It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Slips - are people really going back in time?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Without actual solid evidence, these stories are just stories. Our brains can play all kinds of tricks on us, and present these tricks to us in a way completely undiscernable from reality.

Evidence first. Theories second. Don't skip directly to theory-making, as it makes paranormal researchers look stupid. The rest of science doesn't treat evidence so casually, and that's why it's respected and paranormal study is laughed at.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
In the summer of 2001 I was shopping at the local Wal-Mart. I was wandering around the video department, killing time, while my two sons played around with the video games. While looking at DVD’s I happened upon a name a movie that I hadn’t thought about in a long time. The movie was “Rollerball”. I recalled watching it as a kid and was excited to see it again.

As I picked it up I was surprised to see that the individual actors appearing on the cover were not the ones I recalled in the movie. I didn’t recall an African American in the movie as one of the key characters at all. On closer examination I realized that it was LL Cool J pictured on the cover. Which made me immediately realize this was not the 1975 production I had seen as a kid.

My next thought was one of surprise that they had remade the movie and I hadn’t heard about it at all. I’m not huge on movies but I tend to pay attention when they remake a classic I enjoyed as a kid.

With the copy of the new version in hand I wandered around the video department and was pleasantly surprised to find that the original version, with James Caan, was also available on DVD.

Deciding I didn’t really want to buy either movie (dumb move in hindsight) I put them back and never thought about them again after we left the store.

Never thought about them that is until, in January of 2002, I was sitting at home working on the computer, TV playing in the background, a commercial came on that about knocked me out of my chair. A commercial was announcing the new movie that was about to hit theatres… “Rollerball” starring, among others, LL Cool J.

Now, unless Wal-Mart was heavy into video pirating (and remind you… I stumbled on this movie quite a long time before it’s release) I have never come up with a logical explanation for this event.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
Evidence first. Theories second. Don't skip directly to theory-making, as it makes paranormal researchers look stupid. The rest of science doesn't treat evidence so casually, and that's why it's respected and paranormal study is laughed at.

One possibility is that its respected by those who respect it. Its respected by those who adhere to the rules and regulations - the conditions and constraints - created by itself. As such is...I guess just the same way as the Paranormal camp can be...as much a circle of friends all shaking hands and defining/agreeing what they see as *truth* for it fits within their agreed definition of *truth*.

Such is the danger of coming from one perspective - it sometimes removes the possibility of other versions of whatever the *truth* may be. Other pieces of the puzzle - the wider picture.

As one ATSer so adequately put it to me once:

There´s a long tradition of both sides ridiculing each other. One side is called "dangerous quacks" and the other is called "unenlightened dullards". In this way they weaken each others expertise. Of course, you can never convince someone of your side if you treat that person disrespectfully. The tactic then is, to treat someones knowledge with respect...and thereby can he hold respect for your own knowledge.

...or as others have put it:

"A legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist. Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein

"Science and religion are two windows that people look through, trying to understand the big universe outside, trying to understand why we are here. The two windows give different views, but both look out at the same universe. Both views are one-sided, neither is complete. Both leave out essential features of the real world. And both are worthy of respect."
- Freeman Dyson

I personally don't think either side can afford to be dismissive of the other. It doesn't serve either to be so.

Peace.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by alien]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Hrm.. I'm of the opinion that as long as your mind is open and you seek the truth, whether you come from a standpoint of 'evidence first' or whether you come from the 'theory first' point you'll both end up in the same place, just coming from different angles.

Personally I find it fun to theorize about the possibilities of things, some people like to do this and then look for evidence to fit their theory, isn't this exactly how science works? Everything is just theory until evidence validates it.

