It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is reality a hologram?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This is an age old theory, that the world as we know it is a projection. That it's not real, that dreams are just as real as reality itself. The reason I have come to this conclusion is based on experience. I see and hear things that seamingly aren't there. Hallusinations of both visual and auditorial nature. I experience time interference and I, and I believe everyone, seam to have the ability to communicate through time with everything from books to tv to radio, to real life. Multiple deja vus and dreams and ideas that when seeing and hearing it, dosn't make sence until later, when these things materialise so to speak, as science or events etc. In this post I will talk about the visual aspects.

Ever since I was a child I have seen fairy like lights from time to time. Small lights which moves around like flies around a lamp, circling around eachother in relativilly random patterns. I always learned that light travels in either straight or wavelike patterns, but these lights move chaotically, being rather stationary, not moving from one place to another, but rather around eachother in a random pattern like the flight of a beer fly, up and down, round and round. What are these microscopical lights?

And another thing I find very strange which I realised when I was having terrible headaches about ten years ago. In order to get a small relief, I pressed my palms towards my closed eyes. The first effect I had experienced before. For some reason I see light behind those closed eyes, which is very strange in deed, but this is not the strangest thing. For as I continued to press my palms towards my eyes, what emerged was mindblowing: I saw, and still see it whenever I want, -- a mesh or 3D grid like a veil built up from millions of triangles, like a 3D mesh on a computer. Can this be real? Is our brains merely advanced computers which sense reality like through CCDs, interpreting these visual signals and then recreates or re-models reality into a perception which is based on grids and textures? Or is it reality which is simply built this way? That the physical reality simply doesn't exist, that it all just happens in my mind. That you guys are infact products of my own imagination, a thought I received back when I was about five or six years old, standing in my parents' garden looking at a the winter night sky.

Has anyone else experienced the same things or is it just me? Try to press your palms against your eyes and wait until the mesh appears (if it does in the first place). What do you see? What are your theories? Does science have anything to add to this?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Forming a theory about the world based on your own experiences is flawed from the outset, as one person's experience is highly vulnerable to corruption, be it from psychological issues or just bad luck. Independently-gathered, corroborated data is what you need to form a theory that anyone else should take seriously.

If you experience auditory and/or visual hallucinations on a regular basis, go seek some help.

When your eyes are starved of light, they will try to make sense out of the tiny amount of data they have. Pressing your eyes can do all sorts of stuff to your retina, making you see all kinds of things that aren't there, but merely the result of your brain trying to make sense out of random noise.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
i think dave hit it. when i close my eyes or even when it's just dark i can swirls or patterns of color. i have noticed that i can manipulate what i see in the patterns though if i visualize something. so yes, it seems it's just your brain trying to make sense of what little visual information it has.

and yeah, pressing on your eyes or squinting hard will make them angry

[edit on 10-4-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of the holographic universe theory? Some interesting concepts there.

I would take the "fairy lights" and "mesh effects" with a grain of salt. There are a number of explanations for that, including explanations which reinforce an external reality.

Sychronicities I feel are important to understanding a more internal reality though. Sometimes it seems as if the universe is talking to you, answering your questions through books, tv shows, nature, etc. Some might say this is God speaking to you... but the mechanism may be more internal, and controllable to an extent.

From the above source:

We are really "receivers" floating through a kaleidoscopic sea of frequency, and what we extract from this sea and transmogrify into physical reality is but one channel from many extracted out of the superhologram.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I've seen the mesh as long as I can remember when I close my eyes at night. IMO they're just effects of the retina caused by a cessation of light input.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I've seen the mesh as long as I can remember when I close my eyes at night. IMO they're just effects of the retina caused by a cessation of light input.

That seams like a good explanation, which actually holds water. But where do the triangular pixel patterns come from? It's exactly like seeing a 3D mesh on the computer, like a veil which moves as if it was hanging in the wind. Like a giant curtain. I had similar experiences when I was doing '___' and shrooms back in the nineties. Reality was fragmented into fractals, spirals and mesh-like grids. I'm in no way glorifying these mind altering substances, but they are indeed mind altering. '___' mimics the effects of ergot poisoning or St Antony's Fire, which whole populations experienced back when the rye was infected with ergot shrooms. There are still reports of this phenomena today, but since we became aware of the black shrooms that grows on rye during wet summers, and it's devastating effects, it goes long time between the reports. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Check out Michael Talbot's THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE.

although it does creep into some questionable territory at some points, the majority is vastly informative and really gets you thinking in real terms about this as an actual possibility.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
funny to post this I had a dream last night about how the world is infact is in code which is taking in by the left eye and the right eye focuses in on the certain particles and atoms tah make up matter in order for us to perceive that image..
This dream would tie in with what you are sayin and with Quantum Physics...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Have you ever heard of the holographic universe theory? Some interesting concepts there.

