It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PIRANHA FOUND ON THAMES

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This is a little interesting A Piranha believed to be from Brazil was found in the Thames (River thames london)

The 10cm fish was dropped on a boat by a seagull
Its a little far from home like almost 5000 miles!!

www.sky.com...

I wonder if this has anything to do with global warming and are waters begining to warm a little?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Nah, I doub't global warming has made the Thames anything like the native waters of the fish in South America. The explanation that it was probably turned loose by someone seems believable, alot of exotic animals get turned out when their owners tire of them or have to move to a place which doesnt allow them. I especially like the mention at the very bottom about a shoal of them supposedly eating about 300 people after a boat capsized, makes me want a tank of these little guys for unwanted house guests

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
We have fish turning up in lake Michigan all the time. Nothing like Piranha.

I think he hitched a ride some how.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Remind me not to swim in the Thames...
Of course if the Thames is anything like the rivers that go through American cities, getting eaten by Piranha are the least of your worries...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This kind of thing has happened before... They were kind of a fad pet craze in the 80's, and numerous cities had them in their waterways....

However, they rarely thrive in waters unlike their native Amazon river, so it usually isn't anything more than an isolated incident.....

Those things used to scare me to death....don't know why...just the idea of them I guess....and seeing that old school film, where the cow is reduced to a carcuss in no time flat!

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
This kind of thing has happened before... They were kind of a fad pet craze in the 80's, and numerous cities had them in their waterways....

However, they rarely thrive in waters unlike their native Amazon river, so it usually isn't anything more than an isolated incident.....

Those things used to scare me to death....don't know why...just the idea of them I guess....and seeing that old school film, where the cow is reduced to a carcuss in no time flat!

This is true, in Florida people where spwaning (Oscars) they come in three types, Tiger, Red, and albino.

Some got free into the lakes and rivers down there. Spwaned with some bass, Made a whole new fish.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Heres some kitties that are just looking for there fair share on the thames.

www.moggies.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
A native of the River Amazon in South America, the 10cm Red Bellied Piranha is suspected to have been dropped by a passing seagull.

www.environment-agency.gov.uk...

�The Thames is now home to over 119 different species of fish, so the Fisheries Officers were not unduly surprised,� said Tom Cousins, Environment Agency Fisheries Officer. �It was very fresh and had obviously only just died. You could clearly see the marks made by the seagull�s beak on its back.�

Theres your answer.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Interesting, i dont like pirana's, they scary in numbers, just imagine if waters warmed up would they multiply aneat other sea life? (it wont happen but just imagine it)

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Blobby you avatar kills me!! lol

Now that would be a scary site in the thames,

Swimming blobby

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I went to college on this remote snowy mountian top with a little pond fed by the heat of steam tunnels so it never froze.

ALL of us college students dumped out exotics in there practically every time we moved.

I had this GOBY fish that looked like a big furry rock that just sat there and ate anything that came by at one time. I think it Nessied up in the pond, because you occasionally see a big air BULB for no reason in differerent places now. We call it GOBY POND.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It wouldn't be able to survive in the water there for very long, I don't think.

I used to have a few Piranha's a few years ago, they're neat fish.

new topics

top topics

join