Paranormal Research is a field which is in its infancy, and sadly it won't get past that stage unless real substantial evidence is turned up. That in itself is a contradiction, most of what we find 'paranormal' is very hard to prove, sometimes impossible, and falls into a gray area between 'faith' and 'reason'

Personally I think 'time slips' as they're called, could be fractures in space-time, like holes. Time is non linear, past, present, future, are all simultaneous. So it's not impossible that if the conditions are right, we can bleed through to other times, or other times can bleed through to us.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seether
Paranormal Research is a field which is in its infancy, and sadly it won't get past that stage unless real substantial evidence is turned up. That in itself is a contradiction, most of what we find 'paranormal' is very hard to prove, sometimes impossible, and falls into a gray area between 'faith' and 'reason'

I'd argue that paranormal 'research' is not in any state of infancy at all.

Rather it was the very first state before what we may now call Scientific Research.

The word Paranormal to me seems somewhat of a contradiction: It assumes it is firstly something not completely 'normal'...yet to me it is something that has resided within our cultures - all cultures - since day one. I don't know of a culture that doesn't have elements of it interwoven in its history. So how is it in any way abnormal?

What may well be within a state of infancy is the blending of Paranormal and 'Science'...to me the true infancy here is not within the paranormal, but within the scientific. To me the infancy comes from the ancient attempting to dilute itself into the modern...and the modern attempting to assilimate the ancient.

Though I'm also aware this may all be a case of simple semantics and what people may define as 'research'.

Is not the handing down of knowledges effectively a form of research for the receiver of those gifts of knowledge? Is not the studying and the learning of these ways effectively a form of research? So to the utilising of them?

I'd argue it is. I'd also chip in this bit: My current role within my employment is as a Researcher. The current focus/research project I am involved in are these *types* of topics. More directly though, how Spirituality impacts upon Mental Health. How those who operate in ways that *science* may see as 'quackery' impact and/or effect positive wellbeing and recovery within those experiencing a period of supposed Mental Unwellness.

An element of my research is to walk alongside people who *science* may call 'quacks'...and record what they do and the testimonials of those who receive what they do.

...all rather interesting for sure...

Peace.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I had a Time slip experience when i was 7 years old back in the summer of (JUly 1968) It was a clear sunny hot day.. I was playing in my neighborhood back yard at a near by woods..I decided to go for a walk into the woods by myself as I was doing so ( A ten minute walk) I was pulling off branches and thick leaves away from my body, face and hair until i got to the other side of the woods..I came out and saw a futuristic type of neighborhood...The houses, the roads looked well advanced ( Modern) New, sparkling clean, smooth, not made out of black tar but silvery shiny metalic cement that you can see the sun shining right off of it.
The houses looked futuristic with alot of big windows, pink and orange roof tops, colorful, well cleaned and the streetlights looked different too..it did not look like the late 1960's back then when i was 7..iIt look more like the year 2025 not the houses of today...I kept on stareing in shocked for 6 minutes..no people was there..just me and the futuristic scene..I went back into the woods to go home to tell my mom..When i did..my mom said " Stay out of the woods" The next day I sneak back into the woods to find the futuristic place and it was no longer there..I looked and looked..It was never to be found again..That was the last time i saw it and it was ONLY once.. 39 years later..This experience haunts me every now and then until this day of what i saw and i do not live that far from the location I had my time slip experience..Today it is still not there and this experience will remain with me for the rest of my life.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'd like to relate a story told to me by my father after I told him about a "strange occurrence" that happened to myself and some friends. He became very quiet for a moment and then asked me if I wanted to hear a story. He said to me that I couldn't repeat it to my mother and made me promise. He then recounted a story where they were with my mother’s cousin. She was into a variety of occult things and while they were all seated in a circle together asked if they would like a change of scenery. Jokingly my mother and father said that sounded nice and she told everyone to link hands. My father then paused as if almost realizing how crazy what he was about to say sounded in his own head. Then continued "I don't know what happened or how we got there, but the next thing I know we were in the mountains." I asked him to elaborate and he said they were high up on a mountain in a vast mountain range and he could see for miles in every direction. He says he doesn't remember how long they stayed or what else happened while they were there, but that later they all found themselves again in the room where they had started. He said the first person he looked at was my mother who gave him the look like...let’s get the hell out of here. After that they departed and he said they never spoke of it again, but that my story reminded him of that.

