It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foiled Terrorist Plot or Communist Propoganda?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

As a source for the proliferation of modern national identity since its reemergence in the late nineteenth century, the Olympic Games have been highly revered by all nations, and as the epitome of Western civilization since antiquity has demonstrated the brimming success of the West, its influence on all contemporary countries and of all their people, and in its ability to assimilate them into one cohesive capitalist entity. Now in face of popular derision from the citizens of the Western world, and threats of state boycotts to the Games, which will be held in China this year, I wonder if the Chinese government's foiling of a supposed major terrorist plot to the Olympics is not just a coincidence as it overlooks this most celebrated and venerated of culturally unifying events the world over. It does seem portent that in lieu of its recent political misdemeanors with Tibet that China receive this opportunity as a means of demonstrating its competency and dedication to this most hallowed of political bacchanals, that it shows the world and especially the West that is entirely capable of defending the Games that we have all come to treasure as members of one race. This just wasn't a coincidence; this I would not for an instance doubt is China's seamlessly integrated propaganda at it's finest, though a noble cause nonetheless.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Chinese propaganda at it's finest. There has been unrest in Xingiang where these plots supposedly were discovered. There are may Muslims there that have been feeling the same sort of pressures that Tibet has. China is killing two birds with one stone...the PRC has found a reason to raid homes and imprison those that want spiritual freedom, and then also to put themselves out front as some kind of heros.

www.ibnlive.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

There has been unrest in Xingiang where these plots supposedly were discovered.

The XinJIANG groups are on the US own list of terrorist groups, the world is not US centric. Not all terrorist activities are targeted toward the US

Chinese propaganda at it's finest.

You are so obviously eager to believe any thing the Tibetans say and you claim the Chinese propagate propaganda?. Remember those claims the Tibetans made accusing people posting Tibetan violence as Chinese agents which was so obviously unaccepted even in the western news. They also posted a picture claiming that a group of PAP actually caused the violence which turned out to be from the MOVIE the torch

So the US "unfoils" a terrorist plot its for national security. But when China foils one its propaganda?.

Here is something interesting. A Tibetan attacking a para-Olympian. In any language that is ASSAULT

China rages over attack on disabled torch bearer

BEIJING (Reuters) - A wheelchair-bound Chinese torch bearer has rocketed to national fame after fending off protesters in Paris, becoming a symbol of China's defiance of global demonstrations backing Tibet.
(Advertisement)

Jin Jing, a 27 year-old amputee and Paralympic fencer has been called the "angel in a wheelchair" and is being celebrated by television chat shows, newspapers and online musical videos after fiercely defending the Olympic torch during the Paris leg of the troubled international relay.

Protesters denouncing Chinese policy in Tibet threw themselves at Jin. Most were wrestled away by police but at least one reached her wheelchair and tried to wrench the torch away.

Jin clung tenaciously to what has become a controversial icon of the Beijing Olympic Games until her attacker was pulled off.

Her look of fierce determination as she shielded the torch, captured in snapshots of the scene, has now spread throughout China, inflaming simmering public anger at the protests.

"I thought we had lost in France, but seeing the young disabled torch bearer Jin Jing's radiant smile of conviction, I know in France we did not lose, we won!" said one of tens of thousands of Internet postings about the incident.

Chinese people are generally enthusiastic about hosting the Olympics and many have backed the government's claims that recent riots and protests in Tibet were the work of the Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan Buddhist leader, seeking to upset the Games. The Dalai Lama has repeatedly rejected that claim.

Jin, cheerful and photogenic, has emerged to embody nationalist indignation at Western criticisms and protests.

"I still feel very angry now, and I think the man was very irrational," she told Reuters in an interview.

