It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt Sentences 5 men to prison for Homosexuality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Egypt Sentences 5 men to prison for Homosexuality

www.rawstory.com

An Egyptian court convicted five men Wednesday on charges of homosexual behavior and sentenced them to three years in prison, officials said.

Defense lawyer, Adel Ramadan, said the judge found the men guilty of the "habitual practice of debauchery" — a term used in the Egyptian legal system to denote consensual homosexual acts.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Awesome...Way to go Egypt...Glad to see you're still living in the stone ages...

So now the way a person is born, even if it may be a genetic behavioral difference--Is grounds for torture and emprisonment? Maybe you can burn a few witches at the stake while you're at it...

Ramadan, a lawyer with the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights, said the five men were abused and tortured over the past several months to "extract confessions" from them.

In addition to their prison time, the men were sentenced to an additional three years of police supervision, meaning they will have to spend every night at a police station, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., the lawyer said.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
""Defense lawyer, Adel Ramadan, said the judge found the men guilty of the "habitual practice of debauchery""

That sounds more like they're irritated about the fact that these people were having sex while they should have been upstanding members of the community.

Which is obviously dressed up to conceal the truth of the matter.

I'm just glad they haven't stoned them or something equally as barbaric.

*has unleashed the middle-eastern stereotype*

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Another fine example of medieval barbaric laws in the 21st Century.

Egypt has a disgusting human rights records, but because the President *coughs* dictator *coughs* is oppressing the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, the United States and Europe won't dare question Egpytian law or human rights.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
an alot of studies show we are born female 1st then if we have the gene we are turned into a male, ovaries drop an other parts turn into other parts lol

so how is homosexuality such a mindblowing situation when everyone is born a girl at 1st anyways.... i mean to me odds are some are gonna not fully develope into a male for whatever reasons..... wether it be mental, physical, or spiritualy ....

fine example of how we are just kids in a big city with all the adult on vacation..........

you could argue that throwing a man in prison for having different beliefs is debauchery

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In any system where people are tortured for a confession, doesn't actually mean they were guilty of the crime either. Their crime may have been something entirely different like publically speaking about human rights etc. In many other countries and their prisons, a person who wasn't homosexual will end up serving as one in prison. In Iran they are probably put to death. Who's to say these people won't actually die in prison or otherwise?

To use this as a comparative example to relaxing laws in regards to human rights violations in Islamic countries, is most likley fictional. People are most likley randomly used as examples whether they were criminals or not. I wouldn't doubt there are double standards there also.

Many inocent people have been set up in democratic countries such as the US also. When I hear about these same people released years later and given huge monetary settlements, it makes me wonder who the real criminals are.

Token arrests and settlements hasn't stopped this insanity. These are all mind games.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
well if they are gay then prison should be a field day for them

ok all jokes aside. this is their way of life what right do we have to say what they can and cant do, weither we think it is right or wrong...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
What some of the law enforcement people do in Egypt to citizens they arrest is grounds for homosexual behaviour in my opinion. So shouldn't they also be tried under that extremely stupid law?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
egypt is so archaic. as for the reason for us to concern ourselves or not with egypt's practices, i definitely feel we should get involved and it should matter. i mean what if they thought it were ok to kill every tenth person for religious reasons. would we say oh well it is none of our business? i dont think so....we need to get involved wherever and whenever people's lives and freedoms are being assaulted.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
ahhh forced confessions for "crimes" that dont hurt anyone, oh and after theyre released they have to live at the police station. its good to see some people still consider human rights to be selective as to who they consider human.

new topics

top topics

join