I know I cannot prove what I say is true, nor can I vouch for the veracity of my father’s experiences all those years ago. This post reminded me of it and thought in the spirit of my father I should also share that with you.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I time slipped one time

I was 15 or 16 and at a friends house playing a game on the computer, when all of a sudden, hell I cant explain the logic of this, but I was all of a sudden walking to his house again but unaware of the slip. When I got to his house, again, the same moment we both went "WOA, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?" I was sketchy about telling him what I thought in case he'd just copy me and pretend like it happened, like how people think they feel something when a magician asks them if they do, so I asked him, and then we came to the same conclusion, we had somehow relived the last half hour, without knowing it, until of course when we got to the moment of the slip for the second time.

It really messed with my head.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The Theory of a Timeslip is smiply that a object of mass could "fall" through time. It is unaware of getting there, but it can happen anywhere and anytime. We have seen things like UFOs and Ghost, but could that be a person from the past or future that just took a wrong turn? It can make a good ghost story, but it will happen. There was a women living in Essex, she looked out the 2nd story window of her home and saw in the near by pound a man drowning. Before she could see anything else, she ran down the stairs and out the door to save him, but as she reached the pond, it was empty, no man in sight. She felt herself light headed and decided to drive into town. She told this story in a nerby pub where one the Bartender said that a least 30 years ago a young man drowned in that pond. Was she there? Or was it a ghost? Can horrifying event somehow leave a imprint on the past so much that people in the present can see it?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What I originally thought of as DejaVu may actually have been a timeslip the more I read about it.

Let me rewind a tiny bit, one day I was at my girls mothers house helping her move things around -- next thing i see is me sitting at her AUNTS house (about 1 hr away) having dinner surrounded by her family, who were talking about, oddly, threesomes, cheating, and pasta... dont ask... then just as quick I was back in my gf's mothers house moving her kitchen table. I thought nothing of this, actually for a while was convinced I dreamt the entire situation (Moving and all).

However, about 5 months later I am sitting at her aunts house, having christmas dinner, which oddly consisted of various pastas, surrounded by her family at their dining table, her mom and her cousin talking about threesomes, and cheating, while her uncle talked about the pasta and how odd it was having pasta.

As i was sitting there i just looked around, reccognized where i was as if it was a previous memory... now like I said I chalked it up to DejaVu, in the aspect that my memory was being misfiled in my brain as a longterm memory instead of into my short term memory... but now I am a little torn as to if I might have slipped through time, had a premonition, or what happened.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

hello, i had an experience when i was 6yrs old, i know i was not dreaming,i woke up in the middle of the night it was dark upstairs but at the bottom was a light comeing from the liveingroom,stood in the doorway was a young girl abit older than i was, she was talking to someone inside the room i could hear mufled voices but couldn't make out what she and the other vioces were saying i was halfway down the stairs i instantly knew that the girl was my mother when she was a girl, i felt fritend and ran back up to my bedroom and got back in bed i coverd my head with my beding and went to sleep, next morning when my mum was brushing my hiar geting me ready for school i siad to her mummy i saw you last night when you was a little girl, she replied you mustv'e been dreaming, i never mentioned it again as i knew she wouldn't believe me,at the time when i was born we lived with my mums parents it was the house my mum grew up in, in liverpool,both my grandparents had died when i was about 2yrs old, we had moved to oxfordshire when i was 11yrs old and when i was 22yrs old and just got married my mother died sudenly from a stroke, my father gave me a bag full of old photoes that i had never seen before and in it was a photo of the girl i saw it is a photo of my mother at the age of 7yrs old,so i know i wasn't dreaming, this has stayed with me all my life like it was yesterday, i am now 55yrs old.i haven't ever experienced any thing like that since,but as i siad it has stayed with me all my life,iv'e had other experiences over the years but not related with this one.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xylophobia
I was sitting at home working on the computer, TV playing in the background, a commercial came on that about knocked me out of my chair. A commercial was announcing the new movie that was about to hit theatres… “Rollerball” starring, among others, LL Cool J.

