Can you SIN while lucidly dreaming?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I started a thread earlier but I feel the title does not accurately represent the meaning I was trying to get to. Here we go.

Is it possible to sin while lucidly dreaming?

If you are full aware that you are dreaming and use this to your advantage to do as you please no matter what the action may be, is this wrong? If you knew for a fact, that there was no consequences at all from your actions, things you would never do in real life because it would be wrong, all become viable.

Does this equate to a sin?

Hmmm.....

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Define SIN, Deadline.

I am not being sophistic: it really is of paramount importance, and not only in terms of semantics.

If you ask me, a SIN is everything that demeans your own "godliness", if you will; everything that turns you into a force working against creation.

So in that sense: yes, of course it is possible to "sin" while lucidly dreaming. After all, the "lucid dreamer" is still YOU, right?

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Yes it is, but in my reasoning...

Sin is something that negatively effects something, someone, somewhere. When you are dreaming, technically, you affect nothing. So all of your actions while dreaming consciously.. which is much different then a regular dream... carry no consequence. You wake up, then carry on with the rest of your life.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sin, to me, equates to personal Ethics - which is like morals but it's your own personal set of them.

Obviously the more lah-di-dah members of society can banter amongst themselves as to what is truly an ethical standpoint - but i know where i stand on that matter, at least.

If it's something that you would consider as wrong in reality (and of course, your dreams are still part of reality - keep that in mind) then you should not technically be making excuses.

Do you have some sort of problem with accepting that you've done something that is inherently wrong even by your own standards?

edit; If, for example; i was to dream about killing and maiming hundreds of baby ducks armed with nothing more than a club, i would consider that wrong.

I'd probably go so far as to go out and feed the ducks, if i was badly affected by it.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
No, so to speak.

I do the same things anyone would if they knew their actions carried no consequence. If you were free to do as you will. Lets say you are invisible, you have the ability to pass through walls, you can fly wherever you deem necessary, you can throw fireballs, you can move mountains just by thinking about it... You are all powerful.

It almost reminds me of the quote, "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely."

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Sin is something that negatively effects something, someone, somewhere. When you are dreaming, technically, you affect nothing.

Not necessarily true: you can affect YOURSELF.
(Note the word "can".
)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
I do the same things anyone would if they knew their actions carried no consequence.

That's an interesting pointer, does imaginary absolute power corrupt, absolutely?

One would think that judging by all the mini-hitlers inhabiting our office spaces nationwide, that the case would be a yes.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber

Originally posted by deadline527
I do the same things anyone would if they knew their actions carried no consequence.

That's an interesting pointer, does imaginary absolute power corrupt, absolutely?

One would think that judging by all the mini-hitlers inhabiting our office spaces nationwide, that the case would be a yes.

Its only while dreaming though. If anyone had the ability to live to lives so to speak, one where you are all powerful and your actions effect no one and carry no consequence, as opposed to your other life which equates to what we know as this reality, where our actions DO carry many consequences and can affect MANY different people and things.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Can a Christian be practicing Lucid Dreaming and still be true to his faith?

Seems to me being concerned about "sinning while practicing lucid dreaming' is not perhaps the pertinent question.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Some would say that seeing how your actions affect others would be better than your actions not affecting them at all.

I still think you're simply trying to excuse your over-indulgence of the imagination.

It's up to you to decide whether or not that's a good thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Sin, to me, equates to personal Ethics - which is like morals but it's your own personal set of them.

Obviously the more lah-di-dah members of society can banter amongst themselves as to what is truly an ethical standpoint - but i know where i stand on that matter, at least.

If it's something that you would consider as wrong in reality (and of course, your dreams are still part of reality - keep that in mind) then you should not technically be making excuses.

Do you have some sort of problem with accepting that you've done something that is inherently wrong even by your own standards?

edit; If, for example; i was to dream about killing and maiming hundreds of baby ducks armed with nothing more than a club, i would consider that wrong.

