It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police to be 'microchipped'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Every single Metropolitan police officer will be 'microchipped' so top brass can monitor their movements on a Big Brother style tracking scheme, it can be revealed today

According to respected industry magazine Police Review, the plan - which affects all 31,000 serving officers in the Met, including Sir Ian Blair - is set to replace the unreliable Airwave radio system currently used to help monitor officer's movements.

The new electronic tracking device - called the Automated Personal Location System (APLS) - means that officers will never be out of range of supervising officers.

Might this be desensitization aimed at breaking down concerns over civilian chipping? What they don't seem to mention in the article is whether the plan involves the chip being implanted under the skin, or as an attatchment elsewhere on the officer's uniform. If anyone has found any updates which reveal the full plan in detail, please post.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
My guess is that this has been going on in a lot of places by a lot of organizations, although I always figured it was more the Blackwaters and Wackenhuts, who more or less own their soldiers.

It the first step in building the "perfect" warrior.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hmmmm.....they aren't exactly saying where the chip will be. I am assuming it's not going to be an implant.

Still kind of scary.

By the way, there are studies that claim microchipped pets (actually implanted) have a higher incidence of cancers. Forget the "big brother" implications, I just don't want one on me most of the time, implanted or not - yikes!

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It will be in a device they wear. As a police officer I see no problem with, this it can only increase officer safety.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Future_LT

As against monitoring as I am, I feel I have to agree with you on this one.

If it was an implant I'd be shouting from the rooftops, but if it IS simply something you wear, or attached/built into your clothing then I then think it's a damned good idea.

Our police are subjected to so many threats these days, and whilst there are many reasons why I don't think my local police are up to much I applaud any effort to protect their personal safety in a manner such as this. They do have families, after all. No matter how poor some of them are at their jobs - and I am in no way implying you are - The_Future_LT - I think that it may be a good thing.

In a serious assault on a police officer, a radio can be thrown away or lost - this will save our c@nstables lives in the long run and I welcome it.

However, I still await the day when they are more useful to me when someone says they are going to kill me with a metal bar in their hand than simply saying 'well next time, ask him exactly how...'

Overall, though - good for officer protection. Truck drivers, etc, have their whereabouts monitored as far I'm aware via mobile phone tracking. I believe that most of the time it shows a Little Chef on the M6...

new topics

top topics

join