Now, unless Wal-Mart was heavy into video pirating (and remind you… I stumbled on this movie quite a long time before it’s release) I have never come up with a logical explanation for this event.

Ah, yes! I've had this happen before too! Also with a movie. I distinctivly remember seeing a trailer for a movie, and then 3 years later they announced a new movie being made, then afterwards the trailer was released, and it was the trailer I had seen 3 years prior. I could no longer find any information or trailers from 3 years prior, like it was all in my head, but it was all acurate.

It's also happened with events. I am so certain something has happened that I saw on the news, and then a year later the same story happens and I'd say "Wait, I thought so-and-so already so-and-so" but it never happened, no one else remembers these things, like only I saw them.

I can't come up with an explanation though.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
above poster...........was it the same film with LL Cool J or a different one?

love time travel stuff and timeslips blow me away!! Reminds me of Goodnight Sweetheart the old UK programme where a bloke would walk down an alley in like 1995 or whatever and come out in 1940 something in the middle of world war 2. Starred Nicholas Lyndurst..........

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
No it wasn't the LL Cool J movie, I can't actually remember what movie it was. This was a few years ago so the name has left me. These may not be related to a time slip though, because I also dreamed about a Tsunami flowing over hotels 2 days before the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. It should be noted that it was the first and only dream I've ever had related to water and the scenes and imagry were exactly identical to what I saw on the news report from an amateur footage in a Hotel room. I tried telling people but they aren't interested or think I'm lying.

If you liked that TV episode you saw there's a TV show that I can't remember the name of about a cop that wakes in the 1970s. I've seen the ad on TV but can't remember the name.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think your on about Life on Mars. Ive seen both series of it. Brilliant!!! I love time travel stuff prob why the Back to the Future trilogy is among my all time fav movie

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
In 2004 I can attest to a "glitch in the matrix" it was experienced by myself and my daughter. We had parked on a numbered level in a parking garage. We were in Pennsylvania, not too far from down town Pittsburgh, near the Ohio River where a Live concert was going to be held by a local radio station.

We went to eat lunch at the local Hard Rock Cafe before the concert, did a bit of shopping and decided to take the bags back to the car so we wouldn't have to stand in line for the concert with them.

We took the elevator to the level that we knew the car was parked on, opened the door to the level (it was also color coded so there could have been no mistake) walked to where I had parked the car, and it was gone...poof...vanished.

At first, I thought someone had stolen it because the two cars that were parked next to it were still there, but my car was gone (a maroon PTCruiser) and the space was empty, stood right in the middle of it.

She looked at me, I looked at her our mouths kinda dropped open, and at almost the same time we echoed one another..."It's a glitch in the Matrix!!"

Aside from being somewhat spooked...we walked right back out the door that we just came in, took the stairs up one more level to make sure we were on the right level...we were...then we went down one level on the same stairs to make sure again...and returned to where we began...cracking jokes and saying, "is this really happening????"

Went opened the door on the original level we had just left in the first place, time lapse to check the level above and below not more than 4 minutes...and as you can guess...there was my car, in it's original space that not 4 minutes before stood empty, and flanked by the same cars that were there when I parked it, and when it was gone.

This wasn't the only time slip that day...but it was the first of two more that happened.

I am a firm believer that "glitches" happen all the time...as reality is subjective to ones surroundings and their beliefs in what is truly visible. Just go a hair's breath one way or another and you can experience the same realities with a bit of tweak, kind of like a puzzle piece that just doesn't quite fit...but when all the pieces fit, that is the reality that you inhabit.