"Hosting the Olympics is such a good thing for our country, so why do they want to ruin it?"

uk.news.yahoo.com...

the PRC has found a reason to raid homes and imprison those that want spiritual freedom

And you think the Tibetan killing of 19 people were not enough of a excuse?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There is some doubt in the minds of the U.S government as to how dangerous the Uighurs of Xinjiang are. I think the PRC is simply jumping on the terrorist bandwagon and trying to convince the world that the Muslim community is a threat to us all in order to crush the dissent of those that want spiritual freedom. www.pinr.com...

And then there is the March 2nd incident where China supposedly saved a flight from Xinjiang to Beijing from being blown up. What I have read does not convince me that there are any terrorist activities coming from Xinjiang. I think Beijings inclussion into the war on terror is a free ride to do away with those that disagree with chinese rule over them. If china has truley uncovered terrorist activities then maybe they should show the world how competent they are in this matter by letting in the press. It could make many who travel to the Olympics feel a bit safer. As a westener I tend not to rely on blind faith. www.time.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I say the the Chinese should release more details of how they found out about these so called terrorist, show us some photo's the US will tell us if they are of any interest.

Too little is not being told about the arrest but I believe they needed to take the spotlight off the torch relay and Tibet problems before the IOC cancells the Games. This is not the outcome they would like.

The Chinese goverment has a bit of a problem coming in August around 27,000 media personal are going to be there, they can not and won't be able to keep track of all of them the truth will get out!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
There is some doubt in the minds of the U.S government as to how dangerous the Uighurs of Xinjiang are.

The Same US government minds also allowed 9/11 to happen and used undoubtedly wrong information as a excuse to invade Iraq with its "supposed" links to Al Qaeda. How dangerous was Al Qaeda before 9/11 compared to AFTER 9/11. Once a small obsure network became the worst nightmare of all Americans with "supposed" links to every attack world wide even through the organization probably became smaller after the invasion of Afghanistan

Its also on the UN list of terrorist groups as well. Obviously there is a good reason why they are on that list.

China was dealing with car bombs in Xinjiang a long time before 9/11. It didn't somehow surface when the US "begun" its war on terror like most Americans believe. A lot of countries have been having problems much before the US and they were labeled as "freedom fighters" by the US media, when 9/11 happened the same western media labeled them as terrorist.

Oh the irony

What I have read does not convince me that there are any terrorist activities coming from Xinjiang.

You must have read far and wide

So your not convinced but the world body of world leaders is?.Maybe you should read all information available instead of "disbelieving" claims which have been acknowledged by the UN.

I tend not to rely on blind faith.

Yet you blinding post propaganda from none other than "Free-Tibet" sites which you claim as fact or post hearsay and speculation from opinions on the internet such as your approach to the Xinjiang terrorist as "on the terrorist bandwagon and trying to convince the world that the Muslim community is a threat to us all" even through the international community accepts them as terrorist?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

What I have read does not convince me that there are any terrorist activities coming from Xinjiang.

From your own source.

Beijing focused on the violent groups, while Washington highlighted the grievances of the nonviolent groups. The 1990 uprising in Baren, a small town near Kashgar, led by the Free Turkestan Movement that killed 22 people was used by Beijing as an excuse to crack down on the Uighur population in Xinjiang. Throughout the 1990s, Beijing's efforts to increase its control over Xinjiang were answered by a series of attacks by militant Uighur groups. Washington's position on the attacks was that they were being launched by a small minority within the opposition movement, which had legitimate grievances with the Chinese government.

While the U.S. promoted human rights issues in Xinjiang, Beijing claimed that the attacks were being waged by groups that had ties to terrorist organizations in Central Asia. In many cases, these claims were valid but Washington's strategic goals were to promote human rights in China and weaken the government's control of its western periphery regions, in case a conflict should arise between the two states in the long term; it was not within the U.S.' interests to provide a justification for China to rein in the Uighur groups promoting greater autonomy or separation. To this end, Washington dismissed as propaganda Beijing's claims that Uighur groups fought on the side of the Taliban during the 1996 revolution in Afghanistan and as an excuse to persecute political dissidents.

