It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Hunters: Stephenville Lights - Fumble!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Greetings Forumerions,

Good friend and colleague, Mike Fortson expresses his disgust with the latest offering from "UFO Hunters" regarding the Stephenville Lights"

It's with great disgust that I write this.

As one who has witnessed the fantastic, I waited with great anticipation for the UFO Hunter's episode on the "Stephenville Lights" case. What I watched was a complete fumble of the "UFO football” . . . completely out of bounds, and just out of the stadium!

The rest of the story . . .

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Just got done watching the episode on youtube. Personally I don't have too many gripes with it. In my opinion, the biggest thing is Bill. The moment everyone else says, well doesn't appear to be an ordinary aircraft, he screams ALIENS! Makes it seem like I'm watching one of those stupid loop videos on YTMND.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I have to agree with Mike Fortson, going back to the start of the UFO Hunter series, it was fine a little more than the average UFO show, as the series went on more and more details of coming shows was leaked, including the episode called Vortex, for weeks word had leaked about an anomalie buried 7 ft down giving off radio signals, and these guys where going to be all over it, But nope they seemed to chicken out and dropped that whole segment apart from a brief talk with a local, and some history of the area, where they warned to drop it? i dont know but seems likely, maybe one day they will fess up and tell us, and redeem themselves.

Stephenville on the other hand was the chance of a lifetime, as Mike said they fumbled the ball big time, they could have put off showing this episode and chased the UFO's south, something tells me they would have found something, but we shall never know, something huge is about to happen i can feel it in me bones, i just hope these people dont get involved and hide things,

On the whole UFO Hunters entertainment if you dont mind missing details, and hidden evidence, why cant they just come out and say this is why this didnt happen, they would gain a lot more respect IMO.

I really do think these guys have been gotten too, in a big way.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Mornin' FSBlueApocalypse,

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse
Just got done watching the episode on youtube. Personally I don't have too many gripes with it. In my opinion, the biggest thing is Bill. The moment everyone else says, well doesn't appear to be an ordinary aircraft, he screams ALIENS! Makes it seem like I'm watching one of those stupid loop videos on YTMND.

I keep watching it in the hopes that it will improve, only to find find it falls further into the "crapola abyss."

The research behind each show is shoddy at best; the cast of characters and the interaction between them is only missing the theme from the "A-Team" to complete the fatuity.

This particular episode in my view, could only confuse the layperson about the events that occurred in Stephenville.

Additionally, this time opposed to "blurring" facts about a case, they actually
"lied" stating the the Caron video was being seen for the first time, when in fact it was broadcast by numerous news stations as well as all over the internet over a month ago (if not two!)

There is one highlight to the show however; that is the narration . . . "the guy you don't see" . . . keep him scrap the rest and start over!

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hi Frank...

As much as I understand that a certain amount of "entertainment value" has to be attached to what many would think can be (and at times is) a rather boring and mundane time killer called research, I have to agree that I think they could have done a much better job on this episode.

OK.. I can understand how the triangulation of the different witnesses and the UFO being a major piece of the puzzle. But there are other pieces that seem to get ignored here. Why didn't they try and duplicate the light beam scenario. I thought that was not only really interesting (considering that they had some home-shot video footage to accompany), but it was the only thing that I felt would've possibly saved this episode's already blackened eye. We never heard if tests were done to see how far off the ground the beam resided over. We didn't hear anything about the seconds prior to when the Deer all scatter before the beam hits. They spoke about the missing animals and duck's beaks floating in the water.. I'd like to have seen those photos or sketches... What about how many reports were called into the neighboring police stations and military complexes? And the list goes on and on, in why didn't they do this or that.. Yes I know it's only a 45 minute show (after you throw in 15 minutes worth of commercials), but please.. we need some real stimulation here.

Pat Uskert with his random telephone calls to the airbase..... too funny (sorry Pat, I liked you better from your past work).

It just seems to me that they could step this show up a bit. I thought Richard Dolan's "Sci-Fi Investigates" was fairly entertaining and informative. The interaction was delivered smoothly and real. This shows attempts at being pretentious and ends up being so badly staged that it's painful to watch...

Of course on the other side of the fence.. If someone had no clue about ufology, then they may be mildly entertained..

Johnny

[edit on 11-4-2008 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Does anyone have the backyard footage with the beam?

I have to note that the deer being spooked gives a bit of a hint on this one.

Evidently something in the foreground happened, and the deer look up and just to the side of the camera, then take off, away from the camera.

