It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Wonder What a Computer Virus Looks Like?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Virus Photos

This guys named Alex Dragulescu developed a program in which a virus code can be rendered into images. I've been wondering what the pentagon files would look like

This scary looking guy is MyDoom, a virus that debuted in January 2004 and replicated faster than any previous worm. MyDoom opens a backdoor in a user's system, and spreads itself by mining e-mail addresses found on compromised computers. Dozens of variants still roam the net.

NetSky emerged just weeks after MyDoom and mocked its competitor in its source code. Though NetSky did little more than spread itself, it battled with MyDoom for control of the net's countless Outlook inboxes for months in 2004.

This odd virus, called Parite, debuted in 2001. It wraps itself around every executable file it can find on a compromised host, and thus runs along with every program executed on the machine. Here Parite is shown with its tentacles wrapped around NetSky.

Dragulescu didn't confine his efforts to malicious code — phishing e-mails get the graphic treatment too. But messages falsely stating that your bank account has been deactivated for your security don't look this alluring in your inbox.

SpySheriff pretends to be an anti-spyware program. But its fake warnings are simply an attempt to scare users into paying for a full version of a useless application. Still, you gotta love those stingers.

This $50 program called Ghost Keylogger records every keystroke from your keyboard and every URL you browse. It also takes covert screenshots. Though sold as a way to monitor what happens on your home computer, stalkers and identity thieves would love its functionality.

Trojan Gentil3, like much of the malware used by professional cybercrooks, is constantly tweaked to avoid antivirus software's signature files.

The Virut virus opens up a stealth connection to an internet chat channel, giving its creator the ability to install other malware on the infected computer. It debuted in 2006.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
THAT, is kind of scary...

But I like it...

I wonder what would happen if I saw my computer itself, in a visual form?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You would be a fox or perhaps something more interesting lol

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Well, that's aesthetically pleasing at least*.

Kinda like putting a nice face on a nasty problem.

Question: Could this be used as a method of predicting how virus-programmers develop their software?

*Apart from the trojan, lol.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Trojan yeh lol

I'm guessing that the process has no real basis other than some complex equations and fractals, maybe mandelbrots.

[edit on 4/13/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
there cool lookin at least
it does seem that he could have just made the pictures up
and said some smart sounding stuff to make it seem real..

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Those are cool looking and a good imagination of what one would look like. This is what a worm virus looks like to me.

Source

But this is the scariest virus I've ever seen.

Source

[edit on 4/13/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Lol
. I think I've seen worse... nah nvm.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I have to admit that was very interesting! Might not have any real value, or maybe it does? Who knows? One thing is for sure though.... the pictures are creepy and entertaining!

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Applying this technique to that most insidious and long-lived of all viruses we can now see what afflicts untold billions of computers world-wide:

It's enough to make you shudder..

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hey, check out what the solution looks like.

They say it's universal.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

join