It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

money grubbers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

money grubbers

had 3 pop ups since i logged in here.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Has anyone else got pop ups after visiting ats? I thought this was a secure place. but they are selling our info to other sites. I like the site, but they are vilotating the whole reason we are all here.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Not once ever. I use Firefox with ad blocker, I guess that means it's working.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
If you're getting popups WHILE logged in, that's not from us. Pop ups will be there for guests, not members who are logged in.

I'd suggest checking if you're on any other sites while these popups are appearing and run a full scan for adware.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
One man's money grubber, is another man's Business person.

You may redeem yourself by ordering a bride from overseas.

oh, you said popups..unusual..check your other browser windows, or run some
Spybot style software.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Use of ad blocker at ATS is against the T&C

We will have to confiscate your computer

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Terribletoys

but they are selling our info to other sites.

how the bloody hell have you made the " logical " leap from

pop ups appear

to

they are selling your info

???????????????????????????????????????????

pop ups - are just that , a new window generated by a script - no ` sold ` info is required

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Maxmars

Use of ad blocker at ATS is against the T&C

We will have to confiscate your computer

I am nailed to the hull ....,

my only shot at redemption is to redouble my efforts at being properly 'consumer' oriented.

Where to I sign up for that 'Over 40's singles thing?"

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terribletoys
Has anyone else got pop ups after visiting ats? I thought this was a secure place. but they are selling our info to other sites. I like the site, but they are vilotating the whole reason we are all here.

We don't serve pop-ups at all. None.

If you're getting a pop-up while browsing ATS, one of two things are happening:
1- an errant banner ad is launching a pop -- when we know about this, we kill it
2- you're infected with malware that's creating pops based on keywords on ATS pages

Also, our Privacy Policy linked at the bottom of every page makes it clear we would never do what you're accusing us of doing.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Heyyyy! I'm getting pop-ups too!

Oh wait, I'm getting pop-tarts not pop-ups.....Nevermind.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
YUMMMMMM, Pop-tarts.......

I had a series of pop-up a couple weeks ago while on a number of different sites.
I ran my AVG, Spybot, and AdAware. After cleaning out the few hits those programs picked up it solved the problem.

Time to run some scans on your machine.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm a bit concerned here, so I'm gonna say something I hope is not taken as a personal attack... it isn't meant to be...

ATS is not free. It can't be. Computers cost money, even servers. Bandwidth costs money. Running the thing costs money. SO has to eat, you know. It's only free for us because the advertisers pay for the ability to confront us with cute Chinese girls for sale.

Please, everyone, don't knock the ads. They pay your fee. In my opinion, that's a small price to pay.

Sorry for the rant, but I have seen forums closed down because of things like this, and I have seen other similar complaints here recently. I don't know if that's normal for ATS or not, but I hope not.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I've never had a pop-up on ATS.

Never.

So it may be a problem with your PC as others have stated.

Yes there are ads (banners only), and some of them can be a little annoying - but that's a small price to pay for such a great FREE site and for the ability to interact with so many knowledgeable and downright nice people.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
All kidding aside - You can't put a price on the potential to find truth.

I know where I won't find it - just about everywhere else.

I hope it remains free - but I will not begrudge ATS one cent of what they earn.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Money grubs??

I've spotted a few moths in my wallet.. Do you think they've hatched then?
That explains where all my cash is going then.. blummidy greedy little blighters.

I've never seen any pop-ups (or pop tarts) on ATS when I'm logged in either and I get spammed everywhere I go.
MMMMMM pop tarts with spam..

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Money grubs??

I've spotted a few moths in my wallet.. Do you think they've hatched then?
That explains where all my cash is going then.. blummidy greedy little blighters.

I've never seen any pop-ups (or pop tarts) on ATS when I'm logged in either and I get spammed everywhere I go.
MMMMMM pop tarts with spam..

MMMM SPAMTARTS!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I really don't want to offend the ppl that make ats possible. I don't get the pop ups everytime I am on here, its not that bad. Its just that i don't get pop ups ever. I'll make sure my security is updated. But much thanx to the site owner and all the good ppl helpin to keep this site going.
keep up the good work.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
lol i got a pop up when i entered this thread

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
We all get a banner ad at the top of the page, and ads down the right side of the pages we view, but so far none of these ads have caused pop-ups for me. If you run a tight ship as far as anti-virus and some basic scans you won't have the problem.

I'm not entirely sure how ATS makes it's money on the ads.

Page views ?
Number of ads served ?
Number of ads clicked on ?

But if serving up the ads, or if our clicking an ad once in a while feeds the coffers of ATS, it's fine with me.
I suspect the site does fairly well from the traffic stats I've seen, but I'll offer Simon, SO, or Springer a free meal at my house if they need to stretch their grocery budget.
(Mods are welcome on cabbage roll and perogie night.)

If it did come down to ATS needing a cash injection to keep the site going I'm sure a simple request from the owners would have members lining up to subscribe.

But you know something, in all the years I've been a member they have never asked for a penny from anyone. The owners have actually discouraged threads suggesting any fund raising by members offering Paypal or something like a donation fund.

ATS is all free, and who cares if they can't figure out my husband would object to me having an Asian woman in my life........:bnghd:

I think I'll put my order in tonight...

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
where do i get the ats ad blocker plus. i want block it ALL

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join