They don't seem to be spooked by something -above- them, which the presence of this beam would seem to indicate.

My feeling is that the beam is somehow produced by the camera operator, and that he has someone make a noise, which spooks the deer. He does this because he wants to give the impression that the 'beam' comes from a ship overhead, and that the sudden (?) appearance of the ship overhead, and/or the beam caused that reaction.

Since we all know about 'spotlighting' deer, we can conclude that the mere presence of an overhead beam is unlikely to cause a sudden reaction.

Also, any craft which appeared would arrive there first, and then a discrete time later, fire or project this beam. Since the deer spook and the beam shows up at almost the same time, it looks to me like a 'mistake' in the 'simulation'.

It's just darn convenient to have these reports of beams, then this obvious 'beam' shows up on video, with spooked deer, to boot.

I'd have liked to see them try to duplicate the 'beam' on the show.

2 cents.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This show never fails to dissapoint. I have said this before, but when they spent an episode on the drone craft and we not able to conclude that it was a hoax, I knew this show was bunk. It still is bunk and as far as I can tell will continue along this path...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I don't know if I'd call it 'bunk' so much as 'ineptitude'.

They don't always seem to know just what to investigate. They don't seem to know when to drop something that's going to end up as an obvious false lead.

Of course knowing what to investigate depends on your approach. If you're trying to sustain a flimsy belief in the ET hypothesis, then you might pick one type of 'evidence' to investigate. But in that case the show can end up as 'weak'.

They usually end up neither debunking nor proving anything.

I think they'd be better off operating like the Ghost Hunters, trying to debunk the sighting, and then see what's left and see if that might be truly something paranormal.

2 cents.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I know Ricky Sorrells personally. He chose not to be part of this show, so that part isn't the History Channel's fault. He's still fearful about going public and being on camera after the phone call he got and the low jet/helicopter fly overs among other reasons.

It is a shame because I believe Ricky is telling the truth 100%. He's a really genuine solid stand up guy. Plus what he saw in day light is the tip of the iceberg as far as all the sightings go. Ricky is the nuts and bolts of the entire event as far as I'm concerned and what he saw was not 'ours'.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by ufo reality]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
And I don't understand how that one guy on the show last night couldn't get in touch with Karl Lewis or the 301st base commander. That part of the show made me

I have a copy of the 301st Fighter Wing Jan. 23, 2008 New Release which was sent to me via my recent FOIA request and at the bottom it says:

If you have questions, contact Maj. Karl Lewis, Public Affairs Officer, at (*17) ***-****

or e-mail: Karl.*****@********.**.***

I think for an hour long show it wasn't bad. 7/10. I'd like to see someone make a 2 hour 2007/2008 Stephenville/Dublin Texas UFO sightings documentary which covers ALL the bases and leaves nothing and no one out and see that air on national TV.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
When Bill Birnes answered the phone with "UFO Hunters and UFO magazine", I just thought, wow, that guy is a whore. He is a joke.

What was the point of weather balloon experiment? Why didnt they just do the math instead of some asinine experiment.

[edit on 4/11/2008 by dirigo]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There's been a few episodes that seem to have something of value, if only to me by memory of what appears to be by remote viewing it. I can't help but get a strong impression that these guys are actually being censored.

Others might refer to it as being dumbed down. I'll still watch it anyway because my time isn't THAT prescious.

I forgot about the stupid balloon and laser lights. Was that really necessary? Do we really care enough about trying to prove the government is covering these sightings up? Aren't we past that yet? I did like the fact they let the guys kid with the camera say something just to be on the show for a few seconds of fame. Maybe he'll be a better UFO Hunter someday.

At least they showed us the light.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I've said it before (in the other UFO Hunters - Stephenville thread) that the stupid experiments really irk me. Do they have something in their contract that they have to perform at least one inane experiment? Why didn't they go to the location of the beam video and investigate? No daylight footage? No attempt to recreate it?

Mostly, I'm disgusted with myself that I continue to watch this show. I think I need an intervention!!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I expected nothing from this show since none of the UFO Hunters episodes have ever left me with a feeling other than vague sadness at how unscientific they are and people watching might think that all ufology is as baseless as these shows.

I was vaguely surprised by the deer content and I have to give them points for introducing new material even if they didn't follow it through. And to be fair the UFO comment I thought was simply a very brief aside and used for ironic humour. I don't think you should hold that comment against them as they weren't trying to impersonate a UFO with the balloon, just confirm the triangulation of a physical object in a dramatic way.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Mornin' Johnny, et al,

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous
Hi Frank...