The Bush administration pursued a path that mitigated these concerns. The State Department and the C.I.A. quickly began differentiating between violent groups that had ties to international terrorist organizations and nonviolent groups that were campaigning for greater autonomy and religious freedom within the Xinjiang region. Some of the groups that were singled out as violent were the United Revolutionary Front of Eastern Turkestan, which has ties to groups in Kazakhstan and took up arms against China in 1997; the Wolves of Lop Nor, which has claimed responsibility for several train bombings and assassinations in Xinjiang; and the Xinjiang Liberation Organization and Uighur Liberation Organization, which have been active in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan and are tied to the assassinations of Uighurs thought to be cooperating with the Chinese government.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It seems to me that China is creating a picture that westerners would appreciate...killing terrorist. However the west has it over on china when it comes to propaganda, the west is so much better at it... we western onlookers have been trained well and can see right through it ...we have freedom of press and speech combined with a sense of where the bulls#*$ is coming from. Sniffing out chinese propaganda aint all that hard. I leave another anaysis of the latest terror threat from Xinjiang. www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

However the west has it over on china when it comes to propaganda, the west is so much better at it.

And the Tibetans are even better at it. The best in the business are backing up their propaganda campaigns which is none other than Hollywood

I leave another anaysis of the latest terror threat from Xinjiang. www.huffingtonpost.com...

He says "Chinese officials offered no evidence to back up the allegations" then says "police showed a film of a variety of bottles and boxes with brand names printed on their labels in Chinese, along with vehicles, an electronic scales and machinery they said they confiscated in the raids". Contradiction

Apparently they didn't show evidence but then said they did??????. Doesn't make sense to me but a poorly written piece of pose which only comes up with speculation and hearsay more than anything else

And the huffingtonpost?

I would still like to see information regarding your assertion "What I have read does not convince me that there are any terrorist activities coming from Xinjiang. "

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think you assume that the standards we in the west use to define evidence is as low as chinas. Showing a film of bottles boxes and lables is not evidence. Maybe china should show the world their protocol for collecting evidence...let the rest of the world see this so called evidence. Allow reporters to examine the evidence, let reporters write about the proceedings, prove to the rest of the world that China is not using the war on terror to terrorize those that don't agree with china.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

hi, are you missing me? LOL..
it seems that your commission logging on ATS is anti-China, no matter what happened in china, in your shoe, there must be a plot by gov. why do you live in hatred to annoy youself. to find some other topics to enjoy would be better.
just let us chinese live in "oppression". God will rescue us, dont bother you honey.

oh, today is weekend. and olympic torch relay get welcomed in Argentina, it is a big day for me. all chinese including tibetan will enjoy the olympic and prosperous future. welcome you to join us, of course, if you dislike, ok, continue your "heroic" behavior. it is not cool but cruel.

free to bed... lol..

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hello wwssii...I was beginning to think that you were hiding from me. Now you know that I am not anti-chinese but instead pro-human dignity which compells me to advocate for the freedom of all Tibetans.

I visit a lot of different threads here at ATS, look at the threads I have flagged. Why are you here?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

me? oh, i miss some old friends like you. so log on here to care about how you are getting along with your candle business.LOL..

to be frank, your camp really did a "good" job in London and Paris, even didnt let a handicaped girl torch bearer alone. really fabulous.just a game. but you are creating an enemy rather than a friend. what a pity.

tibetans are enjoying pretty good freedom and dignity. even better than me. do you know? i am really jealous of them.

if you someday realize that what you argue for is non-existence, how pathetic you will be. just like those soldiers in Irag, even now they still dont know what they are fighting for with their blood and lives. politicans always are smarter than you. take care of yourself, dont be fooled by them.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I think you assume that the standards we in the west use to define evidence is as low as chinas.

And what "standards" is the west supposed to use?

"Evidence in its broadest sense includes anything that is used to determine or demonstrate the truth of an assertion"

I never saw one stread of evidence on the supposed London aircraft Plot
news.bbc.co.uk...

