It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi blogger posts video on violent Christian extremism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Saudi blogger posts video on violent Christian extremism

rawstory.com

A Saudi blogger has made a short video featuring alleged Christian extremists preaching violence and a Bible passage calling for war, in response to an anti-Quran film that sparked protests across the Muslim world.

Raed al-Saeed told The Associated Press on Thursday that the purpose of his six-minute video is to show Islam should not be judged by watching Dutch filmmaker Geert Wilders' movie "Fitna," which links terror attacks by Muslim extremists with texts from the Quran.

"It is easy to take parts of any holy book that are out of (context) and make it sound like the most inhumane book ever written," al-Saeed said in a statement posted at the end of his video. "This is what Geert Wilders did to gather more supporters to his hateful ideology. To create schism."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Whether you agree with guy or not, he has a point - be sure to watch the video.

Some people may appreciate the irony of this, because we know that christian extremists DO exist, despite what some may think.

I think this is quite a clever piece of work which shows just how easy it is to manipulate people into judging the many by the actions of the few.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
LOL! Finally, someone did something about it.

Bout time they got a well deserved slap in the face. Who is to say who is right or who is wrong, really. There are bad seeds everywhere and they can and tend to give the organization they belong or claim to belong to a bad reputation.

Christian crusades are just one example we learn about in history books where Christians slaughtered other people who did not conform. Every religeon and organization will more than likely get a bad rep due to some fanatical extremist. And of course let us not forget the hypocritical "holy-rollers".

I say to each his own!

Live, laugh, love!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The Bible, especially if you look only at the Old Testament, does have passages which are pretty violent. Most Christians look at them in context and do not believe they need to visit God's wrath upon their enemies, especially in light of the new testament. But there are a few who do. The man's video makes a very valid point.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Feel free to answer or not to answer this question

In Islam the Quran hasnt changed at all and has diffrent passages with guidlines for War , peace and so on.

this i dont get about christianity
you have diffrent versions each changed.

so the question is which do christians follow? the first one or one that has just been released.
and who decides what goes in the bible (newer ones)?

on topic, Kudos
just goes to show anyone can make a one sided Video for ones agenda

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

It's funny how a thread gets nowhere when it says something people don't want to hear

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I think that extremists come in all sorts of different colors, stripes and shapes. There are people who are extreme about health food, exercise, politics and of course religion. Just about all religions have them. Unfortunately, religion can be used by people with ulterior motives which are not good. "True Believers" of ANYTHING can get carried away and lose their center - if they ever had one.

Unfortunately, alot of people base their opinion of a religion on its extremist members, rather than judging the individual by their actions. Are there extremist Christians? Of course there are. Some are even violent. Also unfortunately, members of that religion and particularly the extremists, don't like to think that anyone of their religion could be an extremist. These are the people that live in fear, but don't know it. Their whole life is based on fear and people who are fearful can often be dangerous and perhaps violent. History has shown this over and over.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Agreed - I'm something of a liberal extremist, some would say.

But I don't think I am - I just call it as I see it.

And this is a great article with a lot to say, which makes it easier for me to express myself.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I find it amusing that there are no mass protests in the west over such a video, and in fact there aren't any calls for killing this blogger or burning the Saudi Embassy, or doing any of the other crimes that occurred after cartoons were posted of Mohammed.

Thus you are clearly seeing a fundamental difference between the west and muslims. The west is accepting of freedom of speech and allows for people to make movies that aren't flattering and those that are even insulting of a religion. Now with this blogger, or anyone else for that matter living in SA, if they made a movie that in any way shape or form insulted Islam then off with their head and I think we all know that would happen.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I think there are people looking at that video and having a right funny turn.

So much so that it makes them go out and become nutters who try to confront those who disagree with them.

Which is the whole ironic point of it I suppose.

Great video.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

thought i would post the video

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Good call

Appreciated

This is not a one line post

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There are extremist football(soccer) team supporters too. Haha.

Be careful what team you support, or they will rage a holy riot against you.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Islams difference from Christians is that they don't beleive that Christ was the son of God and that there would be no more prophets or word from him until his return. They beleive he was a prophet the same as Muhammad who wrote there Quran.
Whats ironic is that christianity beleive the New Testament is from Jesus and what should now be followed in order to stop the slaughters of lambs and slaughters of cows for religious ceremonies and to stop stoneings for people who sinned according to the Old Testament. When you watch the video they quote from the Old Testament which they still follow with the Quran. Think of the Quran as the replacement for the New Testament in there Bible they still have the Old Testament there with it. None of the quotes they use come from the New Testament which is what Christian Based religions follow. The Jewish religon Judaism is based on the Old Testament only. They beleive they must follow the Old Testament and there was nothing else added no New Testament or Quran.

Judaism on Wikipedia
Quran on Wikipedia
Christianity on Wikipedia
Books of the King James Bible

Heres a religion people will be trying to promote more in the future. Bahá'í Faith which says all the religions are right and there all the same and there are still prophets wrighting more books to add to the Bible. I quess Scientology by L Ron Hubbard could probly even fit with them.

Bahai Faith on Wikipedia

[edit on 11-4-2008 by JBA2848]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yea, it's easy to take holy books out of context but it's how you perceive it and act on it. This video is nothing more than a nonsensical attempt to attack Christians. What does soldiers hitting people with batons have to do with the alleged message? Furthermore, what were these people doing before they were detained?

