It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many conspiracy theorists have succeeded?

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This thread is a product of my recent inner conflict with myself about whether or not many subjects I focus on make me a drain on society rather than a contributor. There is always a possibility that whatever you believe in is false, and if you don't believe that, you probably wouldn't get along with me. The only way to stop yourself from being self-absorbed and elitist is to always be willing to change your beliefs if they are in fact proven wrong.

So I will stop the rambling and get to it.... Why are we on these boards? Is this some kind of fantasy that we all want to be true? Are the times as bad as we think? Or is it just a product of over-active minds?

There is always something insanely genius about a good conspiracy theorist. But, the same could be said of any good fiction writer. When has a conspiracy theorist ever actually succeeded in enlightening the culture to some that was really stranger than fiction?

It has just recently occurred to me that everyone is here for good reasons, and we truly care about our fellow man and have real concerns for the future of humanity's health and soul. The problem is, that these are just intentions, but are we doing what is needed to get rid of these concerns?

I try to stay as sane-minded as possible, and I will never be part of the sheeple population, but logic is beginning to sway my mind in another direction, and I want to be of some service to humanity.

So I guess this is the gist of it...
For all the beliefs we place so much faith in, will we ever have a chance at actually proving them to be reality?

Peace and Love,
SC

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I believe that we ARE doing something, merely by being here bringing evidence to scrutiny and correlation. From what I have been led to believe, this is one of the fastest growing sites on the net, and the information is reaching many. And these many have the advantages of being able to see many facets of these subjects.

Since none of us can co-opt a major network and offer information that way, this is the best we can do. We must know that information resources WILL shrink, when net neutrality goes.

But fight, with the "pen," for it will be mightier than the sword, as long as the "pen" works.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

I completely agree with the sentiment that all information must be considered, but I am asking that historically, has this relentless voyage ever succeeded for anyone?

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but it doesn't stop people from being killed overseas or possibly detained in unknown underground military bases. For the pen to be mighty, it must find readers who will do what it says.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Alchemy turned out to be a useful background for most of our modern specialized science fields.

In the same way, I think the knowledge we accumulate from discussing and analyzing topics (discussed here) will prove valuable to future generations.

Conspiracy theories typically form when relatively obscure bits of data are assembled into (what appears to be) a coherent storyline. To a large extent, the history of the storyline will remain unverifiable by all but the story teller -- however, the presented story will also contain elements ('evidence') that listeners can "see" for themselves.

Conspiracy theories can serve other purposes; for instance, isn't it possible that the Roswell incident helped to illuminate the US Government's use of Black Projects? Aggressively pursuing a subject -- on this board or anywhere -- is bound to produce some result, even if it isn't what the researcher was expecting.

It's easy to miss what we're not looking at, or for. While it may be comforting to desire one outcome (or consider its probability), we shouldn't get carried away by that desire. After all, we're in the same universe we find ourselves observing; why do we keep looking for ourselves outside it?

What exists is already there. It's up to us to stop pasting static contexts on what isn't a static universe. We may not 'prove' our beliefs, but we will at least learn about what we're observing.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Good topic Santa

I found ATS while surfing for UFO information actually, and many of the other topics on here besides UFOs interests me, I think it all is interwoven really...

Some people get here by researching 9/11 conspiracies etc...and regardless of how the members on here found it...we're all pretty much bound by the main premise of the site, which is, we are not getting the true story in many cases, about ANYTHING. PERIOD.

And once you get your mind around that gigantic truth...your perception about anything going on in the world is never the same. IMO that's when you transcend being a "sheep" and embark on the journey to try to discover what is reality and as you said in your OP...you may very well find that a lot of what you believe in may be false...

I can accept that, in fact I would rather discover what exactly IS false in my beliefs, then keep believing in a mirage.

I think that once you find a great site like this, once you realize we are not being told ANYTHING of value really, because it's so doctored up, so inaccurate and so manipulated and driven by greed and power...your mind is then opened to other areas that it wasn't necessarily receptive too before.

I am mostly here to learn things that can't be learned easily anywhere else just for my own peace of mind. I am not trying to change the world or even my small piece of it....

Maybe that's Stage II

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Jackdaw

Wow, what a concise, perfect way to look at it. I have no argument with anything you said. I had a smirk on my face the entire time I read it because it gave me hope for these type of media outlets.

reply to post by LateApexer313

LA, again you're an awesome contributor to my threads, I appreciate it. And I agree with the whole embarking on new subjects, I found ATS almost exactly the same way you did. And I'm glad the OP rang true to you.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Jackdaw

Conspiracy theories can serve other purposes; for instance, isn't it possible that the Roswell incident helped to illuminate the US Government's use of Black Projects? Aggressively pursuing a subject -- on this board or anywhere -- is bound to produce some result, even if it isn't what the researcher was expecting.

AWESOME, I never thought about it like that, but this paragraph of yours says it all...

You are exactly right, while looking to uncover one thing, other things equally important may be uncovered in the process. Great point, star for you

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So now that you all have convinced me that we are doing some good, is there any historical evidence of a conspiracy theorist being called nutty and then being correct?

I guess the earth WAS flat at one point. Those crazy people who said it was round were probably the time's equivalent to Alex Jones.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
So now that you all have convinced me that we are doing some good, is there any historical evidence of a conspiracy theorist being called nutty and then being correct?

Well... I think it is the case now with every CT-ist who says 9/11 was an inside job. At least I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest this is so. I'll go into it if anyone asks... [grin]

There were people who claimed that there was a conspiracy to test radiation and other mind-control stuff on the public. That was poo-pooed. And then... Guess what? The facts came out that, indeed, these things did happen (and likely are still happening, but all the more discreetly).