When Police confiscate a shipment of drugs, reporters aren't allowed to verify the contents and the common person is not allowed to touch it, but we have a bond of trust between them. But it is still evidence.

A testimony is EVIDENCE even through it can be wrong, inconclusive or biased but its still evidence. Dont

Showing a film of bottles boxes and lables is not evidence.

It obviously is.

It IS evidence, although the evidence is questionable. I dont think you understand the definition of evidence. He claimed that China just made an argument without any evidence which later on he acknowledged they did provide evidence.

You are confused about your own bias on the issue and the definition of words

Allow reporters to examine the evidence, let reporters write about the proceedings

Why would China do such a thing when NO COUNTRY in the world does?. To satisfy you?. Its almost universally accepted fact there is a terrorist attacks in Chinas Xinjiang region as agreed upon by world leaders through the UN.

Use of reporters?. You think reporters can solve anything, what about scientist?

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by chinawhite

When people are being accused of something as dire as planning a terrorist act and the world needs to see the evidence, that evidence should be a bit more than a film of bottles, boxes, lables and dynamite. When the rest of the world is so sceptical of the actions and motives of chinese authorities I would think china would show the evidence needed. What China has shown the world thus far has not convinced anyone, in fact most of the media accounts from around the world state a certain suspision over the lack of evidence, the timing and the past actions against the people of Xinjiang. www.latimes.com...

The definition of evidence must be as great as the crime.. since that evidence is used to convince and convict. en.wikipedia.org...(law)

Reporters in the west swarm all over terrorist cases, this is how we know when our government is being corrupt and unjust. Reporters have at large served a greater purpose for the world acting as the eyes for us all.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
To the OP:

Depending on how you look at it, Both.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Using terror threats as propaganda for mass manipulation?
They're catching on to the old game.

Kudos, China.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It seems there is some evidence concerning the British aircraft plot www.csmonitor.com...

As far as evidence in drug deals, murders, corruption and the like cameras are often present during the investigation and then of course there is the legal system which is held to public scrutiny...not always as perfect as we would like but one of the best in the world.

Have the Chinese authorities released any further evidence of the March 2nd plot? www.time.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I was going to point out the irony of the U.S. pointing out that this may be propaganda but...I'm just not feeling clever tonight.

Either way who cares, I just want to see more footage of peaceful protesters of oppression assaulting a woman in a wheelchair.

Now thats delicious irony that doesn't need a write up.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

When the rest of the world is so sceptical of the actions and motives of chinese authorities I would think china would show the evidence needed.

China has released pictures of the cache of confiscated material and it has also Publicly named the leaders involved. More than a similar incident the US or Britain. Do you know in a case like this, the police censor material to stop copy-cat imitators from doing the same thing. Thats why murder cases and such cases are not normally made public because it will allow other people to copy them

rest of the world?. I beg your pardon. Maybe your under the impression that the "west" represents some larger portion of the world than it really does.

Possibly only US citzens, some Australians and a few other western nations might believe what the US says but a large majority of the world does not. Chinese citzens obviously dont believe the CNN or for that matter any western news agency, Russia, the middle east, south America and a lot of European countries such as France and Germany. A lot of these countries have finally seen the workings of the US government and its shady excuses and evidence in its interest on the fight against terrorism.

You as a proud American wave the flag and preach against Human rights abuses while the deaths and atrocities are still being played out in Iraq. You allow proxies to torture victims to obtain information and then release information accusing other countries of the exact same thing

You claimed "What I have read does not convince me that there are any terrorist activities coming from Xinjiang. " yet you posted a link stating otherwise, not to mention the fact that it was agreed by the leaders of the world at the UN

in fact most of the media accounts from around the world

Name 10 countries for a start

Reporters have at large served a greater purpose for the world acting as the eyes for us all.

Reporters are the worst form of evil. Let it be Xinhua news all the way to CNN. I read what they report but not the "spin" they put on it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join