It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seti @ Home Hit (!!!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberflunk
If you look at Ian's pic of the seti mapviewer, anyone can clearly see that the signal does not come from the blue zone. However, i must agree that it is very close to our milky way.

But the blue zone doesn't represent the only area included in the Milky Way, unless I still don't understand what you are saying. The area where the signal is apparently from is within our Milky Way galaxy.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What difference does it make? Obviously they have gone far beyond "rocket" technology or do you really think a cilivisation millions of years ahead of us still trys to traverse space using mere rockets.

OF COURSE NOT..

Originally posted by cyberflunk
I think i have bad news. The signal does not come from our milky way

imo there is almost no chance of a possible alien seti signal beyound our galaxy.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by atsguy_106
What difference does it make? Obviously they have gone far beyond "rocket" technology or do you really think a cilivisation millions of years ahead of us still trys to traverse space using mere rockets.

OF COURSE NOT..

I can't tell if that is a fake post, but if it's not, your logic is flawed. The civilization might not be millions of years ahead of us.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

fake post?

give me an address and ill send you everything ....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
We should not trash either possibility. Aliens could be as advanced as us, far beyond our technology, or in some sort of medieval age.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Anybody using seti@home if you give me a u2u i will send you the softwar so that you can log and map out your own signals from seti

Iam not hoaxing and the map key under the readme text states red means strong signal!

i would very much like to share experiances with other users and maybe the forum boss (springer could set up a dedicated section to us SETI users?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hey Ian, I want to be kept in the loop on this thing
If you take off to a different thread or somthing let
me know. Great thread and I will be eagerly waiting to here what happens next.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I can just see a coverup now...
"Oh, it was from an orbiting satellite"
"It was just a supernova"
etc.... something like that....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

thank you for you time...I don't think this will move to another thread.

Is there any other users of Seti @home who would like a dedicated drop zone for us to exchange information or is it possible that we could keep this thread alive and post here?

I have the software zipped for those who want it...

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
on my bionic manager it gives a name for each item that is being decoded....

im just wondering

if maybe the beginning of each peice of data is dated...for instance

the peice that i am currently decoding is

28mr08ab.31336.1299.9.8.118_0

does 28me08 stand for 28th march 2008?

if that is the case then the red signal is possibly from that date

i will have to double check the log....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Interesting.
This SETI thing is complicated.
Could someone pls explain me what and how should I do?

Sorry for off-topic.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ian990003100
fake post?

give me an address and ill send you everything ....

I wasn't replying to you.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
www.starstryder.com...

www.spectrashift.com...

www.astro.uiuc.edu...

www.centauri-dreams.org...

advancingphysics.iop.org...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.journals.uchicago.edu...

i have started to research the area from which i may have recieved tyhe signal (seti may have)

Maybe just maybe

Advanced civilisation anyone?

Disclosure anyone?

Maybe my computer has double checked an original decoding?

Please let this be...

Maybe just maybe we are on the verge of the big one

Disclaimer

We are probably not and this could be like some say disinformation
however positive mental atitiude...
im kinda hoping that we are on the verge of a big discovery...

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

apologies

i hope that i haven't offended

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
To those people claiming that SETI is just a sham and yet another piece of the cover-up - let me ask you something:

Why would they bother creating a SETI@home program then? Why would it ever return positive signals and get all you guys perked up and ready for contact when it's supposed to do the opposite? If the whole thing is some sort of giant red herring to lead you off the scent it sure has a funny way of going about it.

Personally I think SETI, if anything, is a waste of time because it puts too many eggs in the radio wave basket. Our own "intelligent" civilization has only been broadcasting radio waves for 100 years and already we are starting to scratch the surface of much more advanced forms of communication like quantum entanglement and teleportation.

It could be that SETI is doing the same thing as looking for evidence of civilizations that communicate through carrier pigeons.

Furthermore, if aliens really are already among us chances are they've figured out some sort of faster-than-light travel - so don't ya think they've done the same for how they communicate??

It'd be smarter to stick a friggin pigeon on a UFO rather than send out a radio signal and pay off SETI everytime they happen to intercept one!

