the love of a father and son. They don't want normal families at all and this story proves it. Love of family and country are the last thing educators in this country want.

LOL all you want pal. You and people like you are the ones that are ruining this country with your silly rules.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I appreciate your feelings on this subject and agree. You sound like a reasonable person so I implore you to not let those TROLL LIKE characters bait you into getting yourself banned. We need more people like yourself who understand how much our soldiers mean to us.

Are you kidding me .?He called for the death of my family and father saying he would bask in the thought . You are friggin demented if you support this guys posts. Regardless of your stance here .

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I would take the call and the punishment in stride. Im not gonna go crying about it . There was a rule it got broke he got punished now he's playing the victim .

I wouldn't have had an issue with the punishment i was obviously not caring about when i hit the talk button.

"In any case, now put yourself in this kid’s situation. His dad has a greater chance of dyeing at any given moment even more so that your father. Would you want to be punished for speaking to your father for what could be the last time?
"

Every time i talk to ANYONE i understand it could be the last time.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Oh lord. They had a choice. I just want equality . If a soldiers kid can take calls then so can mine .

Man you're just not getting it.
They made their choice to help keep you and I safe. If it weren't for people like them, you and I wouldn't be here. Get it????? Since you're obviously not going to put yourself in harms way to protect your country, you could at least show some gratitude for those who do. They deserve a little extra consideration from us as they keep this entire country together.

If thats the new "rule" then fine. Don't ask for special treatment. Its volunteer work .

WOW.

My fathers job is just as dangerous i have no pity for someone who signs up to kill people (even if its just "possible") .. So please look elsewhere for some.,

What does your father do? Be specific so we know it really is just as dangerous.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I do not want special treatment. I want respect for what I do. That is not asking for special treatment? I want as much respect as any average person. People who disagree with the war take it out on the troops. It isn't someone an enlisted person's fault that they are going to war. They take the job knowing they might one day get shot at from someone who hates them as much as the people in America who hate war. I know the kid should not be whining that he got suspended from school. I agree with you on that one. He should have accepted the fact that he would get in trouble. I just don't like the fact no one has respect for his dad.

Im sorry i just cant respect anyone who has/will might or could kill innocent people, kids or babies ect. Do you have allot of pen pals on death row?
Heck im sure allot of the people they killed "had it coming"

Should they get to call there kids at school ?

Who says soldiers go around killing babies and kids? I'm quite sure if someone was shooting a gun at you, you wouldn't stand there accepting the fact they want to kill you. You would be fine with that? How about letting a foreign country come in and invade our country? Your fine with that? Let's not fight back, because we don't want to hurt anyone. What if your dad got into an accident while driving and killed someone? He took the job knowing it might happen. Lets not show him any respect. I'm done arguing with you. It is kind of funny that you don't have any respect for the soldiers. Whatever. Enjoy your life as a civilian, enjoying your freedoms because of soldiers who fought for YOU.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

reply to post by bloodcircle

He should never have had the phone at all . Let alone have it ON ..

Thats the issue here. He dont want to play by the rules now he's crying victim ..

If you stick your hand in a fire are you surprised if you get burnt?

Someone said it earlier, and it echoed my sentiment perfectly; if it was my father in Iraq, then I would care less about the school ignorant policies, HOWEVER, I would also accept the consequences.

So if it were me, the case would never have been news.

BUT, you would think that in this day and age, consideration would have been given to the kid for wanting to know his dad was ok.

It's the policy of NO TOLERANCE that is going to cause far more problems than it was ever intended to resolve.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join