It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X to teens now, what are you thinking??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hi all...

Let me start by saying that according to Wikipedia, I missed out on being a Generation X-er by one year....

Generation X is a term used to describe generations in many countries around the world born from 1965 to around 1982.

en.wikipedia.org...

With that said, my rant is, what the heck are you all thinking these days? Has all common sense gone totally out the window?

I was just talking to some people tonight from the ages of 23-29...most of them were all tattooed-out, tongue, lip, eyebrow piercings...and I don't even care about tats and piercings except that...

These people were complaining that they couldn't find good paying jobs...and I was like, well, do you have a college degree....?

Did you show up wearing those baggy clothes, metal in your face, looking like you haven't shaved or bathed in a week, like you do now...slouching, using ghetto slang, bad grammar and stinking?

I actually "polled" them since they were drinking, they took it well and answered...and my questions were of this nature:

How many of you gals have kids that have never been married? All 7 girls said that yes, they had children, some had 3 kids by the way...and this is a Wednesday night, at a bar, at midnight and all 7 girls who said they had kids, were out smoking, drinking, etc...I was like, where are your kids then now?

"At home with mom, at the "dude's" mom's, with the "dude"" were the answers I got to that question.

They laughed when I asked them each question...I am not downing the WHOLE generation of below 35's but COME ON...

And they wonder why the only job they can get is server, pizza delivery person, help desk drones, etc???

I guess my main questions are, and I really want to know the answer to these, so anyone under the age of 35, please enlighten me!

1) With all the means of birth control out there, why do so many of you have 3 kids by the time you're 25, all with different people, no job, or a crappy job, and expect your parents to foot the bills, babysit and "rescue" you. Why do you have kids that young to begin with when you aren't even married, with all the birth control out there now?

2) How the heck do you expect to even have a life, when you dropped out of high school, when many of you have parents that can afford to send you to at least a trade school, or a city college or even a state college? Did you expect a job paying you 80K a year would just drop from the sky?

I could go on and on, but I guess I will leave it at these 2 burning questions I want answered...

And to all of you hard working, single under 35 year olds out there with no kids, this doesn't apply to you, but feel free to chime on in. And to all of you working hard with tats and face, tongue and eyebrow piercings who have found great jobs....this doesn't apply to you either, unless you have a bunch of kids with different people...then, I still want to know, what the heck???

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
So you talk to a handful of generation x'ers at a bar and think you've got a handle on us?I'll let you in on something "dude" we also like to joke around alot i bet at least half the answers weren't straight.I know if i was getiing my buzz on and some old fulla started polling me i feed him a few lines as well.Sorry for my poor spelling and grandma but i dropped outta highschool and my babies are crying in my ear and im late for meeting me mates at the bar.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

1) With all the means of birth control out there, why do so many of you have 3 kids by the time you're 25, all with different people, no job, or a crappy job, and expect your parents to foot the bills, babysit and "rescue" you. Why do you have kids that young to begin with when you aren't even married, with all the birth control out there now?

Amen to that. Life doesn't even start till 25... the best advice is never have kids before 25. Work on your career and own life and you'll probably end up being a better example to kids when/if you do have them.

2) How the heck do you expect to even have a life, when you dropped out of high school, when many of you have parents that can afford to send you to at least a trade school, or a city college or even a state college? Did you expect a job paying you 80K a year would just drop from the sky?

Because we were babied by our baby boomer parents and modern culture which gave us a false impression of how hard one has to work to be successful.

On another note, not all generation X'ers are lazy tattooed pierced spoiled brats. That's like saying all baby boomers were unmotivated loser drug addict hippies in the late 60s and 70s. And even those who did take part in that culture probably outgrew it at some point.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

Define 'So Many' and please show graphical or statistical comparisons to other generations prior to (or post) Gen-X. Also, please show the statistical analysis of individuals who gave birth out of wedlock using the same type of comparison I requested above.

Define 'life'. Do you mean the standard life as a cog in the wheel? And, why do you assume that many of 'us' have parents who can afford to send 'us' to school?

And to all of you hard working, single under 35 year olds out there with no kids, this doesn't apply to you, but feel free to chime on in. And to all of you working hard with tats and face, tongue and eyebrow piercings who have found great jobs....this doesn't apply to you either, unless you have a bunch of kids with different people...then, I still want to know, what the heck???

And why does this not apply to those highlighted in bold? These are obvious examples of a flaw in your theory, so why just disregard them? I'd think that the opinions of those in bold would hold even more impact.