Yes, and this was what I was refering to in the opening of my post. Films like Matrix are popular concepts based on these observations or theories.

I would take the "fairy lights" and "mesh effects" with a grain of salt. There are a number of explanations for that, including explanations which reinforce an external reality.

What is strange with the "fairy lights" is that they dissapear when I close my eyes. It's not just in my head. And where does the light I see come from when I close my eyes? It certainly can't come from the sun or any light, since my eyes are closed and even behind an inch of flesh of my hands. How can the mind produce visible light from nothing? And how can dreams exist? They too consists of light projections, like on a screen or like when we are looking at reality in the light of an external light source.

Sychronicities I feel are important to understanding a more internal reality though. Sometimes it seems as if the universe is talking to you, answering your questions through books, tv shows, nature, etc. Some might say this is God speaking to you... but the mechanism may be more internal, and controllable to an extent.

From the above source:

We are really "receivers" floating through a kaleidoscopic sea of frequency, and what we extract from this sea and transmogrify into physical reality is but one channel from many extracted out of the superhologram.

Yes, and this brings me to a new break through in science. It seams neurons communicate with radio signals. Every nerve cell has a sender and receiver. What if these neurons could actually send and receive signals from other individuals? It is my sole understanding from personal experience that we are telepathic by nature, and like sub atomic particles "communicate" in an instant seamingly defying general relativity and the c constant lightspeed, telepathy can actually break through space-time and exist over vast distances and even time itself. Creative expressions, like painting, writing or recording a song connects me with the future, while books, paintings and recorded songs others have made connects me to the past. Just walking through town connects me with those around me. It's strange that there is actually some sence in it. My doctors and shrinks link it to dopamine and schizophrenia, simply because blocking dopamine seams to limit these "delusions", which to me is as real as talking and listening.

Here in Norway we have a TV show going, made like a reality show, where the contenders are psychics. It's amazing to see how they can figure out what is inside a locked vault, how they can figure out exactly where people are, what they look like and so on. Sooner or later it will turn into science and we can completely throw away demeaning diagnoses like schizophrenia which belongs in the dark past.

Try seeing the films What the Bleep and Down the Rabbit Hole. They are popular explanations of modern quantum physics and mechanics.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

The first time i saw the swirling white lights i was fascinated, even though i knew i was doing damage to my eyes.

I can't help but wonder whether or not others have taken into account that the so-called 'matrix' is infact simply your brain, and that 'tumbling down the rabbit hole' is synonymous with exploring the mind...

just a theory...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel

Be sure to read the book itself.

It's HIGHLY flawed, as I keep pointing out in my discussions about it, but the essential data and reflexions are valid. It is a must-read book I think.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Another interesting version of this same theory can be found here; it was done by a philosopher at Oxford named Nick Bostrom;

www.simulation-argument.com...

A very worthwhile read, and relatively short.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Yes: a very good read!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The Matrix already tried this. n_n

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I tend to see the universe as a quantum computer that keeps itself in order. Life to me is but a dreamlike projection of matter and light. In dreams we can experience all kinds of the things we experience when we are awake. In dreams we are limited by walls we cannot pass through, and normally there is a horizontal plane under our feet where we experience gravity, only in dreams we can easier manipulate the forces of nature enabling us to fly among other things. I see dreams as an ultimate and alternate reality. A metaphysical projection from a smaller quantum computer, namely the brain.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
www.simulation-argument.com...
The page above contains more than enough papers and material to start with for anyone wanting to persue the simulation theory.

[edit on 25/5/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
There's a physiological reason for the swirling geometric shapes.

The eye's retina is covered in photoreceptive nerves - the famous rods and cones. Even though rods and cones are highly specialized nerve cells, which process light as their stimulus, as nerve cells, they CAN send their signal from stimuli other than light.

The other stimulis is the fluidic pressure inside your eyeball.

If ever fallen over and hit your eye or say a ball hits you in the eye - there was a flash of light.

Where did that come from?

It's a signal sent by photoreceptor neurons down the optic nerve to the brain fopr "interpretation", but the origin of the signal - the stimulus - wasn't light, it was fluidic pressure variations in the eyeball.

It's also why you "see" networks and lattices and other shapes when you place your hands over your eyes, or even just close your eyes tightly.

BTW, I've always been very interested in this phenomenon, ever since as a child I had to live in a dark room for many months after my right eye contracted a virus.

I became very proficient at flying through the grids and networks and over incredibly detailed and elaborate landcapes.

A form of meditation I still practice, which anyone can do.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by undermind]

top topics

join