It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second Military Drone washes ashore local AL beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
b]Second Military Drone plane washes ashore in Baldwin County

nbc15online.com

Officials say a second unmanned drone plane washed ashore just east of Fort Morgan around 8:15 Thursday morning. The first BQM-167A aircraft was spotted on the Baldwin County beach on Wednesday. It had washed ashore near the Beach Club Condominiums. Military personnel have now recovered both aircraft.

Wednesday, Baldwin County 9-1-1 began receiving calls around 4 P.M. about a plane which had crashed in the water, but when deputies arrived, the aircraft, which is about 20 feet long, had already washed ashore.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is my first thread, so please bear with me. I am just curious as to why these pricey military drones would be used for target practice? Is there more to this story than what is being reported? What do you all think?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It might have been a Defence operation in which they were testing our ground defences against incoming jets/missiles.

They probably used the drone because they don't want to kill pilots ?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NAMEUNKNOWN03

I am just curious as to why these pricey military drones would be used for target practice?

they are using them for target practice because the BQM-167A was designed and built to be a target platform , read here

targets are launched to be shot at

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
well could also be that they had some thing majorly wrong with them and desided why not just shoot them down

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thing is when you shoot down small aircraft like those drones they usually disentigrate during flight or when they crash into the water like any aircraft would do. The pictures of the drones show them completely intact.

I'm thinking they fell off a ship that was or wasn't supposed to be carrying them. But I don't believe the Airforce shot them down outside Panama City and they floated to within 300 yards of each other to Fort Morgan.

If anyone can find the current surface streams of the Gulf of Mexico they can set it straight.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It's capable of carrying things like cameras and infra red sighting,,handy for Counter Narc monitoring ,,, cheaper than a lear jet and less obtrusive than a fighter plane,,,

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
looks like a carbon fibre wing? I assume that's where the drone took the hit, the rest of the airframe looks undamaged.
Unless it simply ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean, shearing the wings at impact?

What a waste of a perfectly good gas turbine! The guys over in the homebuilt cruise missile project thread would have loved to get their hands on that!.............me included!

:-)

Cheers

Robbie

top topics

join