It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Ex-Pastor to Speak in Detroit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

www.sfgate.com

The Detroit branch of the NAACP said Thursday it has selected the embattled former minister of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama as the keynote speaker at its 53rd Annual Fight for Freedom Fund dinner.

The civil rights organization called the Rev. Jeremiah Wright a man that has "challenged the nation" and "challenged our comfort zone," in naming him its speaker at the April 27 event, which typically draws about 10,000 people.

(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit: quote was too long

[edit on 11-4-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The article is about Wright giving the keynote speech at the Detroit branch of the NAACP's Fund for Freedom dinner on April 27. I chose the above snippet because it is the most provocative part of the article. Are we Americans mature enough to have a real conversation about race without calling each other "racist pigs?"

Somehow more than the part I highlighted was included in the snippet. I guess I'll leave it that way.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Are we Americans mature enough to have a real conversation about race without calling each other "racist pigs?"

Sure.

But if it walks like duck and quacks like a duck .. then it's a duck.

Wright is a racist pig. He's anti-white. He's anti-Jew. He's anti-America.

That's just the truth.

If you want to have 'real conversation' then you need people involved who aren't blathering idiot bigots. Wright isn't one of them.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'll take the same quote FF did.

Originally posted by Sestias
Are we Americans mature enough to have a real conversation about race without calling each other "racist pigs?"

Yes. We are. But the important thing is that if someone DOES call someone else a racist pig, we have to keep talking. We can't use that as an excuse to stop the conversation OR escalate that particular line of thinking.

That's what's happening now. Someone gets called a racist and they think it's the end of the world. Get over it. Keep talking. Move on. It's not the end of the world if someone calls you (or me) a racist. If we are to ever have this talk about race. we have to toss the political correctness and "getting offended" and talk about it.

Check This Out - Meeting David Wilson

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The mod's edit left out the part of the article I most wanted to quote:

In response to the controversy generated by Wright's remarks, leaders of the national United Church of Christ and the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA have called for a nationwide "sacred conversation" about race. United Church of Christ leaders also have asked ministers in the church's 5,700 congregations, seminaries and other ministry settings to preach about race on May 18

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thus my question: are Americans mature enough for such a conversation?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
How about this conversation. I don't think the media is willing to speak truth of those in power.

After seeing all the debate. I put this group of media clips together.

George Stephanopoulos - and an interview on his time in the Clinton White House.

Michael Eisner ABC CEO till 2005 - says Hillary Clinton should be appointed as a monarch instead of elected.

Walter Cronkite - Gives oath to Satan,(no joke, he says it) then Hillary Clinton congratulates him on a video call.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join