Peter's Mountain Virginia

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm looking for any information about Peter's Mountain located in rural Albemarle County Virginia. I grew up in a town called Gordonsville about 10 miles north of there. As a kid I always heard stories about how it was a Nuclear Missle base, or a super communications hub. But the coolest one was the rumor that on 9/12/2001 Anti-Aircraft Artillery went up the mountain and has not come down. There is a big paved road that goes to the top off of Turkey Sag Rd. which is a gravel road and tractor trailers are always going up the mountain with covered loads. There are all sorts of Gov't signs about private property and no tresspassing. From Gordonsville at night the top of the moutain is lit up like a Christmas Tree with a lot of blue lights which I thought was weird. and you can see vehicles driving around. I'm looking for any info. I've talked to people who work for Sprint and AT&T who operate substations for the National Long Lines System at the top of the mountain that have been greeted by soliders wearing no patches but a flag and carying m-16 rifles. Any info is helpfull. Thanks

Muzz

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by muzz]

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by muzz]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I found a USGS photo of the county you mentioned on www.terraserver.com but the resolution is NOT good enough to see anything interesting.
Albemarle County, Virginia
If you can get the latitude/longitude maybe you can get something better there or at GlobeXplorer

That's the best I can do to help. Maybe it will be useful.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Thanks, hopefully I can get anybody with any infromation on this, I grew up in the area and it's something that I've just always wondered about.

Muzz

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm also in VA, I've been to Albermarle a few times, I can't remember of hearing about that particular spot you mentioned, but I've heard of a lot of weird places in the state. I'll try to find some more information.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Thanks, this is not a widely known thing. I've been to most of the places in Virginia, Warrington Training Center, Mount Weather, Mount Pony, ect..

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Years ago, about 15 to be truthful, I drove with family past MT. Weather, on our way to Kings Dominion Park. I asked why we couldn't slow doen to look around, and was told that if we went below the posted speed limit we would be stopped. At the time I thought nothing of it. But today I realize I have family living within 15 min. of it. I don't know the "REAL" story but if anyone out there has it, Please ley me know!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Yeah, I used to work for a long distance ambulance service, after doing some research, I realized that I have driven past Mt. Pony, Warrenton Training Center, and I think Mt weather on the way to Bluemont.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
THIS Peter's Mountain in West Virginia? I have so far found nothing pertaining to a Peter's Mountain in Virginia.

members.cox.net...
Hangglider's information. I have to question the presence of a government center there if people can hangglide there.

www.hangingrocktower.org...
This mountain above us is known as Peter's Mountain, named for Peter Wright, who settled in this area in 1776. At this point it rises over 3200 feet above sea level. The state line between Virginia and West Virginia lies on top or near the ridge except where it dips into the valley to include Waiteville, West Virginia.

Peter's Mountain is known, not only locally, but throughout the world by meteorologists as the producer of one of "Natures Greatest Noises". Usually, in the spring, when conditions are right, a great roaring wind is heard, described by one as "a tremendous thundering roar of giant waves breaking over rocky reefs."

The Gap Mills is described as originating in the Atlantic Ocean and traveling unabated across Virginia until striking Peter's Mountain, when it spills over the ridge causing the roar. Local residents have observed, here in the fields below, ocean gulls and wild geese which have been carried along the mighty current of air and, being exhausted and confused after topping the mountain, have come to rest.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That site is one of the original AT&T project offices built in the early 60's as a communication and relocation facility. The stories you heard about it being a "super communications" site aren't all that far from the truth. It was designed to provide redundant communications for the higher ups during a catastrophe. Also, some of the sites have relocation facilities intended for Continuity of Government operations. Check out Albert LaFrance's site at: coldwardc.homestead.com...

He is the resident expert on these sorts of things

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Peters Mountian is known as VA-6 on this map

[Edited on 5-30-2004 by muzz]

new topics

join