Also, I didn't see any extremists strapping bombs on and boarding a school bus. I just saw some wacky lady with a bunch of young kids. What is this supposed to mean? Because she is using scripture that means the kids are going to commit murder or attack other people? This is quite a stretch at best because the average Christian does not advocate extremism nor will you find Christian extremism on a level with Fundamentalist Islam. Why keep trying to prove something that is just not provable. It's like trying to make excuses for people that are violent killers of innocent civilians.

This is just badly done propaganda and if you know the Bible you would know that the reason you don't see the violence in the new testament is because Jesus paid the price for everyone. That meant that God no longer had to incur His wrath.

I find absolutely no comparison in any way. Don't make assumptions about a Faith you know little about. As soon as I see a Christian blowing themselves up in a deli or running a jet into a building filled with civilians, I'll be the very first to say I see it. As soon as I see a cartoon teaching children how to do a suicide bombing, I'll be first in line to denounce it.

The only thing close to anything like this is the KKK which are twisted individuals that have a twisted view of the Bible. The in my eyes are not Christians.

Some of you know me and also know that I am not a proponent of violent resolution. I am a Christian of the type that the media doesn't show you because I am intelligent, analytical, reasoning, loving, caring and I have integrity. Of course that's not how the media wants to portray Christians but most Christians are basically like me.

I'm sorry but this video is nothing but shenanigans.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh really. Sorry kid, but when is the last time some bible thumpers from backwater texas strapped a bomb on themselves and blew up a market?

This coming from Saudi Arabia is hilarious in my opinion. I can't really understand why these people are considered our allies.

As someone else already stated the fact that no violence has occured as a result of this video, and no fatwa has been declared on this man, no bombs are going off at saudi embassies etc etc. This shows that we are much more supportive of free speech and we don't get our feelings hurt by some people talking crap.

Saudi (and a few other countries) state sponsored islam is brutal and has no place in our world. case in point.

weazlsrevenge.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
you don't see the violence in the new testament is because Jesus paid the price for everyone

True - he just tells you that you're gonna burn in this place called hell for not believing in his silly story. What's a bit of old testament torturing and murder to an eternity of suffering that you will endure, simply because you refuse to believe in the supernatural? Even Jesus didn't suffer forever, but supposedly you will if you don't believe in him.

BTW: the next time he comes, I sincerely hope he can manage to do something more useful than get himself tortured to death and start an another chain of crazy religious sects and wars. Maybe the second time is the charm.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by havingfun
Sorry kid, but when is the last time some bible thumpers from backwater texas strapped a bomb on themselves and blew up a market?

Why would they when there is one already in the Whitehouse sending innocent soldiers to kill others in the name of God?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
[message to atheists, ignore if you're religious]
So, our ancestors created a form of control over 2000 years ago. It was a temporary solution to a major problem back then. Since then, their creation has been twisted in context to allow for hundreds of branches of the original laws, each one pitting themselves against each other.
Now, we stand here today. Permitted to exist once again without scrutiny from our own rules... and what do we see? Our ancestors creations have caused more war and destruction than anything they could have imagined.

What do we do? It's basically our responsibility to set things back on track... but what do we as atheists do to fix the situation our ancestors started?

One option is to let the followers go ahead and war with each other, and pick up the pieces when they are done... another is to intervene, drag them to agnosticism, and re-educate them once they are capable. But how can you do that to such a large mass of people? Sure it was easy for our ancestors to do that with so few people back then... but we have billions to deal with now.

How do we fix this barbaric desire for war that has been twisted from the original texts?
The whole purpose of the original solution was to stop this.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Unfortunately, Extremism in any form is a method which can be instrumentated by individuals seeking to make a name for themselves in the social heirachy of needs.

It is a simple truth of our society that there are highly suggestable people out there who do not have the common sense to realise they are being used (hench, suicide bombers) for the purpose of individuals interested more in their own personal self-gratification than in any higher cause.

I sincerely doubt such individuals could even comprehend what it means to follow a higher cause in the first place.

However, there have been times in earth's history where extremism has been GLORIFIED, such as during WW2 with members of the public holding an almost vehement hatred of the nazis, or - going waaaay back during the crusades, where it was infact the popular thing to go about spreading the seeds of hate towards the muslim world.

This is nothing more than an advanced example of how the media effects each and every one of us, by glorifying gun crimes thru gangsta rap and perhaps polygamy thru personal cosmetics* (The Lynx adverts, for example).

If it sounds like a an excuse to commit acts of violence, there are people who will go for it - simply because they are materialistic and desire nothing more than to see his fellow man crying in utter disbelief at the crimes human beings can commit upon one another.

And they call it progress.

*I was highlighting an example of how the media effects people's ideals on how to live their lives - i do not hold any pre-conceptions on polygamy, other than that it's a 'dark road' to tread down.

p.s; in this post i am attempting to highlight how people have a tendancy to turn information to their own ends - e.g; "Hmm, Steve said that immigration is turning into a bit of a problem".

Now, ordinary folk wouldn't even bat an eye at this, but the people with the capacity for violence (extremists) towards their fellow man would jump up and down with glee, and probably put their stomping boots on.

[edit on 12-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join