It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Walls of the world, and why we don't have one

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Why the US has not built a wall in between herself, and the third world despot that is Mexico...

For a little Inspiration, lets look at some VERY nice walls from history...

Great Wall of China

The biggest, and greatest wall in the world.

To protect the empire against intrusions by the Xiongnu people from the north, he ordered the building of a new wall to connect the remaining fortifications along the empire's new northern frontier.

The Roman Empire built 2 great walls in Norther England/Southern Scotland.
-I know a little bit more on this wall, then the Great Wall... the wall was built as a place to end the expansion of the Roman Empire... it signled the end of the expansionist Roman Policy. Later, the Romans built a second wall, not as good as the first, but further up the Islan, deep into present day Scottland. The Wall had several forts along the wall, and the outposts were placed within sight of each other. From one coast to the other.
Brito-Roman Walls

What make these walls special are they they are not prtecting a certain city, like the Walls at TROY, or the Walls that defended Constantinoble/Istanbul/Byzintine for a 1000 year. But these Walls, the Romans, and Chiniese, were built to keep a nearby enemy on thier boarders, a boarder that they wanted defended, but did not want to commit the manpower to defend them, so they thought outside the box, and created these relics.

What do you think of these walls... did i miss any other Notable ones...

Why can't the US make a wall on the southern boader?

The Romans, almost 2000 years ago, were able to build a fortified wall, thousands of miles from the City of Rome, but yet it got done, in fact, they liked it so much, that they moved north about 100 miles, and built another Wall.

1000's of years ago, it was done, the Romans built Walls, not around cities, but rather across a land mass, using natural bodies of Water, and a Wall.

SO, why, if the Corrupt Romans, can build walls while they drive thier empire into the ground, but the US is only driving themselves into destruction, and no wall...

Are our Senators more currput then the Romans Senators... i can't belive that... the Roman world had its fingers over more of the world then the US... thus, more acess to resorces, and more power...

So please people comment, tell about some other Walls out there, mabye they don't have to be 'good' walls...

And someone has to outline the Berlin Wall, i was not even a teenager when it came down, so IM SURE that some people here can give a much better story of it....

new topics

join