It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lander Zeroes in On Martian North Pole

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

The way things are going, I'd say they will happen relatively soon. Days or less.

I'm just amazed at how well this mission is proceeding.

I thought I heard them discussing testing the arm as soon as the base tests were done during one of the NASA TV lead-up briefings.

NASA is supposed to have one last press conference at midnight. Perhaps they will have an updated schedule of events since things seem to be going so well.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

Thats a poor assumption in my opinion, that NASA only will show us BW grainy images. Do some research and come to the realization that these are low quality 'post card' images used for validating the landing and setup of the craft. The high quality color and stereoscopic images will come in once all the equipment is setup and ready to go.

The only reason they would have used low quality images in the initial stages is because the images would be much quicker to broadcast back to base so that they could deal with any problems asap.

Please don't bash NASA, if you seek alternative truths, go ahead and build your own Mars lander. Cheers.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Toasty

Yep, Some beautiful HI-RES color images will be released in the days to come, and as
Jbird stated also, some microscope images too. They might also release 3D images... now if only I could find my 3D glasses.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by 1freelectron]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

And 4 hours in the Morning !

NASA TV schedule

May 26, Monday
12 a.m. - Mars Phoenix Lander Post Landing Briefing - JPL (Public and Media Channels)
6 - 10 a.m. - Mars Phoenix Lander Live Satellite Interviews - JPL (Media Channel)
2 p.m. - Mars Phoenix Lander Update Briefing - JPL (Public and Media Channels)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Agreed Toasty

To all the NASA bashers ... wait until the information is in before you start dissecting it ... all things take time .. especially when they are coming from Mars ... So how about you wait for about 2 weeks ... nah, give it a month ... so we have lots of photo's and data ... and then start bashing

What amazed me about this mission is that it worked!

NASA had given it less than 50% chance of a successful landing .... let alone the Lander actually working ... fingers crossed ... Well done the Pheonix Team!

They must be getting better at this ... lets hope they have it down pat before the first human sets foot on Martian soil

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 1freelectron

Hi.

They have just shown the same picture that you have posted on the BBC news,and i was unable to see any sign of the white flash on it at all!

Is this the start of the image clean up already?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

Must be at different angle. That image with the reflecting light is still on the site.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Horza

You act as if this is the only mission that we have to go by. Go back and review other threads and other pictures and you will find that there have been complaints and questions about NASA's portrayal of the colors of mars and its sky.
Research a bit before you start questioning why some people are skeptical about the quality and the interpretation of the colors that we are shown.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

The photo on the BBC website has the image #313 . which in a panoramic aspect would be the frame to the left of image #347 (pic with anomaly)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 1freelectron

The image i saw was actually shown on the BBC television news,not on the website.
Perhaps a mistake on my part,but it certainly looked like the same image nontheless.
Nice images by the way,even if they are black and white.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

We will have to wait till the hi-res color photos of that area come out. If they are released and the image is cleaned up and the anomaly removed, there will be questions NASA must answer. but until then we can only speculate.

Hopefully another B/W image of that area is released soon so we can compare them and determine if it is a camera artifact.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1freelectron
reply to post by scobro

We will have to wait till the hi-res color photos of that area come out. If they are released and the image is cleaned up and the anomaly removed, there will be questions NASA must answer. but until then we can only speculate.

Hopefully another B/W image of that area is released soon so we can compare them and determine if it is a camera artifact.

NASA takes several Black and white pictures of the same view through different filters. These different filters are used to later identify colors to create color photographs from the black and white images (that's how they get the color photos -- they are created from these black and whites)...

...THEREFORE, if the White anomaly shows up in only one of those raw black and white images out of (say) 3 or 4 different images of that SAME view as seen through different filters, then it is probably simply a camera anomaly -- and if they don't show it in the fianl color picture THEY HAVE NOTHING TO EXPLAIN -- especially if that anomaly did not show up in the other images of that same view.

It takes several "layers" of black and white images of the same view (imaged through different filters) to create each color photo. If the white anomaly is only on one of those several "layers", then I would not expect it to show up in the finished color image.

[edit on 5/25/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
can anyone else see how perfectly round this is..
AND THE SHADOW..

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I did not mean that there is a conspiracy or cover up. But if two images of the same area have artifacts or anomaly's and the lack there of after the fact, I would like an explanation from NASA on what they think it was. I am new to photography and astro-photography so I am interested in what causes these types of artifacts.

I am not saying that it is a road sign "Landing Zone"

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Glad it landed ok

Nice pics so far, can't wait to see what info it sends back.

Finally getting colorized...

[edit on 25-5-2008 by ThatsJustWeird]

the [ats ] tags are only allowed for images you've hosted.

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Jbird]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
reply to post by Horza

You act as if this is the only mission that we have to go by. Go back and review other threads and other pictures and you will find that there have been complaints and questions about NASA's portrayal of the colors of mars and its sky.
Research a bit before you start questioning why some people are skeptical about the quality and the interpretation of the colors that we are shown.

No I am not.

I make no reference to any other issue accept for the topic of this thread.

I know, very well, what some say about Mars, past NASA missions and conspiracy theories to do with these past missions and there is nothing in my post that refers to any of those or my opinions of them.

I definitely did not make any reference to any comment made about the colour of Mars.

My comment was made to those who are being impatient about the amount and quality of the information being received, especially as answers to a lot of these queries can be found by simply reading through posts that some members have had the time and patience to write out for us all. Thank you to these members.

A little patience will save us all time and frustration.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
In the press conference they just said they hope to take a 120 degree panorama looking south (the images today were looking north). However, they want to get a WHOLE 120 degree panorama, so the images that make up the mosaic will probably be through a single filter and thus will not be able to be colorized -- like I said before, it takes several black and white pictures of EACH VIEW (x the number of views that make up the mosaic) to be able to create a color panorama, and they may not have enough time to take that many pictures.

So, as they said in the press conference, they'll take only one picture (through one filter) of each mosaic "piece" that makes up the panorama, therefore it will be black and white only.

But at least we will get a new view (looking south). Maybe we will be able to see the parachute and heat shield in that panorama.

[edit on 5/26/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

About the parachute and heat shield, do you know what the estimated distance of each is from the lander? Would be pretty cool if we could see them from the landers perspective.

Maybe they will provide some images from the MRO to give a birds eye view of the area like they did with the rovers.

I can't wait for them to start digging. I read on Nasa's site that they are going to start on Tuesday.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Toasty

To that I say WAKE UP. If you believe in NASA and its "truth", you may as well believe in the easter bunny, fox news, jesus...

watchZEITGEISTnow

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic– Review This Link.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Jbird]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Who knows about the technology/techniques they are using for colouring these photos?

In the image "false_color_postcard" there is green tinge in the top left hand corner.

www.nasa.gov...

In the top left hand corner there is a green/blue tinge to the rocks.

Is this a rendering/colouring artefact?

[edit on 26/5/08 by Horza]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join