As much as I understand that a certain amount of "entertainment value" has to be attached to what many would think can be (and at times is) a rather boring and mundane time killer called research, I have to agree that I think they could have done a much better job on this episode.

Research pertaining to Ufology is certainly more often then not insipid; however, I believe the "entertainment quota" required by the "corporate heads" can be accomplished without campy dialogue, innuendo and pseudoscience!

As I have repeatedly said in each passing week, I cross my fingers and hope for improvement only to be dismayed to what is now a pattern in regards to a poor show on several levels; this episode in particular left me with my head scrunched up, confused and questioning the intent. This is not to say there are/were nefarious motives, only that in the aftermath in regards to research and presentation, I found myself asking, "what were they thinking?" I might add, I'm "moderately" involved in this case and if "I was befuddled"; one can only imagine the impact on a UFO abecedarian.

OK.. I can understand how the triangulation of the different witnesses and the UFO being a major piece of the puzzle. But there are other pieces that seem to get ignored here. Why didn't they try and duplicate the light beam scenario. I thought that was not only really interesting (considering that they had some home-shot video footage to accompany), but it was the only thing that I felt would've possibly saved this episode's already blackened eye. We never heard if tests were done to see how far off the ground the beam resided over. We didn't hear anything about the seconds prior to when the Deer all scatter before the beam hits. They spoke about the missing animals and duck's beaks floating in the water.. I'd like to have seen those photos or sketches... What about how many reports were called into the neighboring police stations and military complexes? And the list goes on and on, in why didn't they do this or that.. Yes I know it's only a 45 minute show (after you throw in 15 minutes worth of commercials), but please.. we need some real stimulation here.

Pat Uskert with his random telephone calls to the airbase..... too funny (sorry Pat, I liked you better from your past work).

I felt the "light beam" footage was by far the highlight of the show, and to quote Mike, "they fumbled" big time here. The proper presentation of that video evidence "could have" gone a long way in regards to "shoring up" this latest offering from GP (Grossman Productions).

I am also in agreement with you on the Uskert clip, "that should have been left on the editing room floor."

It just seems to me that they could step this show up a bit. I thought Richard Dolan's "Sci-Fi Investigates" was fairly entertaining and informative. The interaction was delivered smoothly and real. This shows attempts at being pretentious and ends up being so badly staged that it's painful to watch...

Of course on the other side of the fence.. If someone had no clue about ufology, then they may be mildly entertained..

Johnny
[edit on 11-4-2008 by JohnnyAnonymous]

This is where we part company; if it is possible that there could be a show more piteous then "UFO Hunters," it was that one (Sci-Fi Investigates).

One of the "main" problems with Ufology "is the media," and their distortion of the facts (or omission of) pertaining to the the phenomenon. In this instance it's about a production company addressing the subject matter; however, in contrast to a "documentry or a "singular special" the objectives are entirely different; the bottom line, and continuation of the show is paramount, and qualitative research/investigation takes a backseat.

Additionally, "they (independent production companies) always take the path of least resistance"; for example, one doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to realize that Grossman is copying the successful format and highly rated (i.e., ratings) of "Ghost Hunters." Their ideology being, "why reinvent the wheel."

Friend and colleague, "Duane Tudahl" (producer of some of the UFO Files shows) is currently working on his latest offering pertaining to Ufology, and with some luck and "good sense" perhaps we'll see some quality programming in the near future.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Mornin' UR,

Originally posted by ufo reality
I know Ricky Sorrells personally. He chose not to be part of this show, so that part isn't the History Channel's fault. He's still fearful about going public and being on camera after the phone call he got and the low jet/helicopter fly overs among other reasons.

It is a shame because I believe Ricky is telling the truth 100%. He's a really genuine solid stand up guy. Plus what he saw in day light is the tip of the iceberg as far as all the sightings go. Ricky is the nuts and bolts of the entire event as far as I'm concerned and what he saw was not 'ours'.

Ricky needn't be on the show for this important component to be included; if this was a report done by a competent investigative team (forgetting television for a moment) Sorrells would have never been omitted. Same can be said for Angelia (Joiner) and Steve (Allen). It would be akin to doing a story about Kenneth Arnold's sighting without Kenneth Arnold in my view.

Cheers,
Frank

new topics

top topics

join