I'd probably go so far as to go out and feed the ducks, if i was badly affected by it.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Throbber]

Ok, now lets take this a step further. You said you dream of killing the ducks, hundreds of little fluffy ducks

Now, what if you CONSCIOUSLY killed all of them cute little animals, yet still while dreaming? Only because you know that what you do in a dream has no effect whatsoever on real life.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavlovsdog
Can a Christian be practicing Lucid Dreaming and still be true to his faith?

Seems to me being concerned about "sinning while practicing lucid dreaming' is not perhaps the pertinent question.

It comes naturally to me, actually. I couldn't stop it if I wanted to, same with astral projection, naturally exit my body during sleep to do as I please. I don't plan on dreaming lucidly or leaving my body at night, but it does happen quite a bit. I cant say I do not enjoy it either, anyone who has the ability to dream lucidly or astrally project would have to agree it is one of the most rewarding experiences you can ever encounter.

On the negative side of things, sleep paralysis is quite frequent as well. I believe it is when you are in between outside and inside your body, not fully in either.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This is where my title "Synthetic Messiah" comes from as well. In my lucid dreams, I would say I am as close to a god as possible, yet not real - hence synthetic.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Sin is a falsehood perportrated by men who wish to controll the masses. What some consider sin is just a choice in this reaility.
I'm not speaking of criminal acts just "sins" like lust,greed etc.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Perhaps it depends on the person - i can honestly say that i've never actually dreamt of anything along the lines of killing fluffy ducks or any other cute small creature for that matter.

Plenty of times i personally have been mauled, eaten alive, sliced, diced, crushed (that was a real bad one when i was a kid) or any other macabre obscenity on the mind that i've dreamt of though.

Is it a sin to dream of your own death?

Not last time i checked, but i know it's wrong.

Come to think of it, i haven't had any of those dreams for quite some time now - perhaps for me it depends on my mental stability...

Well, regardless - I have infact willingly harmed one person (from almost a decade ago) who i felt had slighted me in some way in my dreams, but i only went so far as breaking his nose.

Still felt bad about it afterwards though.

Like i said, it depends on the person.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Sin is a falsehood perportrated by men who wish to controll the masses. What some consider sin is just a choice in this reaility.
I'm not speaking of criminal acts just "sins" like lust,greed etc.

Criminal acts are something created by this reality. They do not exist in dreams. To commit them while knowing that you are in a dream state, does that still equate to being wrong because you know it carries no consequence.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Perhaps it depends on the person - i can honestly say that i've never actually dreamt of anything along the lines of killing fluffy ducks or any other cute small creature for that matter.

Plenty of times i personally have been mauled, eaten alive, sliced, diced, crushed (that was a real bad one when i was a kid) or any other macabre obscenity on the mind that i've dreamt of though.

Is it a sin to dream of your own death?

Not last time i checked, but i know it's wrong.

Come to think of it, i haven't had any of those dreams for quite some time now - perhaps for me it depends on my mental stability...

Well, regardless - I have infact willingly harmed one person (from almost a decade ago) who i felt had slighted me in some way in my dreams, but i only went so far as breaking his nose.

Still felt bad about it afterwards though.

Like i said, it depends on the person.

Everyone dreams of things they cannot control. But...

When you KNOW that you are dreaming, and decide in your dream that you are going to carry out these actions in your current dream. Almost like a video game. Actually, perfect analogy!

Dreaming is my video game, I know what I am doing and I enjoy doing it because I know that it bears no consequence to the real world.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Criminal acts in the dream world only exist of you believe it to be so. There is no right or wrong in dreams.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I think i see what you're getting at - you feel as if because it's going on inside your head, you create the rules, that sort of thing?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I think i see what you're getting at - you feel as if because it's going on inside your head, you create the rules, that sort of thing?

Exactly

Actually, more so that there really isn't any rules. Rules dont exist in a dream, or do they?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join