~Holly

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I had the strangest experience about a year and a half ago while working at a retail store. This girl came in and I swore I knew her. I was thinking ok this is her name but I wasnt sure where I knew her. She came up to me and called me by name and I had no name tag on. We seemed to know each other and I even remember that she was recently pregnant and engaged! Now we stood there for about 20 mins trying to figure out where we knew each other. She had just moved to the area a month ago and she had already had her baby. When I remember her which was vague, I remember her being pregnant and recently engaged. I knew I didnt know her from where I was living because she had just moved there and her baby was 3 months old! It drove me and her nuts everytime she came in. I knew her name and she knew a couple things about me and it was just really freaky. To this day I have NO IDEA where I know her from. I have never been to where she moved from and she had never been to FL before. I thought iwas maybe a myspace friend but she didnt have one. This is probably one of the most disturbing cases of I know you but Im not sure where from I have ever had! The entire time I worked there when she would come in we would both ask questions as to how we would know each other and each time it wasnt it. So weird and kind of freaky to me.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by rachel07

Maybe some people have given us a heads up to whats coming...
Ever heard of man named "Chesley Bonestell"? known as the father of modern space art, whose visionary paintings of spacecraft, orbital platforms and moon landings, made in cooperation with Wernher von Braun, helped convince the U.S. Congress that the original space program was feasible and worth funding.

Born in 1888 the man was the first to envision what it would look like to stand on other words... he's most famous work was published in life magazine back in the 1940's

I think you'll find this last image the most interesting

For an old guy he knew what it really would be like to stand on a moon of Saturn or travel in a space craft long before ever dreamed it up...
looking back how could he have guessed so well? or did he guess at all? maybe he'd seen it first hand and chose to tell us what it would be like through his art?

[edit on 10-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

Wow OP, thanks for that post it's always nice to come across interesting information that makes you think. That is amazing how well he predicted the way things might be while traveling through space. It really makes you wonder just how he came up with those ideas.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Here is the small amount of information I have and my personal experience of bold street in Liverpool.

A lot of people assume that it’s the main bold street run that these timeslips occur, Bold St further investigation has show it to be the small extension to Bold St that runs alongside St Lukes Church

Put 53.401523,-2.974817 into googlemaps

St Lukes sits alongside Hope ST. which joins Liverpool Cathedral and Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. Check out the helix antenna array on the roof (sorry the lightning conductor on the roof).

More general information about bold street can be found Here

My story or rather my interaction with Bold St. started in 1985 when I nearly 20-ish. I would park there to pick up my girlfriend who worked in a shop (in the other Bold St.) as it was a street I could always find a place for short term parking, other than the day being a Friday in late June I recall nothing about it being unusual. Except that the radio in my car started to drift between stations and static and never worked after that day (from my perspective).

Wendy my girlfriend at the time approached the car with a look that said I was in big trouble, after climbing in I got the usual deafening silence, followed by ‘where were you last night’. Between the radio drifting between stations and static, plus the fact I had spent the evening in watching TV with her, through me a bit, but not as much as her response ‘ That was Thursday night today’s Saturday’. Heated argument aside, she was accusing me of sloping of with my mates for a drunken binge, which wasn’t unknown for me to do, being a young man about town, but I always recalled doing it and came prepared with flowers and a bit of sweet talk. She didn’t believe me about the missing day, nor some of my friends other than a few close friends who had known me for years and new that I would have been honest about going elsewhere to them.

From Wendy’s perspective, she got to Bold St at the usually time where there was no sign of me nor the car and had waited over half an hour, before giving up and making her own way home. She called my home a couple of times and spoke to my mother to see if I was back yet. From my prospective, when she approached the car on Saturday I thought it was Friday.

Since then it’s always been a bit of a joke about whenever I’m late that I’m probably sleeping it off in bold street and when explain the origin of the joke again... has brought out a couple of other peoples which I’ll post if there’s any interest.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join