It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carter To Meet Hamas Leader: Jazeera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
www.newsmax.com...

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter plans to meet Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal in Syria next week, despite U.S. efforts to isolate the Islamist Palestinian group, Al Jazeera television said. The meeting was expected to take place in the Syrian capital Damascus on April 18, and may also include former U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan and former South African President Nelson Mandela.

"Senior Hamas officials have confirmed the Carter meeting but declined to speak on camera out of both political and security considerations," Al Jazeera said on Thursday.

Washington shuns Hamas as a terrorist group and has joined Israel in supporting efforts to isolate it.

i'm kinda lost on this one. please help me out.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by musselwhite
i'm kinda lost on this one. please help me out.

Sure .. no problem.

Jimmy Carter - who is widely believed to be the worst president in recent history - is going on one of his 'hug the terrorists' binges. He does this every so often.

He just loooooooooooooooves the so-called Palestinians.
He trashes and lies about the Jews .. at least in his book he did.

Hamas is a terrorist group and Al Jazeera is a pathetic tool of the terrorists. So naturally, Carter would loooooooove them.

Here's the thing - he's a private citizen - I don't know if private citizens are allowed to have meetings with terrorist entities - specifically Hamas. I'm pretty sure that there is a law that Congress passed not too long ago saying something about this.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

a private citizens we pay to protect until his passing. i never believed him to be to savvy on military matters (Iran) and was curious as to who put him up to it and what in the world is he trying to accompolish.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

what in the world is he trying to accompolish.

With Carter it is probably just to hug a terrorist and tick off the Jews.
Although he might actually believe that he is still somehow relevant.

Who knows what is going on inside that peanut brain of his.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

ah, yes, peanuts. know what all comes from peanuts?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

a private citizens we pay to protect until his passing. i never believed him to be to savvy on military matters (Iran) and was curious as to who put him up to it and what in the world is he trying to accompolish.

As I said on the other thread, Carter is franticly trying to create a new legacy to counter that of his failed presidency. He must realize that senility is taking his mind and has therefore become more desperate.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

April 9, 2008
Jimmy Carter Plans to Schmooze with Hamas
Jimmy "the Dhimmi" Carter is still conducting his absurd and despicable shadow presidency, with plans to visit the hostile dictatorship Syria, where apparently he will meet with Khaled Meshal, exiled leader of the terror group Hamas.

Former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton comments:

It's about par for the course from President Carter, demonstrating a lack of judgment typical of what he does. To go to Syria to visit Hamas at this point is just an ill-timed, ill-advised decision on his part.
Steve Emerson of the Investigative Project on Terrorism also finds it typical:

I'm not surprised that Carter would do this, as he has been supporting Palestinian extremism for many years.
The objective: to undermine the Bush Administration's policy of isolating Hamas, in hopes of weakening sanctions against the vicious terrorist organization.

Ibrahim Hooper of Hamas's American PR wing CAIR confirms Carter's pernicious motives with some oily gibbering about how the Dhimmi is a true partner for peace — i.e., a committed enemy of the USA, Israel, and non-Muslims in general.

Soon people like Carter could be in charge of our foreign policy again. To get an idea of what this will entail, recall that Iran was a civilized country allied with the USA before Carter's moonbatty policies helped create the current situation.

www.moonbattery.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Carter can't do any harm and he might be able to do a little good, even if it's just to improve our image with the Palestinians a bit. He hasn't got any bargaining chips, but more power to him.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

granted. i just have a little difficulty not accepting the fact he may have political pull as he is or was a member of the Trilateral.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Carter can't do any harm ....

Actually, he can.

He's thumbing his nose at the State Department and the elected Administration of the United States. He's also probably breaking our law. (the law congress passed saying private citizens can't meet with and cant' do business with Hamas) When an ex-president of the USA meets with terrorists, that RAISES the terrorists up to a higher level of standing in the world. It definately does harm.

He went on one of these screwball 'peace missions' back in the Clinton years to North Korea. HERE is information on Carter - the results of that trip are discussed.

[edit on 4/11/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Actually, he can.

He's thumbing his nose at the State Department and the elected Administration of the United States.

Since he's part of the trilateral maybe he is above our laws. The ranks of our government is on a puppet's string and carter might be yet another puppet on a string doing what the PTB require of him. I mean he's got someone backing him. i do not believe he initiated this meeting. For the love of money, he's in his 80's!!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
www.newsmax.com...

U.S., Israel Criticize Carter Plans to See Hamas

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:34 PM

WASHINGTON - The U.S. State Department said on Thursday it had advised former President Jimmy Carter against meeting the leader of Hamas in Syria next week, saying it went against U.S. policy of isolating the militant group.

Carter plans to visit Israel, the West Bank, Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia and Jordan during a nine-day trip due to start on Sunday but gave no details of specific meetings.

"This is a study mission and our purpose is not to negotiate but to support and provide momentum for current efforts to secure peace in the Middle East," the Carter Center said in a statement.

"Our delegation has considerable experience in the region, and we go there with an open mind and heart to listen and learn from all parties," it said.

Carter, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, discussed with the State Department's point person on Israeli-Palestinian issues, David Welch, his plans to meet exiled Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal in Damascus, but the department said it went against U.S. policy.

"We counseled against it," said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.

top topics

join