I'm all for UFO's and even conspiracies to an extent - but it gets so boring seeing 500 people scream "COVER-UP!!!" every single time someone doesn't think the same way you do.

SETI has to put up those disclaimers about keeping quiet exactly because of people like that who jump to ridiculous conclusions at the drop of a hat. They need to disassociate themselves from you because they're actually trying to get people to take them seriously about ET life. The ironic thing is they're just as passionate as you are about finding proof of it
- so chill out!

*Note to the OP - just to clarify that statement was NOT meant for you as I know you are just sharing your information and not making any claims and I give you mad props for doing so

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
are we ready?

If this turned out to be a true signal are we ready as a civilisation?

I have been reading about were this signal (wether real or not only SETI know)

are we really ready?

personally i would like to share my logs and mapviwer with another seti@home user so that they can comfirm what i have...

this way all the pesimistic users of ATS will appreciate that this is not a hoax and this is not disinformation and that soon (if and when gov's allow) the govs will aknowledge we are not alon

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ian990003100

Looking up Tau Bootis on Wikipedia there's an interesting point about it:

Tau Bootis is the first star apart from the sun to be observed changing the polarity of its magnetic field

- On the glass half-empty side of things I wonder if that has anything to do with some sort of "natural" radio-pulse the star could emit, as the article also mentions it's listed as a suspected (pulsating) variable star, even though right after it says that it's not? weird.

- On the glass half-full side, it's pretty exciting that the only other comparison they have is our Sun, since that happens to be the only other place where we know life exists.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Hey I just installed the program and finished a project:

Look at my results:

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

Task ID 814440597
Name 27mr08an.21569.481.12.8.110_1
Workunit 251109790
Created 12 Apr 2008 17:43:13 UTC
Sent 13 Apr 2008 13:23:15 UTC
Received 13 Apr 2008 20:32:55 UTC
Server state Over
Outcome Success
Client state Done
Exit status 0 (0x0)
Computer ID 4304916
Report deadline 8 May 2008 0:27:01 UTC
CPU time 14884.984375
stderr out 5.10.45

setiathome_enhanced 5.27 DevC++/MinGW

Work Unit Info:
WU true angle range is : 0.382215
Optimal function choices:
-----------------------------------------------------
name
-----------------------------------------------------
v_BaseLineSmooth (no other)
v_vGetPowerSpectrumUnrolled 0.00043 0.00000
sse1_ChirpData_ak 0.01746 0.00000
v_vTranspose4x8ntw 0.00527 0.00000
BH SSE folding 0.00129 0.00000

Flopcounter: 22740247621180.535000

Spike count: 6
Pulse count: 0
Triplet count: 0
Gaussian count: 0

]]>

Validate state Valid
Claimed credit 75.0276686578293
Granted credit 75.0276686578293
application version 5.27

What does each one of those counts mean exactly?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared
Why would they bother creating a SETI@home program then?

It's not that SETI@home was created as some kind of a diversion. It's that the powers that be could easily co-opt their authority and control whatever information goes in and out.

The people working at SETI aren't working there to fool the public, but I certainly don't think they are able to fully circumvent any government meddling to silence or disrupt them.

SETI has to put up those disclaimers about keeping quiet exactly because of people like that who jump to ridiculous conclusions at the drop of a hat. They need to disassociate themselves from you because they're actually trying to get people to take them seriously about ET life. The ironic thing is they're just as passionate as you are about finding proof of it
- so chill out!

Keeping quiet doesn't disassociate themselves from people like us. It just hamstrings their efforts by fooling everyone into thinking that no progress is being made since NOTHING is ever released until it's a "sure thing."

It's also a lot more boring. If they were announcing possible signals once every few months, it sure would attract a lot more attention and excitement, and probably more funding.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Riposte]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

To those people claiming that SETI is just a sham and yet another piece of the cover-up - let me ask you something:

Why would they bother creating a SETI@home program then? Why would it ever return positive signals and get all you guys perked up and ready for contact when it's supposed to do the opposite? If the whole thing is some sort of giant red herring to lead you off the scent it sure has a funny way of going about it.

Any person that has done more than a few weeks of research already knows SETI=DISINFO. Period!

Don't take what I say as an insult rather take it as an invitation to learn something meaningful.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join