I'd also like to point out that wherever you happened to be talking to these people should give you some insight into the reasons that they don't have jobs or whatever the complaint is. If you were talking to them on the street corner in the middle of the day, you likely caught the group without jobs. If yo caught them in a bar late night on a Wednesday, they probably didn't have jobs to go to the next day.

I recommend going back to the locations you polled last night on a Friday or Saturday night and repoll the number of people with jobs and such. Friday and Saturday night you're likely to find a larger sampling since fewer people have to work the next day.

And stop talking smack about my g-g-g-generation!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

They're just modern hippies but the clothes have changed. The only sad part is that they're having kids which they can't/won't care for.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Hey I am ranting in the rant section!

But if you want some statistics here they are :

Over forty percent of adolescents will become pregnant before reaching age twenty(41 percent of whites and 63 percent of nonwhites). By age 18, one in four young women(24 percent) will have a pregnancy. [3]

The increase of births to unmarried women has increased dramatically and this obviously contributes to the number of single parents households. Since 1960, births to unmarried women has increased more than 400 percent. In 1960, only 5.3 percent of all births were out of wedlock. By 1990, this had increased to 28.0. The percentage of births is disproportionately higher to educationally & economically disadvantaged mothers.

The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate of any developed country. It is twice as high as England, France & Canada, three times as high as Sweden and four times as high as The Netherlands

Here's the link for the rest of the stats:
www.teenshelter.org...

Births to unwed mothers have increased since 1960 400% That's OUTRAGEOUS. I don't care who you are, you have to think that's horrifying.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
And here's some more statistics I find appalling, the high school dropout rate in 50 major U.S. cities is %52 now, more then half of the kids are not even going to have a high school diploma!

The analysis of graduates in the 2003-04 school year examined U.S. Department of Education data from metropolitan areas surrounding the country's 50 most populous cities. Of the principal school districts serving those cities, LAUSD's graduation rate was the ninth-lowest, the report found. Nationally, 52% of students in the main school districts of urban areas graduated.

Source, L.A. Times article:
www.latimes.com...

So I am not "dissing" anyone's g-g-g-g-g-generation just asking what is going on with it??

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

LOL good point, but I know these kids and have known them for a number of years and see them with their kids as well...so no they weren't just answering with a lot of bull.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Its all good just wanted to stick up for my generation, we're not all hopeless mate.Unfortunately its not all untrue you would be mortified if you came to my town.I'm also a hypocrite because im one of the worst for criticizing generation next or whatever this new generation is called.Now theres some useless buggers lol jkes.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
So ...middle of the week, midnight and your sitting in a bar chatting up young mothers and swilling beers..
And you think you can preach?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuRising

Well first of all, I am a woman, and 2nd of all, I own the bar...so yes, I am there at all hours sometimes...day and night.

So do you care to address the issues I put forward? Or do you just want to accuse me of hitting on my patrons? I know how much they spend, when they come in and they talk to me about their lives.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

Hiyah Azador,

I understand and I am not "dissing" your whole generation, I am just asking why oh why some of you don't use birth control, and why oh why you drop out of school...

I love the kids that come into my bar, somewhere beneath the metal in their faces and the big bravado and the mistakes they are making so early in life, I care about them, and I don't understand why they make these huge sweeping mistakes that will so hinder their lives and they are oblivious, won't take responsibility and keep pumping out children that they do not want.

I am seeking answers here. Tell me why you think this is all happening?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Hiyah ScramJet

Thanks for your comments, I surely don't know what to do about this, I wish I did, but it's only going to get even worse before it gets better...

Be afraid...be VERY afraid.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Why do i think this is happening.
To be honest i think we had less boundaries than your generation and its a snow ball effect with the next generation having slightly less again.We have more freedom and more money than any generation before us.Communication is easier i cant tell you the pickles ive got my self in due to txt messaging and msn.I also believe we are more open minded and confident of ourselves.We have been desensitized to violence and sex alot earlier in life.We are also very much consumers and most of us straight puppets to advertising.We want instant gratification and we dont have to wait, thats why we are shocking with credit.Most of us dont think about our futures or any consequences of our actions.We are also more lost and not as sure of ourselves due to multiculturalism hence getting things like tattoos and piercings.
We truly are a product of our environment!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Of course thats a gross generalization.
I realize there is a contradiction in there about being more confident but also more lost but i think you get what i mean.
Also really thought you were just some complaining old man.Had i known you were a woman i wouldn't have been so rude even if it was tounge in cheek.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Azador]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

This comment stuck out for me the most, because I have seen this in just the last year first hand.

