It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter to Meet Hamas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Jimmy Carter to Meet Hamas

www.worldnetdaily.com

Hamas confirms plan to meet Jimmy Carter
Would be highest-level US audience for isolated terrorist group.

The Hamas terrorist organization has confirmed to WND plans are in the works for former President Jimmy Carter to meet the chief of Hamas on a trip this month to Syria.

Sources in the Gaza Strip office of Ismail Haniyeh, the deposed prime minister of the Hamas-led Palestinian government, confirmed Hamas is in talks with Carter's representatives about setting up a meeting during his trip...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Report is that Hams is planned a meeting with former Prez Jimmy Carter, but which is it?

Earlier, Ahmed Yousuf, Hamas' top political adviser in the Gaza Strip, claimed to WND he wasn't aware of any Carter-Meshaal meeting.

"I don't know anything about any such meeting," said Yousuf, who advises Haniyeh.

That conflicting information is interesting but may just be part of the protocol that Hamas has setup.

This is a dangerous organization:

Israeli security officials say Meshaal is responsible for coordinating all elements of Hamas and for calling for many of its major terror attacks.

Hamas is listed by the State Department as a terrorist organization. The group is responsible for scores of deadly suicide bombings, and thousands of shooting attacks and rocket firings against civilian population centers.

..and the president may not be safe:

FoxNews.com quoted a State Department spokesman in Washington stating the U.S. government is concerned about Carter's unsanctioned trip to Syria, which the Bush administration has been trying to isolate.

www.worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Maybe they'll behead Mr. Carter and make the world a better place.

Seriously, why does Jimmy Carter think he has any right to go onto foreign soil and insult America like he did in Cuba? He has no U.S. governmental authority or sanction. As arguably the worst President in recent history, thumbs down to him from me. Jerk his passport, I say.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by TheAvenger]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
A better title for the article would be something like:

"A senile, old American foolishly agrees to meet with a known terrorist organization in hopes of appeasing them".

I'd tell Jimmy-boy to go build some houses, but I don't think they let him hold a hammer any more.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger

Seriously, why does Jimmy Carter think he has any right to go onto foreign soil and insult America like he did in Cuba? He has no U.S. governmental authority or sanction. As arguably the worst President in recent history, thumbs down to him from me. Jerk his passport, I say.

Agreed, except Roosevelt was far worse looking back. I mean really, the was a communist plant and did all he could to destroy the U.S economically to ripen the states for a soviet takeover. As a heavily armed citizen from this amoeba's state and on behalf of the entire electorate, I would like to apologize for ever placing this waste of air in the oral orifice. Your turn Arkansas and Texas.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The man has more guts and morals than anyone else in and around the White House or government right now.

What's better, talk to those with a genuine grievance or continue supplying Israel with the means to eradicate them so their land can be stolen?
From some of the amswers on here I get the impression bombing people trumps peace in a rather sick and twisted game of who's got the biggest stick.

The US State Department doesn't like such things as it shows them in a bad light given their unwillingness to engage in talks to try and bring about peaceful resolutions. They are, after all, part of the problem, being owned by the military industrial paymasters.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Jimmy Carter ... hug a terrorist and tick off Israel. That's all he's good for. He thinks he's somehow still relevant. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

well as some US fantics have shown they prefer fists first
and no diologue.

this is a good thing, better talking to them then adding fuel to the fire.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Jimmy Carter

A true Prince of Peace. I wish him good luck and God Speed.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He thinks he's somehow still relevant. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

Exactly. Carter, most of all, knows the legacy of his failed presidency. He has been trying to do something to salvage that legacy ever since. Obviously, as his mind goes, he is getting more desperate.

Side note: the same thing seems to be also happening to Bill Clinton, although at an accelerated rate compared to Carter. It's only taken a few years for Bill "the charmer" to turn into Bill "the jerk" based on the news stories we're getting from the campaign trails.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by Britguy

well as some US fantics have shown they prefer fists first
and no diologue.

