It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seti @ Home Hit (!!!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

Hiyah Skibtz,

I am not sure what you're talking about here? What posts exactly, I have read them all so far, and the only one I see is Riposte's post that states, with no evidence, that he/she wouldn't "trust" SETI or any government etc etc...

Which is his/her personal opinion of course and maybe a valid one.

But I beg to differ....

With over 5.2 million participants worldwide, the project is the distributed computing project with the most participants to date.

en.wikipedia.org...@home

Hard to put a muzzle on 5.2 million participants wouldn't you say?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Maybe I have misread EvilBat's post:

"I've had Spike 5 Pilse 5 Triple 5 and you won't know if you hit
they don't tell you , sorry to burst you bubble but I also been doing this for years "

It doesnt matter how many users there are - the only muzzling that needs to be done is with the data which you send back to them.

And dammit, this is a conspiracy forum

[edit on 13/4/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

LOL yes it is a conspiracy forum and I am wearing my foil beanie

But, you have to admit Skibtz that with over 5.2 million average joes participating, if one of them, like Ian here, the OP, sent his data to SETI, then posted it here as he/she did....about a hit....well, then that's all we can do I suppose?

You have to admire the effort even if you scoff at the end result of the effort.

Forgive me, but I am one of the "glass is half full people."

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
i296.photobucket.com...

ok i have had an update....

i think im recieving block information from seti to decode from the same area and so far the signal has turned red on map view which means it is some sort of information hitting the array....(i think)

Could it be from a collapsing star?

i guess seti will have to let me know....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
You guys do know that SETI sends out a bogus signal every once in a while to simply test your computer, don't you? That way, even if you do receive a legitimate signal, they can simply say that it was a test sent out by them.

This is why I no longer keep SETI @ Home on my computer, it's a complete waste!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ian990003100

Ian...

I clicked on your photobucket link and it said it had been removed or moved...

Please advise.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I hope that my children can one day read in their history books about Ian and ATS receiving a signal from another planet.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I installed it last night after i saw this thread and on one of the repots i had this.

Spike count: 8
Pulse count: 3
Triplet count: 1
Gaussian count: 0

and on an other

Spike count: 0
Pulse count: 0
Triplet count: 0
Gaussian count: 1

and and other

Spike count: 1
Pulse count: 1
Triplet count: 1
Gaussian count: 1

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Ive been running Boinc for a while now, where do you find this info?

-B

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I havnt been able to view any of your pics Ian-it says it has been moved or removed,can you get me a pic I can view as I take astronomy and might be able to help with the source.

Also I think it would be easy for SETI to hide info rom even 5.2million members cause they all have to send the info to them for decoding,so SETI can tell them what they want.

Post S & F,hope this turns out good.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think Ian misunderstands what he saw. Most work orders look like that (or even better). You wont know anything unless it is flagged in their system then followed up by further observations (which may never happen without funding). Glad to see you joined SETI@home but there is nothing in your posted data to suggest you found an out of this world signal.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is the second thread of this kind that appears (at this point) to have amounted to nothing. It's such a shame to follow the threads with measured excitement only to be let down by a mundane explanation.

It's truly worrying if SETI send out false 'pings' (false positives) as a previous post'er mentioned. Doesn't exactly fill me with too much confidence or trust in them.

I think it would be better if they warned people ahead of time to show that they have no hidden agenda behind their practices... and that a real signal won't be hidden should one be eventually intercepted.

Nice Going Seth

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
Ive been running Boinc for a while now, where do you find this info?

-B

Open up the client > Projects > Your Results > A web page opens and click on and Task ID click for details marked in blue. The results are there but you can never know what they really mean. Sucks really.

Hope this helps

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
ok map of signal... repost

hope this helps.... also if anyone else has the seti mapviewer i will be happy to send my logs to you.

I personally think that each signal translated should be told to us so we know what the signal is....

what i find most intresting is that the signal is near an exoplanet... when i say near i mean with in relative distance for an advanced race.

the signals i seem to be working on at the moment are all from a similar area...near tau boo...