I could probably come up with more, but I'm a bit tired, so I'll work on it later.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I am very grateful for the compliments I have received. As I read through, I couldn't help but recall Issac Asimov's statement:

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but 'That's funny...'

It's why I suggest an open mind in approaching topics like this. What we find may be what we were expecting. It may also be something unrelated, but just as important.

Moving on; here's a segment from the Wikipedia article on Conspiracy Theory that deals with verified conspiracies. You will find links to articles on the following and others:

* The French government's attempted cover-up following Emile Zola's accusations in the Dreyfus Affair
* The efforts by the Tsar's secret police to foment anti-Semitism by presenting The Protocols of the Elders of Zion as an authentic text.
* Operation Himmler and its Gleiwitz incident
* the MKULTRA mind control program
* the Watergate burglary and cover-up
* Operation Mockingbird
* Operation Northwoods
* Iran-Contra Affair

Of course, it's still Wikipedia, so I suggest keeping an open mind. There are a number of interesting things to be found there, though; I'd love to hear any other thoughts on what is seen.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Jackdaw

Thanks, Jack. I was going to see what I could come up with, but checking in here, I see I don't have to.

Looking at the list, I'd say it's a good one. Despite the wiki element.

And since we have a good list...why is it so hard for some to believe that these...muddyfilchers...would conspire?

That is what get me. With all the overwhelming evidence, why can't it be believed?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Mel Gibson. If I remember correctly, he once played a conspiracy theorist who exposed some baddies, then naturally everything worked out in the end
If only we had that formulaic guarantee in real life... good thread.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by greatpiino

Hiyah greatpiino...

That was a good movie...called Conspiracy Theory

Santa:

I found this conspiracy that proved to be true and a whole list of them, but I never knew about this one, I thought it was a myth...oh well, sad, but was proven true apparently...

1763 Small pox infected blankets given to Native Americans
In response to the 1763 uprising known as Pontiac's Rebellion, Jeffrey Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst suggested using smallpox as a weapon for ending the rebellion. In a series of letters to his subordinate Colonel Henry Bouquet, the two men discussed the possibility of infecting the attacking Indians with smallpox through gifts of blankets that had been exposed to the disease. Apparently unbeknownst to both Amherst and Bouquet, the commander at Fort Pitt had already attempted this very tactic.

You can read about this one and all the others on this site

conspiraciesthatweretrue.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Star, LA! That's one comprehensive list!

But still, in my opinion. a UFO or 9/11 disclosure would be massively more earth shattering than any of the conspiracies on that list.

So now then, what's everyone's favorite confirmed conspiracy?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Hiyah Santa, hey I did my best, all the juicy conspiracies are taken darn it...kicks foot into the dirt....

Not taken but not yet proved... I guess you could say....

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I like to think that I am letting people know the "truth" and I think that I may have been successful in more than one occasion. What bothers me is this;

When people first realize that the government has indeed had/has projects like MK-ULTRA and has indeed been stealing money ala the federal income tax, and of course the REX 84 program, Bohemian grove, and the federal reserve, the Bilderbergers, and tons and tons of documents about UFO's a very real possibility that 9-11 was an inside job etc etc etc they simply shut down.
I mean, I can understand that you cant live in fear of the federal government but what I see alot of is when people first realize that a lot of the things that they assumed was not reality, is indeed the world we live in they "give up" and simply say, "well what can we do?" It is in those times that I wish I could make people "unknow" what they have learned.
I sometimes feel guilty like maybe they were never supposed to know the truth, like they cant handle it in a since. I mean does that make me as elitist as the Bohemians?
I don't know if I am telling people too much too soon or what. It is a strange phenomena , people will say things like "man you cant trust the government" and I say yeah your right for example have you heard about...(insert shady activity here) and they just start to shut down. its like cognitive dissonance. I cant help but notice it and it makes me sad. Its almost like they are truly brainwashed. For example...
How can someone volunteer an opinion like "you cant trust the U.N. or the Government" but when you tell them about the Bilderbergers or the fact that Osama Bin Laden was a CIA asset or about the MK-ULTRA Experiments or REX 84 and even back up your claims with news articles and FOIA document they deny that it is true, even when the document is right in front of their eyes?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Sorry about the rant there I just got worked up. I hope it made sense.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sacerd

No, not at all, its a great point. There have been very interesting conspiracies uncovered.

I think that the next big disclosure could cause a large uproar given our current status in the world and the outlook of US citizens on their country.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sacerd

Hiyah Sacerd...

I understand EXACTLY what you mean....I keep my UFO interests for the most part, to myself....except to a close relative who also saw one and who believes etc...

But I have had a good friend say to me, since my friends all know I dig space and UFOS etc...I have had them say...."Saw a show on History channel about some UFO that supposedly crashed in New Mexico...it was pretty cool, I figure, yeah we're being visited."

The only problem is, if I start just presenting say the recent Stephenville incident and only because they seemed interested...they look at you like you're nuts or chuckle and dismiss it etc...

It's only because, and this holds true for most topics on this site...the average Joe out there has no clue, when they say, "Yeah you can't trust the government" they really have NO CLUE how much they can't trust the government. They are on the level of belief is how I can only explain it, that their mind processes on little truth "all politicians lie" so to them, you can't trust the government.

They are just not at the same "level" and don't know what a lot of us know and when we start talking to them, about stuff they can't grasp and probably don't want to know...they shut their minds or think...."Wow this person actually BELIEVES this stuff" etc.

Anyway you can't blame them...if someone had told me half the stuff I know now 20 years ago, I would have laughed too.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thanks for the support guys.
LateApexer I see your from Cincinnati I know that this is a little off topic but I used to live up and around that area, Oxford to be exact.
Anyway thanks the support.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join