No. We U.S. "fantics" still prefer dialogue first - as long as you also know the fists are there if you try to "dialogue" in bad faith.

Note our symbol of the eagle with an olive branch in one talon and arrows in the other.

It's mostly your choice which we ofter to you first.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
www.abovepolitics.com...' another discussion thread on this. good topic

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

I thought the politics site was merging with ATS, oh well I guess not yet..

Any case, yes I think Carter will most likely be doing more harm than good by visiting with the Hamas, the extra press alone to that terrorist organization..

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger

Thank you for elevating this discourse by wishing for the death of a man you disagree with.

Seriously, why does Jimmy Carter think he has any right to go onto foreign soil and insult America like he did in Cuba? He has no U.S. governmental authority or sanction.

Because he's a private citizen and has that right. I understand that, as a conservative - and one actively wishing for the murder of an ex-president of the United States at that - you believe only people who agree with you and your warped view of reality should be afforded any rights, but that's not actually how this country works. God willing, you will continue to be disappointed in such a manner for a very long time.

As arguably the worst President in recent history, thumbs down to him from me. Jerk his passport, I say.

Speaking of passports, I wonder what happens to someone who hopes that someone under Secret Service protection gets murdered. Hmmmm.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Knowing Carter, he'll ask them to lay down their arms.

Knowing Hamas, they'll say no.

Still, it's worth a shot.

Without talking to Hamas, like it or not, there is no chance of peace for Israel or Gaza.

Since the idiots currently running our government can't seem to talk bring themselves to talk to to anyone they disagree with, someone has to take up the slack. That policy would have worked wonderfully during the cold war: we'd all be radioactive stratospheric dust now

Good for Carter - I don't think he'll succeed - then again no one thought he would succeed at Camp David either, but Israel and Egypt have been at peace ever since.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

State Department opposes Carter meeting with Hamas chief The State Department it's not in the U.S. government's interest for former President Jimmy Carter to meet with the exiled leader of Hamas during an upcoming visit to Syria.

"U.S. government policy is that Hamas is a terrorist organization and we don't believe it is in the interests of our policy or in the interests of peace to have such a meeting," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack tells reporters.

A spokeswoman for Carter wouldn't comment on reports that he plans to meet with Khaled Mashaal.

blogs.usatoday.com...

they will however provide support "befitting" a president. when a president leaves office, they should be a "common" person. Look at Truman and what Ike did not do.

The 39th U.S. president said he met with Hamas leaders in Ramallah, in the West Bank, after last week’s elections.
hotair.com...

[edit on 10-4-2008 by musselwhite]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Good for Carter - I don't think he'll succeed - then again no one thought he would succeed at Camp David either, but Israel and Egypt have been at peace ever since.

But history has shown that Carter did not succeed at Camp David. Juast like he also failed in his personal diplomacy with North Korea. In fact, history shows that all of his "foreign policy junkets" have failed - just like his presidency.

Give it a few years and you'll also see that his houses will also fail to stand the test of time and weather as compared to the others built around them.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

But history has shown that Carter did not "succeed at Camp David.

Really?

Egypt and Israel are still at war?

I never would have noticed

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

But history has shown that Carter did not "succeed at Camp David.

Really?

Egypt and Israel are still at war?

I never would have noticed

Not currently shooting at each other directly, however, Egypt is serving as an arm conduit to Hamas, who is currently shooting at Israel. So, at best you can say Carter "succeeded" in changing them from having a hot war to a cold war and at the price of Sadat's life.

BTW, if you are a lawyer, please U2U me your contact information. Anyone that can defend the likes of jimmy carter could really prove useful at some future date.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Speaking of passports, I wonder what happens to someone who hopes that someone under Secret Service protection gets murdered. Hmmmm.

Probably the same thing that happens to everyone here that hopes Bush is murdered.

Carter is a bitter old man, a failed president tilting at windmills.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join