It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperate North Korea seeks food aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Desperate North Korea seeks food aid

www.alertnet.org

SEOUL, April 11 (Reuters) - Impoverished North Korea is seeking international aid to battle one of its worst food shortfalls in years, a senior U.N. official based in Asia said on Friday.

Agricultural experts in Seoul have said the shortfall may be one of the worst since famine hit North Korea in the 1990s, the result of flood damage last year, high commodity prices and political wrangling with major food donor South Korea.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
North Korea needs to come out of isolationism and join the rest of the world. We and the UN will be able to better help them with their needs if they open up to the outside.

At best I hope it oneday would lead to some kind of free trade and economic treaty like the EU has but between North and South Korea.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I believe we should give them all the food they need! With one single proviso - WE DISTRIBUTE IT!.

I don't care to feed any adults until all the children are fed! Including the unrecognized orphans.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Probably need the food aid to keep their troops strength so they can try invade South Korea again.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by Maxmars

Probably need the food aid to keep their troops strength so they can try invade South Korea again.

Wouldn't it be great if I could say "They would never do such a thing!" ? But I can't - I have personal experience with that regime - no matter what they say - it's NOT about 'the people'. The suffering of the people is a pblic relations 'tool' to that regime.

The reason they are in the position they are in is because they insist on staying there. Those poor children pick grains of rice out of the muck in the gutter to survive - literally.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If you dont send food then eventually the people will get sick of it and rise up. Then we wouldnt have to do the dirty work of getting them out. I say dont send them a damn thing.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
They seem to have plenty of money for freakin' land mines. How about parting with a few bucks and feeding your people?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
A big problem with food aid (especially things like grain and rice) is that it tends to destroy the local grain industry by severely lowering prices. This is a big problem in Afghanistan, where farmers are growing poppies instead of wheat.

I think North Korea needs to use their aid (if the actually cared of course) to develop agricultural programs and provide subsidies, so we don't have to hear about how they are out of rice every four months. Instead, they could create a stable and sufficient agricultural industry to feed themselves.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
If you don't send food then eventually the people will get sick of it and rise up. Then we wouldn't have to do the dirty work of getting them out. I say don't send them a damn thing.

No they wont. This is a totalitarian state and 'the people' are barely even aware they are the 'people'. Indoctrination and population control are at a completely different level there. I emphasize completely.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Once they open up to the world they´re going to be like time-travellers entering a brand new space. Many of them dont even know what internet is.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Starve them out. No more aid of any kind for these rouge oppressive ganglands and regimes and their complacent citizens/prisoners. Maybe an empty stomach will motivate their people to rise up and do something to help free themselves. The humane thing to do would be to consider this a hostage situation and bomb the heck out that regime like we did in Afghanistan and Iraq and others yet to be invaded, and NOT to support them with any further AID.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Starve them out. No more aid of any kind for these rouge oppressive ganglands and regimes and their complacent citizens/prisoners. Maybe an empty stomach will motivate their people to rise up and do something to help free themselves. The humane thing to do would be to consider this a hostage situation and bomb the heck out that regime like we did in Afghanistan and Iraq and others yet to be invaded, and NOT to support them with any further AID.

That is a ludicrous statement. Iraq and especially Afghanistan have both received more aid since their respective invasions than they saw in the periods before. In fact, food aid is one of the main reasons why Afghan farmers are choosing to grow drugs (poppies) instead of food (wheat), as food aid drives down the price and demand for grain in local markets.

A balanced shift from a reliance on food aid, towards stable domestic agricultural industry, is the best way to ensure a country can feed itself.

There is also the liberalized trade route, but I don't think NK has a strong enough comparative advantage over anyone in anything to do this, especially considering how staunchly protectionist the current regime really is.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
From one of the websites I found on the current trade between China and NK, it would seem to do more with competition with the south that's causing some strains. South Korea may not be so willing of a business partner unless the north surenders to (more) democracy.

Some chinese I have spoken with who still visit China believe that the old style of Chinese communism is fading away into capitalism. North Korea apparently wants to catch up.

www.atimes.com...

Someone else had posted a thread here about rice becoming more scarce.

I wouldn't doubt NK would ask for handouts when in reality they don't want to pay the higher prices and are most likely hoarding it for their elite and army.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Honestly it's none of our concern. Until we can say there is no such thing as a malnourished or impoverished American child we've got our own issues to deal with and should not be providing aid to anyone outside the borders of the USA.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Honestly it's none of our concern. Until we can say there is no such thing as a malnourished or impoverished American child we've got our own issues to deal with and should not be providing aid to anyone outside the borders of the USA.

Amen I couldnt of said it better myself. You have to clean your own back yard before you can talk about others.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I would not resist a consensus to deny North Korea the aid its requesting, there is no denial that we too have much suffering to address right here.

I also would not resist a movement to aid them... unless the aid takes the form of anything other than food, and is given in any way other than directly to those who hunger, I've had enough of our government leaders 'pretending' to help other people.

new topics

top topics

join