Maybe they have intercepted an alien space craft send information back to the exoplanet as they are looking for a new home.

I remember that a near a telescope a message appeared and the information translated to the fact that this alien specisis inhabited three worlds...wouldn't it be cool if this was them...

I am purely speculating and my feet are firmly grounded...but it's nice to think we are not alone.

i296.photobucket.com...

i296.photobucket.com...

i296.photobucket.com...

i hope this helps

like i said earlier according to the software which maps signals red indicates a positive source.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I just read the SETI@home site, and it doesn't look very promising:

seticlassic.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Any signals that qualify will be sent back to the Berkeley SETI@home team for further analysis. The SETI@home team maintains a large database of known radio-frequency interference (RFI) sources. This database is constantly updated. At this point 99.9999% of all the signals that your screen saver detects will be thrown out as RFI. Test signals are also removed at this point.

I think you mentioned something that sounded like you already "passed" this part of the test. Your signal came back as a "success." However, I'm not sure if it was this part of the vetting process that you were referring to.

Anyway, if you end up passing that part, this is what's in store for you next:

Remaining unresolved signals are then checked against another observation from the same part of the sky. This could take up to 6 months since the SETI@home team does not have control of the telescope. If the signal is confirmed, the SETI@home team will request dedicated telescope time and will re-observe the most interesting candidates.

So, 6 months of waiting while they check the signal against another observation... 6 months! Ok fine, even if we discount the fact that it might get lost in the bureaucracy of SETI and its red tape, 6 months sure seems like a lot of time for other unnamed sources/agencies to step in and strong arm the group into silence, or to jam the signal indefinitely.

Then, they will request telescope time to re-observe the signal. Well, considering that there are some well known astronomers that are denied the use of telescopes all across the United States just because they are looking for galaxy anomalies that can be used to establish the relationship between similarly redshifted quasars and galaxies, I don't see how it would be a stretch to deny telescope time to some discredited quacks looking for aliens.

So basically what I'm getting at, is that since you don't get the actual radio signal to analyze yourself, and because we can't request other radio telescopes be pointed at Tau Boo, there is absolutely nothing we can do.

And then of course, they add in the mandatory warning about keeping silent:

Because of this protocol, it is important that participants in the SETI@home project do not get excited when they see signals on their screen and go off on their own making announcements and calling the press. This could be very damaging to the project. It's important that we keep our heads cool and our computers hot while they grind away at the data.

Honestly, I think they should be publicly announcing every signal they receive. I believe that would show some proof that they are actually making some progress, and might help them obtain more funding. Although it's possible their credibility might be damaged, but I really don't see how it could get any worse than it already is.

And besides, if they announced all of their possible signals, other rogue scientists and researchers might find a way to second check the signal.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Riposte]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think i have bad news. The signal does not come from our milky way

imo there is almost no chance of a possible alien seti signal beyound our galaxy.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Your wasting valuable computer resources with utter bunk. SETI is a NASA sponsored disinformation program.

Instead of listening for signals from outer space they should be busy researching the ufos in our atmosphere and alleged ufo bases in the earths crust. The fact that they do not care is more than suspicious!

Dr. Freidman has been trying to get in contact with them to answer his questions and they constantly ignore him. In fact, I asked them questions a few times and never got any reply either. It seems that you must accept everything they say as fact, otherwise you get treated as a "lunatic" and ignored.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberflunk

What are you talking about, can you elaborate please? Tau Boo is only 51 light years away.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Alas the cup is half empty crew have arrived....

Im not sure if this signal is from another galaxy however i am researching at this moment!

from the mapviewer it looks like Seti are only searching our galaxy....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

Originally posted by cyberflunk

What are you talking about, can you elaborate please? Tau Boo is only 51 light years away.

If you look at Ian's pic of the seti mapviewer, anyone can clearly see that the signal does not come from the blue zone. However, i must agree that it is very close to our milky way.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by cyberflunk]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join