I believe it is the fault of the parents. The grandaughter of my boyfriend just turned 18. She had a baby in January. This is what her parents have done for her since they found out she got pregnant.

They bought her a trailer to live in, that is just down the road from their house. They had her declared independant, then got her signed up for all sorts of welfare programs, so that the visits to the Dr., and the delivery of the child wouldn't cost them a dime. They took her out of school and hired a tutor to home school her during the pregnancy and for 4 months afterwards. She just went back to school about 2 weeks ago. They let her quit her part time job as a burger flipper the day they found out she was pregnant.

Since the birth of the child, the mother of this girl has altered her work schedule to nights so that she can babysit the baby while the daughter is in school. The baby sleeps over night about 4 times a week with the grandparents so that the daughter can go out and spend time with the father of the baby.

Last Thursday the parents of this girl took my boyfriend and I out to dinner since it was my boyfriends birthday. During our meal, the grandaughter called (I kid you not) about 10 times within an hour begging her parents to come home and babysit the baby so that she and her boyfriend could go out four wheeling! Oh, and please stop by the fast food chicken restaurant and bring dinner!

I could not believe it! The parents actually rushed dinner so they could get home and let this girl go play!

I do believe that if the parents were not such suckers, and taught this girl some responsibility before she got pregnant, it might not have happened!

I mean, who exactly is the person in control, here?

This is absolutely disgusting to me, not to mention that as a tax payer, this is where some of my money is going. To support this girl, and now her baby!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
LoL my humble apologies..Preacher and confessor..aren't all publicans?

To be honest I think Azador has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his posts.

Being from the earlier end of Gen X (i.e 1968) I missed most of the fallout from the "information age" so even with my eyebrow piercing I still managed to get a good job, loving wife, fantastic daughter and 3 houses and it has been a veerryy long time since I made it to a pub for anything more than one beer weekend or midweek.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
As a late Gen Xer, I completely agree. I am in a hiring position and the candidates are getting more and more dismal as the months/years go by. Tattoos, piercings, bad attitudes, lazy ways and an "F - it" mentality.

At first I was judgmental and condemning, but after long observations I have come to the conclusion that it is really not their fault.

Who then?

One word - BOOMERS. The most selfish and self-centered generation to ever walk the earth. They have discarded everything that was no longer useful, didn't feel good, didn't fit or wasn't convenient - and that includes their kids. Everything from disco to diets, one fad after the other, as a way of "finding" themselves but losing their families and common sense along the way.

There is an entire generation that walks around virtually parentless, but they sure do have some really understanding Boomer roommates/bestfriends.

So much of what we are witnessing is a desparate cry for sorely-needed attention and parameters. They are literally the walking emotionally wounded.

Good help us, one day they will be in charge. Oh - But not until the Boomers let go of their last bit of power and influence with their dying breaths. Rest assured, all of the money and resources will go with them and their children will be just as lost as ever.

For now, I just have pity on them (their kids) and try to steer them toward self-respect, good jobs and a brighter future.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I guess I made gen Y by a year and I completely agree. Kids having kids. I went to college while 19 year olds from my highschool were getting married and having babies. The thought still makes me shudder. I don't know why, but maybe it is my unwillingness to mature that I become physically ill when I think about having a kid.

So I am a college graduate, no tats, no piercings, and I still am jobless (well I don't have a real job anyway). I guess I do kind of have one thing in common with those people in your story, I have an *** it attitude. Its a generation of apathy and cynicism, but can you blame us given our environment?

Haha, really though thats a cop out and the only reason many of us are so unwilling to "get real" is because the stress of schooling is becoming so great and competitive that when we are out, we feel we have some living to do. That's why I am a drunken musician, but I feel like I have a good enough head on my shoulders to get with it in the next couple years.

However, those with children, who are responsible for other lives, have no excuse for such nonsense. You better believe that if I accidentally procreated, my life as I know it would end and the real world would hit me hard, but I'd deal.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Azador

Wow Azador you hit the nail right on the head there! I totally agree with everything you said...especially the part about the boundaries lowering by each generation, and the desensitization of sex and violence, bravo!

That would tend to explain a lot of it, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject and yes I can safely say this: If I had had the internet when I was in college, I don't know if I would have graduated either to tell you the truth!

To put it in perspective, when I was a kid, middle school years there were only 5 tv channels ...and most of them if you can believe this, went off the air at like 1am LOL.

Anyway yes there's a HUGE difference in the technology you all have access to at such a young age now. But thanks for your thoughts and experiences!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join